Jump to content

2022 North Texas Mean Green Preview by Matt Fargo


Recommended Posts

2022 Season Outlook

Last year was a success even though it was a losing one based on how it transpired. Littrell is still considered a coach with a ton of upside and the second half of last season showed that as he united his team to reach down and that they did. Even if the turn around did not come, he likely would have been safe still because of the upside he possesses. That being said, this will be one of his toughest coaching tests since coming to Denton with all of the attrition and the fact the upcoming schedule is a monster. Five of the six road games are against teams .500 or better from last year and are expected to be even better. The home portion is much easier with five of the six against some poor teams so the opposite of this home/road slate would have been ideal. The O/U win total is 6.5 and that looks to be right where it should be as it will take an upset or two on the road to get over this number. 

read more:  https://mattfargo.com/articles.php?art=art56223

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

"Schedule is a monster" who is this guy SL agent?

Lol.   You listen to some guys, and it's easy.   You listen to others, and it's difficult.   I suppose that's a good thing, so you can get an actual tell on your team.   Gotta win some of those games considered "hard".

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2022 at 7:30 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Lol.   You listen to some guys, and it's easy.   You listen to others, and it's difficult.   I suppose that's a good thing, so you can get an actual tell on your team.   Gotta win some of those games considered "hard".

I would not call this a monster schedule. A challenge perhaps. But every single game is winnable. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe that SMU is the only home game that might not be winnable.  It's the away games that will give us trouble.  The toughest opponents are road games.  UAB, Memphis, and UTSA are possible losses.  The teams with the best defenses will give us the most trouble.  We will be better on both offense and defense.  I'm guessing 8-4.

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I believe that SMU is the only home game that might not be winnable.  It's the away games that will give us trouble.  The toughest opponents are road games.  UAB, Memphis, and UTSA are possible losses.  The teams with the best defenses will give us the most trouble.  We will be better on both offense and defense.  I'm guessing 8-4.

 

I’d take 8-4 all day. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Rangers fired manager Chris Woodward today, in the middle of his 4th straight losing season.  

I doubt Wren would do the same until this season is over, if it goes poorly.   And perhaps an 8-4 season means it won't need to happen.

  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the easiest schedule we have played as a FBS program since our return to I-A in 1995. We don’t play a Power team for the first time. OOC play is FCS spare, SMU, @Memphis, and @UNLV. Our conference is the worst in the country again—only FBS league that didn’t get even one team a vote in the AP poll to start the season. Rice, La Tech, and FIU are terrible—FAU, UTEP, WKU, UAB, and UTSA are all decent, but we aren’t gonna lose to all of them. 
 

SL is one lucky SOB. Go into a make-it-or-break-it season and get this schedule to earn an extension. Getting to 7 wins gets him another 3 years added to his last year on his current contract. I fully expect that this will happen and we will go into AAC play with SL for 3 more seasons.

  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This is the easiest schedule we have played as a FBS program since our return to I-A in 1995. We don’t play a Power team for the first time. OOC play is FCS spare, SMU, @Memphis, and @UNLV. Our conference is the worst in the country again—only FBS league that didn’t get even one team a vote in the AP poll to start the season. Rice, La Tech, and FIU are terrible—FAU, UTEP, WKU, UAB, and UTSA are all decent, but we aren’t gonna lose to all of them. 
 

SL is one lucky SOB. Go into a make-it-or-break-it season and get this schedule to earn an extension. Getting to 7 wins gets him another 3 years added to his last year on his current contract. I fully expect that this will happen and we will go into AAC play with SL for 3 more seasons.

seth meyers get help GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

  • Haha 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.