DRC (updated with story): Littrell -- Aune remains UNT's starting QB after today's scrimmage

Brett Vito

"The former Argyle standout went 6-for-11 for 85 yards and hit Tommy Bush for a 38-yard touchdown. Gunnell went 8-for-12 for 89 yards and connected with Qualon Farrar for a 20-yard touchdown."

I like that second stat line way more than the first, especially considering Gunnell was working with the 2s.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, Udomann said:

That assessment is such a huuuuge stretch given our history. You could very well say we have two incapable QBs with our performance in recent years. 

At what point have we shown quality and consistent QB play???

I don’t know. I have faith that Bennett has improved the defense - so the top two QBs performing well against them in camp should be seen as a positive development. 

I also think the offense found something worth continuing with Aune and the running game to end last season. So while I don’t expect him to be a great passer, I do expect the offense to be somewhat efficient. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I hear Aune will miss the UTEP contest due to his daughter starting kindergarten that week. Any one else hear this? Back-to-school time at the Aune home, here’s to wishing her a great start to the school year! Daddy daughter dance is in October too so Gunnell or someone else will have to step up…family first and all…

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

I hear Aune will miss the UTEP contest due to his daughter starting kindergarten that week. Any one else hear this? Back-to-school time at the Aune home, here’s to wishing her a great start to the school year! Daddy daughter dance is in October too so Gunnell or someone else will have to step up…family first and all…

Ain't no way they're rolling him with the 1s all this time all for him to miss game 1 due to school starting. I'm going to guess those are false rumors. I wouldn't blame him for taking care of his family first, I just want to believe the coaches would see the urgency to get the other QBs more team 1 snaps if it's true.

I don't know where his kid goed to school but many DFW schools started last week.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 2

41 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

I love how this board thinks that a 31 year old college football player is gonna suddenly figure it out this year. He was awful last year and will be this year.

An awful that won five games in a row. How awful those opposing quarterbacks must’ve been.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

41 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

The running game won those. Aune didn't 

So what does it matter if the running game is great instead of the passing game? Aune didn’t lose those games. Andrew Smith was worse than Aune but he is still a bowl winning quarterback.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

An awful that won five games in a row. How awful those opposing quarterbacks must’ve been.

I mean, other than UTSA, they were all pretty bad teams. UTEP was the only other team with a winning record. Other than those 2 games, are we really using wins against 4-8 Rice, 3-9 SoMiss, and 1-11 FIU to display our QBs success? I'm sure Aune's 10/17 passing for 116 yards with no TDs (passing or rushing) against UTSA is the reason we won that game. Two total TDs against UTEP? Cool. 15 of 33 passing, a whopping 45% completion? Not so cool. Some here will do anything to prop-up mediocre play.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So what does it matter if the running game is great instead of the passing game? Aune didn’t lose those games. Andrew Smith was worse than Aune but he is still a bowl winning quarterback.

You did say Aune won those games. That's not the same as "not losing" them.

At best, he didn't ruin the running game. Which would be an amazing feat for a QB to do. Do you... Trip the RBs?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Udomann said:

You did say Aune won those games. That's not the same as "not losing" them.

At best, he didn't ruin the running game. Which would be an amazing feat for a QB to do. Do you... Trip the RBs?

You are correct, I should’ve said an awful starting quarterback for a team that won 5 in a row.

• Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I mean, other than UTSA, they were all pretty bad teams. UTEP was the only other team with a winning record. Other than those 2 games, are we really using wins against 4-8 Rice, 3-9 SoMiss, and 1-11 FIU to display our QBs success? I'm sure Aune's 10/17 passing for 116 yards with no TDs (passing or rushing) against UTSA is the reason we won that game. Two total TDs against UTEP? Cool. 15 of 33 passing, a whopping 45% completion? Not so cool. Some here will do anything to prop-up mediocre play.

So wins against bad teams no longer count? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So wins against bad teams no longer count? 

They don't count as an argument as to why a QB should keep starting. We complain about mediocrity but allow 50% completion and 9 TDs to 9 Ints to keep starting because at least he didn't cause us to lose against bad opponents. What? This program will never go anywhere if the coaches share that mindset. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

They don't count as an argument as to why a QB should keep starting. We complain about mediocrity but allow 50% completion and 9 TDs to 9 Ints to keep starting because at least he didn't cause us to lose against bad opponents. What? This program will never go anywhere if the coaches share that mindset. 

