Tops face North Texas for first time since 2016

A change to the schedules across Conference USA will bring North Texas to Bowling Green for the first time since 2016.

The Mean Green parlayed a strong finish to the 2021 season into a good offseason, according to head coach Seth Littrell, and the program will be making the trip to Houchens-Smith Stadium to face Western Kentucky on Oct. 29. It will be the Hilltoppers’ homecoming game.

“Really excited about this group. The things they’ve done this offseason to prepare and continue to build our culture, our leadership and the way they’ve worked has been awesome to watch,” Littrell said at the C-USA Football Kickoff at Globe Life Field in Arlington. “I think our culture’s as good as it’s been in a long time – maybe since I’ve been here.”

WKU and North Texas haven’t played since Nov. 12, 2016, when the Hilltoppers came out on top 45-7 en route to a second straight C-USA title. The Hilltoppers have won the last four games in the series to tie it 4-4 entering this fall’s tilt – the final between the two programs before the Mean Green make the move to the American Athletic Conference next year.

The reason this fall’s game was added to the schedule was because of conference realignment. C-USA was forced to reshuffle the league schedule following the departure of Marshall, Southern Miss and Old Dominion for the Sun Belt Conference. WKU’s game against UAB the week before was also added in the changes, and the league this year is eliminating divisions and pitting the top two teams in league play against each other in the championship game.

The addition of North Texas also means WKU will face one of the hottest teams in the second half of the 2021 season.

read more:  https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/opponent-preview-tops-face-north-texas-for-first-time-since-2016/article_2f224778-e16d-5233-aeba-563a7c0798e1.html

• Upvote 3

I was in Lubbock watching the #6 Red Raiders beat the #1 Longhorns with the Crabtree touchdown. It was early in that game and I was looking at my phone for play by play updates. I just knew the Hilltoppers were going to punch it in making it more likely we would end the season winless. It went from 45-40 to 51-40 game over on my phone with North Texas as the victors. I was so confused. It took a couple of minutes for me to figure out what happened.

• Upvote 1