UNT Track & Field: Marshall Announces Staff

DENTON, Texas - North Texas track & field head coach Doug Marshall has finalized his staff for his initial season of 2022-23, the program announced Tuesday.

The members of Coach Marshall’s staff include:

Shellene Williams-Davis, Assistant Coach (Sprints)

Jemarruse Amos, Assistant Coach (Hurdles & Multis)

Erik Stevens, Assistant Coach (Distance)

Jon Tipton, Assistant Coach (Throws)

“I can’t be more excited about the staff and what everybody has to offer to the program, the university, and the student-athletes,” Marshall said. “When I began the search process, I wanted a staff that would be high in character, hard-working and diverse - but more than anything, coaches that have the athletes’ best interest at heart. Every coach brings something different and unique to the table, but what I love the most is that each coach has a shared vision for the future of UNT Track & Field and Cross Country. We will all do everything in our power to advance the program and continue to develop our student-athletes competitively, academically, and as young men and women.”

QUOTING North Texas Head Coach Doug Marshall

“Shellene in my eyes is one of the top sprint coaches and recruiters in track & field, with multiple team national titles as well as being named USTFCCCA NJCAA National Assistant Coach of the Year twice in her career. She played a major role in the recruitment and development of the 28 junior college national champions we had during my time at IWCC. More importantly, her ability to build relationships and care for the student-athletes’ personal needs is a quality that she provides at the highest level. She is an all-around coach, developer, and holds the highest character attributes, and we are extremely lucky to have her here at UNT.”

“Jemarruse is one of the most energetic and technical-minded coaches I have been around in my career. His willingness to go above and beyond for the student-athletes to excel and continue to grow is something that really stood out to me during our time at IWCC. Coach Amos has proven himself to be one of the top developmental coaches in the hurdles and multi’s over the past two years. He is the only coach in at least the past five seasons to have three men in the finals of the 110h, and that speaks volumes seeing he accomplished that in his only two seasons at IWCC. I’m excited to continue to watch his growth as a coach and man here with us at UNT.” 

“Jon is by far one of the top throws coaches in the NCAA. What he has accomplished during his time at Sam Houston State is impressive to say the least. One of the things that stood out the most to me was the relationships with his student-athletes and how he holds them accountable to their goals while showing them so much love off the track. During his seven years at SHSU, he has proven to be one of if not the top throws coach in the WAC - coaching 21 conference champions while helping SHSU to win 14 team conference championships. I’m extremely excited to have him a part of the program, and I’m looking forward leading and learning from Coach Tipton.” 

“Eric has brought success to every stop he has made during his time in the NCAA, and has developed athletes at the national level as well. Coach Stevens has had the opportunity to learn and develop alongside some of the best coaches in the sport during his stops at UCLA, UGA, FSU, and Texas State University. He brings a wealth of knowledge at the Division I level, and has a passion to continue learning and growing in a sport that is ever-changing. I know that Coach Stevens will bring so much to our program and the UNT student-athletes, and help us get to a championship level very soon.”

QUOTING THE STAFF

Shellene Williams-Davis 

“I am excited for the opportunity to continue working alongside Coach Marshall and the rest of the North Texas staff. Coach Marshall has a vision for where the UNT program can be, and I’m grateful to be a part of the vision.”

Jemarruse Amos

“I’m excited to take the job here at the University of North Texas. I want to thank Coach Marshall for giving me yet another opportunity to accomplish some great things, and I am looking forward to transferring this winning atmosphere we’ve created at the junior college level to the NCAA. Go Mean Green!

Jon Tipton

“To Coach Marshall, I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to be part of an amazing staff chasing a shared vision of success. I am excited to begin pursuing excellence with the young men and women at the University of North Texas. Go Mean Green!”

Erik Stevens

“I want to thank Coach Doug Marshall for this opportunity to come to North Texas. I know that this will be a program that will bring a strong tradition and success to the department at UNT. It is evident that the support from the administration is present to provide the best experience for our student-athletes. Coach Marshall has a great vision and plan for where this program can be, and I will do all I can to help bring that vision to reality. I would also like to thank Coach Frazier and his staff at Texas State for bringing me on board. I wish them continued success.”

