UNT Light the Tower Collective Meeting

Dannymacfan

I have little faith in this initiative.  Only North Texas would hire a fired AD to run this program after he couldn't raise the money for a stadium, made terrible hires and was exposed as nothing more than a snake oil salesman.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 11
  • Puking Eagle 3

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I have little faith in this initiative.  Only North Texas would hire a fired AD to run this program after he couldn't raise the money for a stadium, made terrible hires and was exposed as nothing more than a snake oil salesman.

I also didn't understand why they brought Rick V in for this, of all people. 

• Upvote 7
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

RV was the puppy dog that those large donors led around.

I guess you and I see different purposes for NIL money. Of course they lead around a puppy - for their NIL money to have the influence they want. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Clinetort said:

Wait.  Villareal did build the stadium.  No credibility in this statement.  

The vote failed on the student fee, which was essential to getting the stadium built.  A poster on this board worked tirelessly to help get it pushed through.  I see this more of a victory for him and not so much RV.

Some others are correct in that RV did make do with what he could with little support from the university.  He did purchase the Liberty Christian property which started the development of the Eagle Point athletic area and Apogee was built, along with the AC and Victory Hall, under his watch.  

It is what it is, but considering how he left, I just think this looks bad, IMHO.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 7

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The vote failed.  A poster on this board worked tirelessly to help get it pushed through.  I see this more of a victory for him and not so much RV.

It is what it is, but considering how he left, I just think this looks bad, IMHO.

That's not what I understood to be the case but I never question your sources.  It would be nice to hear from the great @UNTflyer on this subject.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The vote failed on the student fee, which was essential to getting the stadium built.  A poster on this board worked tirelessly to help get it pushed through.  I see this more of a victory for him and not so much RV.

Some others are correct in that RV did make do with what he could with little support from the university.  He did purchase the Liberty Christian property which started the development of the Eagle Point athletic area and Apogee was built, along with the AC and Victory Hall, under his watch.  

There were two votes on the student fee, one in the early 2000s that failed when Dickey was coaching and one in the late 2000s that passed when Dodge was the coach. I missed the first due to a university mandated break. I voted in the second on my own accord.  Maybe it was because I commuted but I didn’t have anyone tirelessly lobbying me to vote yes. I did notice plenty of the artsy types writing articles trying to get everyone to vote no.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

RV is still very much great friends with the large donors of the university. He tailgates, dines and is generally just a good friend with them. If they were going to have someone close to the large donors, it would be him. Now - did he reach the layman donor? Not too well. But the collective isn't really going after the $100 a year donor. 

You are incorrect. The collective is loooking for ALL donors!!  $25 or 1,000 on an annual basis.  Need all the help available no matter the amount. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1

3 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

I got this and am planning on attending.  Hope to see some of you there!

image.png.61e61612ff578c41256cea06f390e30d.png

"prioririty"?  Someone should have proof-read their invitation before sending it out.

Also, I disagree that "This (NIL) is by far today's biggest prioririty(sp) in attracting and retaining athletic talent..."

The biggest priority for these mega-donors should be finding a quality Head Football Coach that can attract and evaluate talent and properly utilize it on the field.  UNT has that in basketball with Grant McCasland.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

"prioririty"?  Someone should have proof-read their invitation before sending it out.

Also, I disagree that "This (NIL) is by far today's biggest prioririty(sp) in attracting and retaining athletic talent..."

The biggest priority for these mega-donors should be finding a quality Head Football Coach that can attract and evaluate talent and properly utilize it on the field.  UNT has that in basketball with Grant McCasland.  

I am usually reluctant to criticize things like this, but that is a poorly written announcement.  If we are going to competeat with other universities, we need to do more better.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • RV 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Again, this Collective has nothing to do with the University itself.   This is not a Wren Baker hire.

This is a group of large-monied donors who CHOSE Rick to lead the effort.   

What would you do?  Have Wren/Neal tell those donors, "No, not him"?

That is why I prefaced my comment with "On the surface".  The average Joe doesn't realize this is not a university hire.  I know alumni that have received numerous calls surprised that RV is involved.  Just passing along what I have heard and how people are perceiving this.

• RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1