You guys are going all in on this troll job by Vito. Why would Littrell say anything different two weeks before gametime? That isn’t how this coach operates. He has not once said Aune is your game 1 starter, he has said since spring when he was competing against Head and Earle that it was Aune’s job until someone took it from him. That hasn’t changed and he uses that as his standard response to try and keep Vito off his neck. If Gunnell is the guy, you won’t know until our first offensive series at UTEP. My point in talking about Aune is that in the rare chance that he does end up as the starting quarterback for this season, that in and of itself does not mean it will be a lost season. Have a little faith. Based on the preseason progression I’d put the chances above 50% that Gunnell is your starter. The only reason they would let Aune run out there against UTEP is because he is 2-0 versus them as a starter. Gunnell will be the guy for SMU, mark it down.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You guys are going all in on this troll job by Vito. Why would Littrell say anything different two weeks before gametime. If Gunnell is the guy, you won’t know until our first offensive series at UTEP. My point in talking about Aune is that in the rare chance that he does end up as the starting quarterback for this season, that in and of itself does not mean it will be a lost season. Have a little faith. Based on the preseason progression I’d put the chances above 50% that Gunnell is your starter. The only reason they would let Aune run out there against UTEP is because he is 2-0 versus them as a starter. Gunnell will be the guy for SMU, mark it down.

Don't really care much about Vito's article and I don't expect SL to lay out the game plan 2 weeks out. I'm just baffled at the amount of folks defending Aune like he just had a historic season. Other than bus driving against UTSA, he hasn't earned *it*. I'd love for him to prove me wrong, though.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Don't really care much about Vito's article and I don't expect SL to lay out the game plan 2 weeks out. I'm just baffled at the amount of folks defending Aune like he just had a historic season. Other than bus driving against UTSA, he hasn't earned *it*. I'd love for him to prove me wrong, though.

Oh no man, I don’t think he had a great season, I just think with his maturity and his serviceable running ability that he can be an effective bus driver in a run-first offense. My main point is that him being named the game 1 starter is not in and of itself a reason to cry that the season is already down the crapper. I don’t think he will be the starter for this season but if he is, I think it is still worth having a little optimism until it is obvious that we really are in a lost season.

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2022 at 1:23 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

I just don't get the thinking from SL... if like you said, there isn't much separation between a guy who's been here 3 years and a guy who showed up a few months ago then why is the guy who can't separate himself with 3 years experience in the system starting.

Unless the battle isn't as close as we think. Week 4 is pushing it to make a change in a 12 game season, IMO.

Because if he is trying to save his job and think he has a legitimate shot to do so, every minor advantage he thinks is possible will be implemented at the expense of future seasons.  He has shown he can't develope quarterbacks.  And as a head coach with an offensive background that looks horrible.  After Ruder failed and Bean before him, I am surprised he got Grant to come here.  I hope I am wrong and Aune makes a huge leap forward and keeps the job with stellar stats.  But if the post Fine & Harell pattern continues then great improvements by any QB on the roster are unlikely.  By week 4 it us highly likely that our chances to have a record better than last year will be slim.  So it is the safest decision by Seth from my perspective.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You are correct, I should’ve said an awful starting quarterback for a team that won 5 in a row.

I have found there are a lot of folks on this forum who made their decision on Littrell prior to last season and any sort of positive inputs since have to be disregarded. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pellom said:

I have found there are a lot of folks on this forum who made their decision on Littrell prior to last season and any sort of positive inputs since have to be disregarded. 

I can guarantee your that there's not a single person on this board who wouldn't eat crow, and gladly, if SL became the man we needed and started excelling.

But, come on man... Is this the UNT football you really want to watch? Truth and facts are that we we are barely mediocre. 

To flip your narrative... Some people have decided to bury their heads and disregard the, very very many, negatives. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Udomann said:

I can guarantee your that there's not a single person on this board who wouldn't eat crow, and gladly, if SL became the man we needed and started excelling.

But, come on man... Is this the UNT football you really want to watch? Truth and facts are that we we are barely mediocre. 

To flip your narrative... Some people have decided to bury their heads and disregard the, very very many, negatives. 

Well said.  It seems to me some of the most die hard fans we have took a step back after the loss to Miami of Ohio in the bowl game. And then to have some spread out the excuse line of DeAndre couldn’t playing caused the loss.  We were more talented than they were with or without DeAndre.

• Upvote 2