Jump to content

DRC (updated with story): Littrell -- Aune remains UNT's starting QB after today's scrimmage


Recommended Posts

Y’all remember the time we passed up a legacy player who now has 31 starts under his belt at UH to sign 2 quarterbacks who are no longer with our team that combined for a total of seven starts with us? Good times.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Y’all remember the time we passed up a legacy player who now has 31 starts under his belt at UH to sign 2 quarterbacks who are no longer with our team that combined for a total of seven starts with us? Good times.

Tune could have transfered here instead of Gunnell and people would still be justifying Aune being the 1 (for now).

  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

I sure haven’t seen him in any of the videos. The trio I have seen the most with the 1s is Bush, Maclin, and Burns. 

No videos, no mentions by SL, nothing from Vito and nothing from Smith.  Tells me he either hasn't fully recovered from last year's injury or is hurt again.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Tune could have transfered here instead of Gunnell and people would still be justifying Aune being the 1 (for now).

I don’t have to have Aune as number 1, I’d be just as happy to see him passed by a better option. I don’t care either way. I do, however, hate the anybody but Aune premise. That anybody could be as bad or much, much worse.

My two biggest things are: 1. what a player did anywhere else does not entitle him to the starting job at UNT, he needs to earn it like everyone else. 2. just because Aune hasn’t been publicly dethroned (yet) does not mean the season is already a waste.

If Aune is as bad as many want him to be and Littrell plays him anyway, those folks will be elated talking about the next head coach/quarterback combo until the 2023 season begins.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If Aune is as bad as many want him to be and Littrell plays him anyway, those folks will be elated talking about the next head coach/quarterback combo until the 2023 season begins.

I would be elated to have SL be so successful that he gets another contract. SL getting fired means starting from scratch with a new staff and philosophy which means a rebuild with little momentum. That's not a recipe for prolonged success.

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

I would be elated to have SL be so successful that he gets another contract. SL getting fired means starting from scratch with a new staff and philosophy which means a rebuild with little momentum. That's not a recipe for prolonged success.

Same here.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I would be elated to have SL be so successful that he gets another contract. SL getting fired means starting from scratch with a new staff and philosophy which means a rebuild with little momentum. That's not a recipe for prolonged success.

Most of us want our coach to be the guy but time and time again we shown the cold hard truth on why he probably isn't (horrible record vs teams with a winning record, poor bowl record, poor QB development post-Fine, etc.). 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Y’all remember the time we passed up a legacy player who now has 31 starts under his belt at UH to sign 2 quarterbacks who are no longer with our team that combined for a total of seven starts with us? Good times.

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

200.gif

No.   Not good times.

In what way did we pass him up?

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

In what way did we pass him up?

IIRC, we had offered him initially.  Then later on (I think after we had signed the other two), after he decommitted from somewhere, he asked if the offer was still good, and we told him no.  At least that's the story that was told around here, as I remember it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

In what way did we pass him up?

If memory serves we pulled his offer and stuck with Bean and Martin after he flirted with other schools the same way we did with Garrison Johnson.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Y’all remember the time we passed up a legacy player who now has 31 starts under his belt at UH to sign 2 quarterbacks who are no longer with our team that combined for a total of seven starts with us? Good times.

Passed up? We offered and he picked Houston instead. 

  • Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why all the drama about SL putting his 2021 Frisco Bowl starting QB as the 2022 season opening QB?  Most coaches in the FBS will be doing the same with whoever their QB was that started in the last game of 2021.

I still think Grant Gunnell will play some in the first 2 games & could be the starter no later than mid-season. 
 

GMG!

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I would be elated to have SL be so successful that he gets another contract. SL getting fired means starting from scratch with a new staff and philosophy which means a rebuild with little momentum. That's not a recipe for prolonged success.

There is NO momentum now.  It was all sucked out of fans at the Frisco Bowl game.   The last three (3) losing seasons would have meant a change at most FBS programs.   If this season is a bust too then it's time for NEW Momentum with a new HC.   The Rangers just did it today (for the fans!).

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Why all the drama about SL putting his 2021 Frisco Bowl starting QB as the 2022 season opening QB?  Most coaches in the FBS will be doing the same with whoever their QB was that started in the last game of 2021.

