Haven't Been Here In A While

malonish

13 minutes ago, malonish said:

Howdy. I haven't been around in a few. Is it too early to be that loveable opposing fan you all remember? Thoughts on the upcoming game are that it's worrying to me that UNT gets a warmup game and we open the season at UNT with a new coach and system. 

Welcome back. Not to worry, Littrell is still our coach and our QB situation is questionable at best. Our only hope is for a huge game by our defense and reliance on our running game. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Welcome back!

Banter between opposing school’s fans  is what makes we older fans feel like we’re 18-21 all over again.

We have one on this forum whose first UNT game was in 1947 even before Fouts Field was built.

My first UNT game was Hayden Fry’s first to coach here, but it was at Texas Stadium vs UTA.  
• I saw Coach Fry coach SMU vs the OU Sooners in the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl in 1968.  It was a barn-burner with your Mustangs beating the Sooners in the last few minutes. The SMU Mustang Band were outstanding that night in the Astrodome.  Irvin Dreiboldt had some good bands on the Hilltop for many years. 

I think our game with your favorite school will be close because of what you said.  

Will you & yours be coming to Denton?  I believe SMU will have their largest fan support ever for a game in Denton.

GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, malonish said:

Howdy. I haven't been around in a few. Is it too early to be that loveable opposing fan you all remember? Thoughts on the upcoming game are that it's worrying to me that UNT gets a warmup game and we open the season at UNT with a new coach and system. 

Welcome back!

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, malonish said:

No man.   That's no "warmup game"...  UTEP is improving.  We're spinning wheels.  It took a heroic effort to eek out a win VS UTEP last season at home.   This is very likely to be a loss.   

If NT loses to UTEP in week 1, expect a deflated team to come out the next week to get the doors blown off by 30 again VS you guys.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

39 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Welcome back!

Banter between opposing school’s fans  is what makes we older fans feel like we’re 18-21 all over again.

We have one on this forum whose first UNT game was in 1947 even before Fouts Field was built.

My first UNT game was Hayden Fry’s first to coach here, but it was at Texas Stadium vs UTA.  
• I saw Coach Fry coach SMU vs the OU Sooners in the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl in 1968.  It was a barn-burner with your Mustangs beating the Sooners in the last few minutes. The SMU Mustang Band were outstanding that night in the Astrodome.  Irvin Dreiboldt had some good bands on the Hilltop for many years. 

I think our game with your favorite school will be close because of what you said.  

Will you & yours be coming to Denton?  I believe SMU will have their largest fan support ever for a game in Denton.

GMG!

I live yonder in McKinney so it's no big deal to make it over. Smol correction for Irving Dreibrodt.

My 1st UNT-SMOO game was 2007. Band Freshman, didn't know jack about football, don't remember a moment of it other than how it was our 1 in the 1-11 season.

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No man.   That's no "warmup game"...  UTEP is improving.  We're spinning wheels.  It took a heroic effort to eek out a win VS UTEP last season at home.   This is very likely to be a loss.   

If NT loses to UTEP in week 1, expect a deflated team to come out the next week to get the doors blown off by 30 again VS you guys.

I hope I'm wrong.

Even if you lose to UTEP I think the players would get up for the smoo game. Game time is worth more than a week of practice.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Maybe the staff but if we lose to UTEP out of the gate the fans will be revolting.

I think you are over estimating the impact of a loss.   If UTEP blows them out then yes there will be very significant drop in the gate.  But SMU vs UNT in Denton only happens once every 2 years.  And while SMU prospects of getting a conference upgrade to a “P5 ish” conference  from the AAC are slim, I wouldn’t be surprised if they made a move to the Mountain West or a conference full of PAC 12/Big 12 superconference rejects down the road.  This series could be suspended at anytime.  So if they look decent in a loss expect between 21k to 26k.  Now if it a miserable 101+ Temperature day with high humidity and we don't look all that impressive in a win or loss we looking at under 20k.  Students aren't showing up with that killer sun on them in those conditions unless they excited by the team's play.  They will tailgate (preferably in some kind of AC or Tent with fans) and not come into the stadium.  And I can't blame them for that.  Love my school but I am not having a heat stroke over it.  Without the shade on the alumni side on 100 degree days I wouldn't be showing up either.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Silver linings! A situation like that would turn the afterburner on Seth's already scorching hot seat and almost guarantees a new coach next year.

We gotta lose to win, unfortunately.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

Lose to UTEP we start 1&4....thats not going to get Seth another year with several big conference games coming up. El Paso is make or break for SL. IMO

Not a big SL fan but but I'm hoping for a win in El Paso. It's just more fun winning.

• Upvote 4

I don't even enjoy going to the SMUT games anymore.  SL is always out coached and his teams out played.  SMUT has career games against us.   I can say I am really down as a fan going into the season.  With an easy schedule I don't see us winning more than 4 to 5 games.   SL will finish his contract here and it will not be renewed, just like benford

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 hours ago, Rudy said:

Not trying to be rude, but we have so many $mu posters on here now, all y'all kind of just blend together.  As long as you have something positive to add to the board, and not just trying to brag about $mu like a few do on here, welcome. 

I assure you that I dislike me more than any of you possibly could ❤

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I don't even enjoy going to the SMUT games anymore.  SL is always out coached and his teams out played.  SMUT has career games against us.   I can say I am really down as a fan going into the season.  With an easy schedule I don't see us winning more than 4 to 5 games.   SL will finish his contract here and it will not be renewed, just like benford .

I hear ya’ southsideguy, but I think the Kansas State vs OU all time football W/L record is just about as lopsided.   

I don’t think TAMU has had that much overall luck against the UT Horns, either, but Aggies still show up when they play. Sometimes all the Former Students had to gloat about was that Texas Aggies Marching Band.  
••• The 1997 Mean Green/Aggies game at Texas Stadium vs the #22 ranked Texas Aggies was a blast. The teams were tied 10-10 at the half albeit we still fell short at the end. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1