I'm looking at our arsenal at the tight end position and I'm salivating.  An example or two?

Asher Alberding listed at 6-3 259 and not fat?  Actually lean? 

Jake Roberts, listed at 6-5, 250?  Wow dude looks cut up and lean this year. 

Varkeys Gumms, 6-3, 230 and perhaps the best athlete of them all?

Christian Lee at 6-3, 214 good hands and a poor man's Andy Blount?

Super talent at the position and Roberts played in 13 games last year and had 98 yards TOTAL on 11 receptions.  That's not enough!

The others all played last year and had no receptions.  That's unacceptable. 

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/stats/2021

Edited by Dannymacfan
  • Upvote 4

I think you will see plenty of two tight.  12 personnel was a key to our late season run.  Look at the UTSA game and you will see lots of 12.  

I don't see that using more than 2 TE at a time really helps us that much, but if Seth wants to take the practice time to teach it, we certainly have the depth.  And remember, Seth was a TE coach early in his career.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

38 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

I think you will see plenty of two tight.  12 personnel was a key to our late season run.  Look at the UTSA game and you will see lots of 12.  

I don't see that using more than 2 TE at a time really helps us that much, but if Seth wants to take the practice time to teach it, we certainly have the depth.  And remember, Seth was a TE coach early in his career.

the two TE sets late in the year were to just add another blocker for the running game. I want to see these young men involved in the passing game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

I'm looking at our arsenal at the tight end position and I'm salivating.  An example or two?

Asher Alberding listed at 6-3 259 and not fat?  Actually lean? 

Jake Roberts, listed at 6-5, 250?  Wow dude looks cut up and lean this year. 

Varkeys Gumms, 6-3, 230 and perhaps the best athlete of them all?

Christian Lee at 6-3, 214 good hands and a poor man's Andy Blount?

Super talent at the position and Roberts played in 13 games last year and had 98 yards TOTAL on 11 receptions.  That's not enough!

The others all played last year and had no receptions.  That's unacceptable. 

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/stats/2021

I mean... you could probably make the same argument about our receivers too... we averaged 197 yds/game passing last year...

also, Pirtle had 41 receptions for 380 yards... so in total... TE's had 478 yards on 52 receptions... that's close to 20% of our passing yardage and more than 25% of receptions by TE's last year... I don't think we are lacking in getting the balls to these guys...

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

I mean... you could probably make the same argument about our receivers too... we averaged 197 yds/game passing last year...

also, Pirtle had 41 receptions for 380 yards... so in total... TE's had 478 yards on 52 receptions... that's close to 20% of our passing yardage and more than 25% of receptions by TE's last year... I don't think we are lacking in getting the balls to these guys...

Per tile was an H- back or WR.  He weren’t a TE was he?

• Confused 1

I personally would like to see them throw to TE’s more, but hell…. I’m biased 😝 . CLee is a gamer though. He excels in a game so much more than practice. Looking forward to y’all seeing what I know he can do. We have a great TE room. A lot of weapons. Asher and Jake are your typical TEs where Gumms and CLee excel is flanked out like a Travis Kelce type. They both are receiver fast (Gumms 4.5 40, CLee 4.6 40) but Too big for the safety to tackle one on one. Not saying they are Kelce, for y’all haters. 😂. Gotta get the chain gang moving those chains. They should be your go to on 3rd and long. CLee is 6’4 225 now also. 

Edited by KeithLee
I’m a dummy and fat fingered the times
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KeithLee said:

I personally would like to see them throw to TE’s more, but hell…. I’m biased 😝 . CLee is a gamer though. He excels in a game so much more than practice. Looking forward to y’all seeing what I know he can do. We have a great TE room. A lot of weapons. Asher and Jake are your typical TEs where Gumms and CLee excel is flanked out like a Travis Kelce type. They both are receiver fast (Gumms 5.5 40, CLee 5.6 40) but Too big for the safety to tackle one on one. Not saying they are Kelce, for y’all haters. 😂. Gotta get the chain gang moving those chains. They should be your go to on 3rd and long. CLee is 6’4 225 now also. 

I hope you meant 4.5 and 4.6 instead of 5.5 and 5.6

• Haha 1