I still think Grant Gunnell will play some in the first 2 games & could be the starter no later than mid-season. 
 

GMG!

I believe the same, Jim.  Aune will have to play lights out to keep Gunnell off of the field.  If he doesn't then he becomes the one who pushes Gunnell to his best.  

We have such good receivers that we should do more passing this year.  Then again, as long as our backs are carrying at 5,6,7 yards a carry and its successful we may see last year revisited.  Phil Bennett said he thinks our defense has filled the holes from last year so I believe that this is a more talented than we've had recently.  Moreover, they seem to be playing with a lot more intensity.

  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Seth is 4-8, 4-6, and 6-7 the last three seasons = 14-21.

Last year was the first time we legitimately made a bowl game since 2018 when we went 9-4. You think we are still falling, I see us as on the upswing. 2020 was a better record than 2019 and 2021 was better than 2020.

  • Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Last year was the first time we legitimately made a bowl game since 2018 when we went 9-4. You think we are still falling, I see us as on the upswing. 2020 was a better record than 2019 and 2021 was better than 2020.

They had to invent a last-minute new Bowl for two lumbering 6-6 programs. 

And we couldn't even stay close to them at a game in our own backyard!

Reputation Management is Not Pig Lipstick - Business 2 Community

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

There is NO momentum now.  It was all sucked out of fans at the Frisco Bowl game.   The last three (3) losing seasons would have meant a change at most FBS programs.   If this season is a bust too then it's time for NEW Momentum with a new HC.   The Rangers just did it today (for the fans!).

I believe positive momentum can be gained in a single season. Starting over with a whole new staff delays it due to the need for a rebuild to fit the new philosophies. Obviously if he stinks it up, replace him. I'm just saying the obvious wish should be that the program has a big year and we build on it.

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I believe positive momentum can be gained in a single season. Starting over with a whole new staff delays it due to the need for a rebuild to fit the new philosophies. Obviously if he stinks it up, replace him. I'm just saying the obvious wish should be that the program has a big year and we build on it.

Yes, agree, if it goes bad, replace him.  And we hope every season is a big year, but few have been.

TCU and SMUt are both starting over with a new HC and staff.  They are not concerned with the rebuilds.  Both have more momentum and are still seen as much better than us with our 7th year head coach.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I believe positive momentum can be gained in a single season. Starting over with a whole new staff delays it due to the need for a rebuild to fit the new philosophies. Obviously if he stinks it up, replace him. I'm just saying the obvious wish should be that the program has a big year and we build on it.

Disagree, I think a change in head coaches always creates a certain amount of excitement in the program.  Doesn't mean it will work out in the end, however it will bring hope for better results.

Programs these days change head coaches for an immediate upgrade.  Not that they won't give a new staff time, but few programs are going to want a 3 year or more plan to get better. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, NT80 said:

Yes, agree, if it goes bad, replace him.  And we hope every season is a big year, but few have been.

TCU and SMUt are both starting over with a new HC and staff.  They are not concerned with the rebuilds.  Both have more momentum and are still seen as much better than us with our 7th year head coach.  

If we're looking at TCU and SMU, the comparison shouldn't be made. SMU is coming off 3 straight winning seasons including a 10-win season and their quarterback had 41 total TDs last year with 12 interceptions. If we're comparing, UNT had 44 total offensive touchdowns and our quarterbacks threw 14 interceptions. Like it or not, they're in a better position for a coach to come in and build on what they've got. Plus Sonny Dykes was hired away, not fired for bad performance.

As for TCU, they've had a lot of success in the early 2010s and were churning out 11 win seasons as recently as 2017. Gary Patterson had given 4 years of sub-par performance after that 2017 11-win season before being fired. If we're looking at us, that 4th season removed from our most recent 9-win season would be this year. Point is, you can't replace non-stop just because a coach has a couple bad seasons unless you know somebody better is out there.

Sorry for being long-winded.

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 39

      For those still in Seth’s corner.

    2. 14

      ​♥️​ Ray ​♥️​

    3. 15

      Wren Baker to Georgia Tech?

    4. 68

      POLL: Gunnell or Ruder? (Plus a PB GIF)

  • @UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds
  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      15,025
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    PDXPRAK
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.