DRC (updated with story): Littrell -- Aune remains UNT's starting QB after today's scrimmage

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

I can guarantee your that there's not a single person on this board who wouldn't eat crow, and gladly, if SL became the man we needed and started excelling.

But, come on man... Is this the UNT football you really want to watch? Truth and facts are that we we are barely mediocre. 

To flip your narrative... Some people have decided to bury their heads and disregard the, very very many, negatives. 

Last season we saw a team that had every reason to mail it in yet they fought back from a 1-6 start to get back to a bowl game legitimately for the first time since 2018. The 2015 team just flat out quit on Mac, these guys fought for Littrell. I will take that 2021 team over the 2015 team every day of the week.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Just in people forgot...  Aune had a 30qbr in the bowl game against a team most thought we could beat, or at least be competitive. 

Screenshot_20220814-162451_ESPN.jpg

He didn’t play up to our expectations but we were missing like 1/3 of our total offensive production from the regular season with Torrey out. Aune led us in rushing but the interceptions hurt. That isn’t something that cannot be corrected. So many like to rip the guy as a 30something that will never learn. You forget or choose to ignore that Aune was away from football completely for 6 years. You have to remember that when Aune went back to playing football in 2018, the freshmen he was competing against were 6th graders the last time he practiced as a football player. Just because he is older does not make him a more experienced football player or immune from making dumb mistakes.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

I can guarantee your that there's not a single person on this board who wouldn't eat crow, and gladly, if SL became the man we needed and started excelling.

But, come on man... Is this the UNT football you really want to watch? Truth and facts are that we we are barely mediocre. 

To flip your narrative... Some people have decided to bury their heads and disregard the, very very many, negatives. 

Oh, I’m not super positive either. But I think Littrell tenure has been miles better than the two decades before it and any outcome is realistic this season. We’re pretty average but this conference is bad. Anywhere from 5 to 9 wins is a realistic outcome and I would prefer to let it play out instead of assuming the worst. 

If we win 8 or 9, Littrell gets an extension and we feel pretty good going into the AAC. 

If we win 5 or 6, we’re coach shopping with the biggest wallet we’ve ever had. 

I’m just excited to get started. 

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Because if he is trying to save his job and think he has a legitimate shot to do so, every minor advantage he thinks is possible will be implemented at the expense of future seasons. 

I understand this. I just hoped he was more of a gambler with his back against the wall.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

People need to settle down.  We having an argument when there shouldn't be any.   How much evidence do we need before accept the ugly big picture here.

> Take out games against FCS opponents Seth is well below 0.500 (including those gloried scrimmages as wins he is still below 0.500)

>Since the departure of Fine and Coach Harell the offense has languished. 

> Regardless of the pedigree of the QBs he has brought in except Fine they have all consistently played medicore or worse against FBS competition.

> Without Phil Bennett fixing the defense last year the improved running game would not have mattered

I have no doubt Aune's hard work and experience is leading the QB room.  But the coaching staff isn't maximizing his efforts unless he just isn't that talented to begin with.  In the past 7 years NO QB other than Fine has lived up to modest expectations here and to Seth's he has brought the best talent on paper here than we ever seen.  In Seth I see a pretty good recruiter and decent motivator.  His offensive X & Os appear to be lacking.  And worse yet it appears can't get the offensive coaching talent he needs here to help that deficiency.  Phil Bennett's defensive coaching resume speaks for itself so it wasn't a great revelation to believe he could fix the defense.  All in total Seth appears to be a mediocre coach so bringing him back and expecting different results from individual players or the team as a whole seem foolish.   And we no matter what side of the arguments about Aune & Seth's potential for this season we are on we are all just wishful fools.  Our hearts we want  Aune or another QB to propel this 2022 team to 8 wins or more.  But  in our heads honestly I think we all know better.   We expect more mediocre from the Seth led Mean Green no matter who is taking snaps at QB.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I understand this. I just hoped he was more of a gambler with his back against the wall.

Making adjustments that aren't the 100% obvious choice isn't Seth's strong point.  Because after a full off-season with Aune and seeing Ruder flounder they should have leaned into the run game no later than the 2 game of the year.   Pride in his "Let It Fly" reputation gets in the way imo.  With all that perceived talent at QB and WR I think it's hard to look in the mirror and say your scheme is the problem or ability to teach it is the problem.  There is just too much offensive talent here to have a very inefficient passing game.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

"The former Argyle standout went 6-for-11 for 85 yards and hit Tommy Bush for a 38-yard touchdown. Gunnell went 8-for-12 for 89 yards and connected with Qualon Farrar for a 20-yard touchdown."

