SMU is about to shock the nation on NIL

mustangfan

23 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Whitney Wolfe Herd (owner of bumble; youngest women billionaire in the country ) - 33

Best I can tell she doesn’t do NIL to SMU athletes but to female athletes across the country.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/innovation/07-04-22-bumble-50-female-athletes-title-ix-whitney-wolfe-herd-smu/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 8/13/2022 at 3:00 PM, Pavlovs Eagle said:

What is the average age of these SMU Billionaires? It has to be mid 70's at this point... I say that emphasizing that you better hope they each leave a $100m to each SMU NIL Collective in their estates because the average SMU graduate these days probably considers themselves lucky not to graduate with $200k in student loans and a nice $55k-60k a year job at graduation.

So, for example, an SMU degree may get you an interview at a Big 4 office in Dallas quicker than a UNT degree might, but most of these SMU kids as scrapping their way along the same corporate ladder to middle management in the same way UNT students are.  With the increased cost of everything, donating to the NIL collective so your top Running Back recruit can drive a Range Rover when he's 19 may not resonate with a middle aged family man SMU grad with 2.5 kids, a 2022 $650k "starter home" mortgage at 6%, and two Toyota SUV payments.

Also, the vast majority of SMU students do not graduate with six figures of college loan debt.  Don't get fooled by the sticker price.  No one pays that.

I walked out of SMU and didn't owe them a dime.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 8/13/2022 at 3:00 PM, Pavlovs Eagle said:

What is the average age of these SMU Billionaires? It has to be mid 70's at this point... I say that emphasizing that you better hope they each leave a $100m to each SMU NIL Collective in their estates because the average SMU graduate these days probably considers themselves lucky not to graduate with $200k in student loans and a nice $55k-60k a year job at graduation.

So, for example, an SMU degree may get you an interview at a Big 4 office in Dallas quicker than a UNT degree might, but most of these SMU kids as scrapping their way along the same corporate ladder to middle management in the same way UNT students are.  With the increased cost of everything, donating to the NIL collective so your top Running Back recruit can drive a Range Rover when he's 19 may not resonate with a middle aged family man SMU grad with 2.5 kids, a 2022 $650k "starter home" mortgage at 6%, and two Toyota SUV payments.

I keep finding nuggets in this post that are LOL worthy.

$650k starter home at 6% for a middle aged guy with two kids?  Also, who in their right mind has car payments (let alone on Toyota SUV's).  If this guy was any sort of smart he would've re-financed (or financed) last summer at 2.2% on a 15 year note.

I guess some people really aren't very good with money?

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

$650k starter home at 6% for a middle aged guy with two kids?  Also, who in their right mind has car payments (let alone on Toyota SUV's).  If this guy was any sort of smart he would've re-financed (or financed) last summer at 2.2% on a 15 year note.

I think the house comment was alluding to the status of future graduates once the current heavy donnors croak, although I doubt that'll be any time soon. Your recent and future graduates will be paying that kind of rate for a while if things don't change.

I feel the pain. My house got delayed in December and I went from that 2 and some rate to having to buy down 4 basis points just to get to 3.5%. So much for the value of a near perfect credit score.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

21 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think the house comment was alluding to the status of future graduates once the current heavy donnors croak, although I doubt that'll be any time soon. Your recent and future graduates will be paying that kind of rate for a while if things don't change.

I feel the pain. My house got delayed in December and I went from that 2 and some rate to having to buy down 4 basis points just to get to 3.5%. So much for the value of a near perfect credit score. 

Not the right forum but this issue is a lot more nuanced than just that.

Edited by meanJewGreen

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

My apologies. I'll edit it out so the comments don't get locked. I guess you should edit the quote of my comment in your comment.

done lol 

4 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

You're so desperate to defend against the minutia that you are missing the larger point: An SMU degree is worth almost the same as a UNT one.

How would I know? I have hired several financial analyst from both. And UTA. And other area universities.

Unless you land a job as an entry level VP thanks to your dad owning the company.... We still pay your the same and I can guarantee you the skill sets are the same. Usually its the UTA guy who works hardest cause he always had to.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Udomann said:

You're so desperate to defend against the minutia that you are missing the larger point: An SMU degree is worth almost the same as a UNT one.

How would I know? I have hired several financial analyst from both. And UTA. And other area universities.

Unless you land a job as an entry level VP thanks to your dad owning the company.... We still pay your the same and I can guarantee you the skill sets are the same. Usually its the UTA guy who works hardest cause he always had to.

Sounds like you are capable of cutting a BIG NIL check to UNT.

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, Udomann said:

I'm sorry this is 100% incorrect.  There are a myriad of firms that recruit out of Cox that do not bother with UNT, UTA, or even TCU for that matter.  That's a fact. 

For an entry level position in your generic accounting firm you're probably not far off but if you're going into investment banking/corporate development or high-end consulting your odds of landing at a premiere firm (and making signicantly more money) are better at SMU.  Its not even debatable.

This isn't intended as a knock on UNT its just a reality.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

38 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Not if I want to keep paying for my...*checks financials*...

650k starter home at 6% and two toyota SUVs

A middle aged guy with two kids is just now buying a starter home...

You should either have your first home paid off by 40 or have taken that equity to get into a better home.  

And having car payments is for suckers.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 8/12/2022 at 5:17 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

Apologies, misread your first post.

Not really. Schools can use up to 85 scholarships at a given time, but only 80 players are allowed to participate in a game. 

On 8/12/2022 at 6:09 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

Good to know. That should create some obstacles for the p5 in all this. 

I think the scenario being contemplated (and this is probably an extreme) is if a school fills out its 85 scholarship limit and then attracts another 40 or 50 "walk-ons" that would normally be P5 scholarship-worthy by awarding NIL money equal to the value of a scholarship and then pay all of them NIL dollars on top.  Sure, you can only play 80 on game day, but now you can pick the best 80 out of a 125-135+ P5 talent pool each game.  Injuries are no longer a concern.   Denying talent to your competition by getting them on your campus may be just as important as the talent you are able to acquire. 

Maybe a player doesn't get to play every game, but that may be a good thing.  Player safety comes to mind which I don't think can be discounted.  Less wear and tear on the body may allow them to avoid serious injury and be in tip top shape when they do play instead of playing dinged up or a coach can optimize game matchups that allow a player's talent to be showcased, etc.  Is there a limit to the number of players that can participate in practice or be ready to play if called upon?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

A middle aged guy with two kids is just now buying a starter home...

You should either have your first home paid off by 40 or have taken that equity to get into a better home.  

And having car payments is for suckers.

Might want to ask Daddy to buy you a sense of humor too... sheesh.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...