STAFF BIOS

Shellene Williams-Davis comes to Denton after 10 years coaching both the men’s and women’s sprinters and middle distance runners at Iowa Western Community College, where she was twice named USTFCCCA NJCAA National Assistant Coach of the Year and was instrumental in the Reivers’ three team National Championships.

During her decade coaching at IWCC, Williams-Davis recruited and mentored 28 NJCAA National Champions, 52 USTFCCCA All-Americans, 60 Region Champions, and saw 44 IWCC school records fall. Her men’s student-athletes won five Drake Relays titles between the 4x100m, 4x400m & sprint medley relays. 

Williams-Davis is a four-time Midwest Region Women’s and two-time Midwest Region Men’s Assistant Coach of the Year.

Prior to joining the Reivers as an assistant, Coach Williams served as an assistant with her alma mater at the University of Iowa.

While a student-athlete with the Hawkeyes, Williams made a strong impact on the University of Iowa women's sprinting events in a short time. She was an all-American in the 400 meters in 2004, and a four-time Big Ten Champion at Iowa (2003-04). She is one of only four student-athletes in school history to win at least four Big Ten titles during a career, and one of three to win two Big Ten titles at the same meet. Williams still holds outdoor school records in the 200 meters (23.50-2004) and as part of the 1,600-meter relay (3:36.26-2003).  Coach Williams also set the University of Iowa Recreation Building 400-meter record in 2004 with a time of 54.17.  Six of her indoor marks and seven outdoor marks still rank in Iowa's all-time top 10.

A junior college student-athlete herself, Coach Williams transferred to Iowa after two years at Barton Community College.  A two-time NJCAA all-American for the Cougars, Coach Williams was also a two-time region nine champion and was a part of the 2002 NJCAA national champion 400-meter relay team.  That group set the national record of 43.84 in bringing home the crown to Great Bend, Kansas.

In addition to her collegiate success, Williams was also successful in international competition, running on the Jamaican 400-meter relay squad that placed third at the 2003 Pan-American Games and was also a member of the 1,600-meter relay team that placed third at the 2003 World Championships. Coach Williams also placed sixth individually in the 400 meters at the 2003 Jamaican National Championships.

A native of Old Harbour, Jamaica, Williams was a four-time Jamaican National Senior and Junior team member who competed at the World Championships, World Junior Athletic Championships, Pan-American Games, and the CARIFTA Games.

Coach Williams holds her Bachelor's degree in communication studies from the University of Iowa. 

Shellene lives in Denton with her husband Lancford and their daughter Anaisha.  

Jemarruse Amos joins the North Texas coaching staff after spending two years at Iowa Western Community College, where he coached three men’s 110-meter hurdlers to spots in the national finals and helped the Reivers win three team National Championships.

He was named 2022 NJCAA Region XI Assistant Coach of the Year after leading his athletes to 1-3 finishes in the 100-meter hurdles, 110-meter hurdles, and both 400-meter hurdles at the 2022 Region XI NJCAA Championships.

Amos coached Cortney Watkins to the NJCAA National Championship at the 2022 outdoor championships in the 110-meter hurdles, as well as Dyandra Gray and and Tajean Houston to silver medals in the 60-meter hurdles at the 2021 NJCAA Indoor Championships. Gray and Houston also both earned bronze medals in the 60-meter hurdles at the 2022 NJCAA Indoor Championships.

Amos also saw Watkins take sixth in the 400-meter hurdles at the 2022 NJCAA Outdoor Championships, and he coached Emmanuel Niang and Michael Buchanan to a combined five top-eight finishes at nationals in 2021.

Prior to his time in Council Bluffs, Coach Amos coached both boys’ and girls’ hurdles at his alma mater, William M. Raines High School in Jacksonville, Florida.