I like that second stat line way more than the first, especially considering Gunnell was working with the 2s.

I’m not sure I do.  Simply based on who the TD passes are to.

I wasn’t there, but a TD pass to Farrar, to me, means a check down to a RB and he did all the work from there.   I like that for Farrar… not as much for Gunnell.

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Oh no man, I don’t think he had a great season, I just think with his maturity and his serviceable running ability that he can be an effective bus driver in a run-first offense. My main point is that him being named the game 1 starter is not in and of itself a reason to cry that the season is already down the crapper. I don’t think he will be the starter for this season but if he is, I think it is still worth having a little optimism until it is obvious that we really are in a lost season.

I know you & I butt heads sometimes, but we’re lock-step here.  I’m OK with Aune starting if he earns it based on the offense we run.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I’m not sure I do.  Simply based on who the TD passes are to.

I wasn’t there, but a TD pass to Farrar, to me, means a check down to a RB and he did all the work from there.   I like that for Farrar… not as much for Gunnell.

Gunnell has done it at the college level. Just one of several games he's played... I realize you've probably seen this video before, just, again, pointing out it's not like this guy's never made big plays at the college level.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Gunnell has done it at the college level. Just one of several games he's played... I realize you've probably seen this video before, just, again, pointing out it's not like this guy's never made big plays at the college level.

You make it seem as if the guy refuses to change off of Aune. I think it's obvious he doesn't want him to start.  Two years ago Bean started the season  and Aune and him went back and forth at a less than impressive manner that Aune ended up winning (against half the board's approval). Last year he gave Ruder two games before giving it to Aune and Ruder had the luxury of the starters playing before they got hurt, then Aune took over and didn't do well. Now, Aune was throwing to a walk-on (our best receiver last year) and 2nd and 3rd teamers, but also made horrible decisions/throws. FYI, I'm not a Aune fan and wish we had someone better. 

It seems he knows Aune isn't the answer but goes back to him after his other choice does worse. Hopefully, Gunnell is the guy that takes over in the second half of the smu game like Fine did and rights the ship.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

10 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

You make it seem as if the guy refuses to change off of Aune. I think it's obvious he doesn't want him to start.  Two years ago Bean started the season  and Aune and him went back and forth at a less than impressive manner that Aune ended up winning (against half the board's approval). Last year he gave Ruder two games before giving it to Aune and Ruder had the luxury of the starters playing before they got hurt, then Aune took over and didn't do well. Now, Aune was throwing to a walk-on (our best receiver last year) and 2nd and 3rd teamers, but also made horrible decisions/throws. FYI, I'm not a Aune fan and wish we had someone better. 

It seems he knows Aune isn't the answer but goes back to him after his other choice does worse. Hopefully, Gunnell is the guy that takes over in the second half of the smu game like Fine did and rights the ship.

Do you think Ruder could have drove the bus to 5 wins like Aune did given more of an emphasis on running? They played him 2 games and had him throw over 50 times against SMU. Aune never threw it more than 33 times in the win streak and never completed more than 16 passes. We're giving Aune too much credit for the win streak. "He didn't lose those games" is all I've read about the streak. Cool. We aren't going to have a great season if that's what we're expecting of our QB. We need a guy who can throw us to a win in a close game late. I don't know if Gunnell (or somebody else on the roster) is that guy but I know for sure Aune isn't.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

best take on the thread, although...

15 hours ago, Udomann said:

Of that, we are 100% aligned.

Good...bad.... Its UNT football. I've seen worse and I hope to see better. But just happy to have the excuse to day drink.

best post of the day

• Upvote 1

Here is a thought, we started winning when he started handing the ball off instead of passing it.   What does that say about your starting qb?  I don't know how many times Aune missed a wide-open receiver but seemed like a lot.  I roll the dice a new guy if they have trouble they can always hand the ball off.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Here is a thought, we started winning when he started handing the ball off instead of passing it.   What does that say about your starting qb?  I don't know how many times Aune missed a wide-open receiver but seemed like a lot.  I roll the dice a new guy if they have trouble they can always hand the ball off.

The amount of times he airmailed a ball 20 yards over a guy's head was insane. So many easy 15-20 yard passes that were missed by a country mile

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

33 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

The amount of times he airmailed a ball 20 yards over a guy's head was insane. So many easy 15-20 yard passes that were missed by a country mile

And the numbers back it up. Career-wise, he's marginally better than a 50% passer which makes sense if it is hit or miss whether he is going to hit a wide-open receiver or not. 

• Upvote 1