DFW media love for SMU

untjim1995

13 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Getting tons of appreciation from the talk shows for their payout to players. Overwhelming support for their pissant fanbase to get in the Big 12. 

Ill never understand it. Makes no sense at all.

I haven't heard any mentions of the Big12, but I've read a lot of buzz lately, that the Pac and ACC are in talks with SMU.

• Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, dodgefan said:

I haven't heard any mentions of the Big12, but I've read a lot of buzz lately, that the Pac and ACC are in talks with SMU.

Yesterday, on two different DFW Sports stations, they both talked about SMU and their NIL showing the Big XII why they belong. I think the exact opposite--I feel like their NIL shows exactly why they AREN'T worth being in a conference with them. They'll outbid you, probably beat you, and do it all in front of about 5000 butts in seats.

Worst combination a conference could ask for. You beat everyone with $$$ and bring no eyeballs.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

smuT is doing exactly what they set out to do.  They are creating media buzz/marketing around their program.  The problem is that nobody outside of the DFW stations are paying any attention.  They remind me of the little kid that wasn't popular in school so he started doing homework for others, buying their lunch, whatever to be a part.  The other kids took advantage but never really cared.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

smuT is doing exactly what they set out to do.  They are creating media buzz/marketing around their program.  The problem is that nobody outside of the DFW stations are paying any attention.  They remind me of the little kid that wasn't popular in school so he started doing homework for others, buying their lunch, whatever to be a part.  The other kids took advantage but never really cared.

Perfect analogy 

58 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Yesterday, on two different DFW Sports stations, they both talked about SMU and their NIL showing the Big XII why they belong. I think the exact opposite--I feel like their NIL shows exactly why they AREN'T worth being in a conference with them. They'll outbid you, probably beat you, and do it all in front of about 5000 butts in seats.

Worst combination a conference could ask for. You beat everyone with $$$ and bring no eyeballs.

This board is so eccentric, always entertaining.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I'm going to disagree even though I'm not happy about it. I grew up in Dallas. Born and raised, never lived elsewhere other than Denton for college. DFW is saturated with fairweather fans which plays into SMU and UNT's attendance woes but if you believe SMU in the Big 12 wouldn't fill seats, you're nuts. TCU home games last year brought 35k+ every game in a year they went 5-7. In 2014 and 2015 when TCU won 12 and 11 games, they sold out every home game, sometimes exceeding listed capacity. Put SMU in the Big 12 with OK State, Baylor, TxTech, TCU, playing there and they'll fill up with away fans alone. If they have success in the Big 12, Dallas will buy-in and they'll have no issues filling seats. The metroplex is crazy about football. They'll rally behind a successful Big 12 team in Dallas.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

4 hours ago, dodgefan said:

No, you have it backwards…. Smut has been trying to talk to the PAC and ACC but they won’t take their calls!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm going to disagree even though I'm not happy about it. I grew up in Dallas. Born and raised, never lived elsewhere other than Denton for college. DFW is saturated with fairweather fans which plays into SMU and UNT's attendance woes but if you believe SMU in the Big 12 wouldn't fill seats, you're nuts. TCU home games last year brought 35k+ every game in a year they went 5-7. In 2014 and 2015 when TCU won 12 and 11 games, they sold out every home game, sometimes exceeding listed capacity. Put SMU in the Big 12 with OK State, Baylor, TxTech, TCU, playing there and they'll fill up with away fans alone. If they have success in the Big 12, Dallas will buy-in and they'll have no issues filling seats. The metroplex is crazy about football. They'll rally behind a successful Big 12 team in Dallas.

ANYONE would have big crowds with those opponents. Those teams are the ones people want to see play. Nobody here cares about Tulane or East Carolina or Western Kentucky. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

ANYONE would have big crowds with those opponents. Those teams are the ones people want to see play. Nobody here cares about Tulane or East Carolina or Western Kentucky. 

Right but the point of the response was countering the belief that SMU would get no eyeballs. Dallas fans rally around winners. The bandwagon fans here are as good as any. Put a winning product in the heart of the city and people will go to games. When they can't, they'll watch on TV. If you think I'm wrong, you're being dishonest with yourself. 

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

Right but the point of the response was countering the belief that SMU would get no eyeballs. Dallas fans rally around winners. The bandwagon fans here are as good as any. Put a winning product in the heart of the city and people will go to games. When they can't, they'll watch on TV. If you think I'm wrong, you're being dishonest with yourself. 

They have been winning--and still get nobody at games. Hell, when we play in Dallas and get our asses kicked, we bring thousands upon thousands of fans to Ford. When the game is in Denton, a really big SMU crowd brings a few hundred, at max.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

They have been winning--and still get nobody at games. 

Stop. They've had one 10-win season since the death penalty. Their best seasons otherwise are three 8-win seasons. That doesn't turn heads in a G5 conference with the exception of the fringe fans you already have. Put them in the Big 12 and they buy themselves a roster to consistently get 9+ win seasons and they'll get eyeballs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Those teams are the ones bringing fans  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

Well that’s a stupid and factually incorrect statement. Y’all drew flies vs Tulane when you were ranked, but keep going.

That game was a Thursday 6:30 game, so it's not surprising it was our least attended home game.  Attendance was 22,843, which, by the way, would have been the best attended UNT home game last year by over 2,000 people. You had two games under 14,000!

• Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, DentonStang said:

That game was a Thursday 6:30 game, so it's not surprising it was our least attended home game.  Attendance was 22,843, which, by the way, would have been the best attended UNT home game last year by over 2,000 people. You had two games under 14,000!

So happy you don't consider us a rival.  I can only imagine how often you would be over here if you did.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I mean SMU did it with basketball recently. Got good and ranked and then had sellouts. Anyone who doesn't think they or really any team in the country could do that are just living in an alternate reality.

smu has never drawn fans.  Dallas doesn't care.

• Thanks 1