Coach Amos competed collegiately at Tennessee State University in Nashville, racing in both hurdles and jumps.  While with the Tigers, Coach Amos won Silver in both the 110m outdoor hurdles and the 60m indoor hurdles in his sophomore and junior seasons respectively.  As a senior at TSU, Coach brought home the Gold in the 60m Indoor Hurdles at the OVC Championships.  He also earned Commissioner Athlete status in the Ohio Valley Conference with a 3.46 GPA and graduated Cum Laude, earning his Bachelor’s Degree in Health Sciences from TSU.

Originally from Jacksonville, Florida, Coach Amos lives in Denton.

Jon Tipton joins UNT from his alma mater, Sam Houston State University, where he spent nine seasons in charge of the Bearkat throws group. 

From 2014-2022, Tipton’s throwers accomplished seven USTFCCCA Academic All-American honors, four All-American performances (including Ashley Jenkins’ fourth-place finish and KeAyla Dove’s fifth-place finish at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships), six NCAA Championships qualifiers, 24 NCAA Preliminary Championships qualifiers, 16 Southland Conference champions, 34 All-Conference performers, and five current SHSU School Records. Tipton’s athletes helped contribute to 12 Southland Conference Team Championships.

Prior to SHSU, Tipton was an assistant coach for the UC Davis Aggies for the 2012-2013 seasons. During his time at the University of California, Davis, Tipton worked with several NCAA Preliminary Championships qualifiers, including Ashley Hearn, the 2012 Big West Discus Champion and bronze medalist at the NCAA Championships in Des Moines, Iowa. 

Tipton’s first coaching experience was as the graduate assistant for SHSU Track & Field from the Fall of 2009 through the Spring of 2011, while completing his masters in Kinesiology. During his stint as graduate assistant, in which he provided direct oversight for the throwers, Tipton worked with SHSU school record holder Chris Cralle (2012 Olympic Trials Silver Medalist) who earned All-American honors in 2011 and won the NACAC U-23 Championships in 2010 in the hammer throw.

Not only has Tipton shown promise as one of the best up-and-coming- coaches in the country, but he was also a stellar athlete at SHSU. His discus throw of 196’6” in 2009 still stands as the school record.

Erik Stevens comes to the Mean Green from Texas State, where he led the men’s cross country to a fourth-place finish at the Sun Belt Championships in his first and only season in San Marcos. His top finisher on the men’s side, Kwanele Mthembu, placed third individually at the conference meet and went on to finish as the runner-up at the NCAA South Central Regional Championships to qualify for the NCAA Cross Country Championships.

Stevens saw several podium finishers as the Bobcats finished second on both the men’s and women’s sides at the Sun Belt Indoor Championships and third and fourth, respectively, at the Sun Belt Outdoor Championships.

A graduate of the University of Arizona (2005) Stevens started his coaching career at in Centennial, CO at Arapahoe High School. While there he helped rebuild the boys’ and girls’ cross country program to a perennial state championship contender. In his time as the head coach of the Warriors he led the women’s program to three consecutive Centennial League championships, and five straight regional championships. On the track he guided Connor Winter to six consecutive state titles (800m, 1600m, 3200m). After 5 years at Arapahoe Stevens joined UCLA Track and Field and Cross Country as a volunteer assistant coach in 2013. While at UCLA he assisted in bringing several athletes to NCAA and USA Championship levels of competition. After 3 seasons assisting Forest Braden and helping lead both the men and women to the NCAA cross country championships in 2013, he stepped away from the college ranks to coach at the high school level again. He returned to Colorado and again helped to bring prominence back to two different programs in three years. In his two final years coaching at Vista Ridge High School in Colorado Springs, Stevens led the program to a dominating performance while winning its first state championship in school history. 

Wanting to be back in the collegiate ranks, Stevens joined the coaching staff at the University of Georgia in 2018. While working under Coach Patrick Cunniff he continued to develop his coaching philosophy and add to his understanding and passion to bring athletes to their highest level of development.  

Stevens spent the 2021 cross country, indoor and outdoor seasons with Florida State University as a volunteer assistant in charge of developing the 800m program. 

In total Stevens has coached eight years at the NCAA Division I level.

• Upvote 1