Seeing a lot of offers to no rating players

I think we will see a lot more of it with the NIL.  That way we can develop them and get them ready to transfer.  NIL is going to make it hard to recruit higher rated players.  The big boys will be throwing money, hookers and cars at them.  The rest of us will be giving them buy one get one free coupons to Burger King.  It going to get rough.

• Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Not much data backing this claim. No rating doesn’t mean the player isn’t worthy of a rating, or that he has been rated below 2-stars. It just means the ratings sites haven’t assigned a rating to the player yet. Which is pretty common for players who are just receiving FCS and lower G5 offers.

And every year at this time our offer list has a chunk of guys who aren’t rated. 247 does not assign a player with a composite rating until they themselves have assigned a rating to that player.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Season/2023-Football/Offers/

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I don't get all the concern. As long as scholarship limits exist, 3 star recruits will always be left without a P5 home. If P5s want to "steal" good G5 players, they'll have to get current scholarship players to leave who can then fill-up spots at G5s. Honestly for us, the cycle doesn't change a whole lot IMO. My only area of concern is if big P5s run out of room in a class but they find a guy they really want, I can see programs throwing enough NIL to cover the full cost of tuition each year in addition to the NIL money they'd offer otherwise. Wonder if there's protocol for that... getting a scholarship caliber player by paying for the tuition without "spending" the scholarship would be problematic. Might as well put these guys under contract and change the transfer deadline to the trade deadline.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I still think Covid and its after effects are resulting in fewer players rated since many of the summer camps, etc. were shut down.  Some of our best players turned out to be young men with lower or no ratings, K.D. Davis, Dion Novil, Torrey, etc.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I still think Covid and its after effects are resulting in fewer players rated since many of the summer camps, etc. were shut down.  Some of our best players turned out to be young men with lower or no ratings, K.D. Davis, Dion Novil, Torrey, etc.

We have also had cases where guys are un-rated, and as soon as they actually get an evaluation to be rated, they end up shooting towards the top rating among our commitment list. Dillion Williams was a semi-recent example there.

Point is, unrated doesn’t mean the player is below being worthy of a rating. It just means exactly what it says. He has not yet been rated.

• Upvote 3