SMU is about to shock the nation on NIL

mustangfan

19 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

This is all very true.  And I can't blame SMU for it at all--they're absolutely doing what they should be doing, given the current "Wild West" climate of recruiting and paying players.  But there are plenty of others to blame for this farce of what purports to be "amateur/college athletics."

I blame everyone that thought because the universities found a financial boom through tv money the athletes needed to get that pie in payments. That pie could have been shared in other ways during their college years. Just not large amounts of cash which we all know you don’t even give your own kids at a young age. This thing is turning into a disaster and could ruin college athletics or at the least just morph it into something completely different. You cannot put the genie back into the bottle after we get to see where this road takes us. Sure this is old man rant. But the student athlete could have been rewarded for their talents and sacrifice under the guise of amateurism with more common sense ideas and vision. So sad to see this direction this taking. But even worse as I see us not being able to play this game well. For me we have been riding the fence for quite some time to even be where we are in the landscape. Smu, usc, Miami, these guys just got seats at the big table for no good reason other than money. So since that is what it is about what to happens to the rest of us who just cannot play the game this way? Do we find a new niche (can we enjoy an stadium that may be half full) (enjoy playing local teams) (can we hang in the aac because of tv money or will that be there?) sounds to me the general public only wants to watch a hand full of teams that ESPN gets to select for us. Again I don’t post much bit this is changing too fast and not in our favor. And I loved college athletics as it was and just will miss it. This is not going to be even close to the same as it was for many schools and fans. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

It is really that simple.  It is how much money TV executives believe SMU games on TV can generate.  They will have to buy their way into 3-4 consecutive 10 win seasons, and cap those seasons off beating a big brand name schools to change their game broadcast revenue projections.  They have to have a Boise State like run to even start speculating.  

And even Boise State hasn’t moved to P5 yet. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2022 at 11:23 AM, UNTLifer said:

R.I.P. Jerry Haynes -- Jan. 31, 1927 to Sept. 26, 2011 (updated) | Uncle  Barky's Bytes

New hub for SMU Mustang Spirit - SMU

To me, the opposing fan’s banter has always been a fun part of NCAA college football scene. It would be dull w/o it truth be told. 
••• I was 17 years old when my late father & I drove from Brazoria County to attend this bowl game at the Harris County Domed Stadium aka the Astrodome. It was SMU vs OU.   
🖌🖍The  SMU Mustang Band performed at halftime as did the OU band on New Years Eve, 1968. (see belowvideo). The Astrodome was packed & everyone was in a party mood. The game featured Coaches Fry vs Fairbanks.  It was a great college football game.  We pulled for the team from Texas, of course, & that team pulled it out at the end. .  
Da’ Game? I hope there’s one at fabulous Apogee Stadium in just a few weeks. 

💚🖤I’m sure the Green Brigade will be civil & welcome the Boys (& one twirler) from Big D.   (After all, musicians do tend to be a bit tamer than We the Fans, right)?

1B9171BA-1890-4A89-A001-71FB7094BB9A.jpeg.c4821303248ffbe96920ab97074631f3.jpeg

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 2

Perhaps SMU overplayed their hand with their NIL "big bucks" announcement. If I was the Big 12 or Pac 12 I would be leary  of a program that has more money than sense. If the Mustangs opening bid is $3,000 per month what is their cap? Do you think Oregon State or Kansas wants to get into a bidding war with the Mustangs?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, wardly said:

Perhaps SMU overplayed their hand with their NIL "big bucks" announcement. If I was the Big 12 or Pac 12 I would be leary  of a program that has more money than sense. If the Mustangs opening bid is $3,000 per month what is their cap? Do you think Oregon State or Kansas wants to get into a bidding war with the Mustangs?

If conferences want to expand with teams they knew they'd always beat SMU circa 2005 and UNT would be headed to the SEC.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

This is really a valid point. At this time SMU can’t help generate additional income for a conference, but they can out spend conference competition on NIL money. I would think the member teams would say hell no! Unfortunately SMU will probably end up dominating the G5 level.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

On 8/8/2022 at 7:26 PM, texx2818 said:

Why are you posting here? Are you the guy standing at the Park Lane/75 intersection with the “Can’t Work Until Doctor’s Release” sign?

I don't wanna say too much, but I work very close to there and I'm dying to see the car that guys gets into after standing out there all day. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2022 at 8:23 AM, kingwoodgreen said:

I blame everyone that thought because the universities found a financial boom through tv money the athletes needed to get that pie in payments. That pie could have been shared in other ways during their college years. Just not large amounts of cash which we all know you don’t even give your own kids at a young age. This thing is turning into a disaster and could ruin college athletics or at the least just morph it into something completely different. You cannot put the genie back into the bottle after we get to see where this road takes us. Sure this is old man rant.

I don't think this is an old man rant, i think you're spot on. I was a big proponent of sharing a slice of that pie with student athletes so they wouldn't have to have part time jobs, but the way in which they've done this has been a mess and just made college football feel like a cheap semi-pro league with conferences that don't even matter or make sense anymore. 

On 8/9/2022 at 12:23 PM, UNTLifer said:

But I love Mr. Peppermint.  smu should just change their mascot to Muffin.  They would be more likeable.

I got dragged to a play at UNT in the late 1980s and Mister Peppermint (Jerry Haynes) was acting in it.

Aside from being an SMU graduate, he was a legend. And he fathered the frontman of the Butthole Surfers.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

but DAMN there's a lot of shortsighted, old man ranting in this thread. 

Wow.  Sorry, but I find a lot of reasoning in these arguments.  My take was that the NIL would allow players to profit off of their name, image and likeness.  For example, New York Sub Hub decides to hire the OL to advertise their sandwiches and the players get paid.  I didn't take the NIL to mean schools would essentially put together a slush fund to pay players to join their team.  I don't find that to be a "shortsighted, old man" rant.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Wow.  Sorry, but I find a lot of reasoning in these arguments.  My take was that the NIL would allow players to profit off of their name, image and likeness.  For example, New York Sub Hub decides to hire the OL to advertise their sandwiches and the players get paid.  I didn't take the NIL to mean schools would essentially put together a slush fund to pay players to join their team.  I don't find that to be a "shortsighted, old man" rant.

Agreed and I'm far from an old man. This is a very slippery slope we're headed. P5s have been known to throw serious cash at big time prospects such as nice cars and even houses for the parents. What stops a program from offering a big recruit they don't have room for a "walk-on" opportunity with enough NIL to cover tuition and then an extra 50k per year? They'd get a big recruit without spending a scholarship. I guess that could happen regardless but man, they need to get this under control.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Agreed and I'm far from an old man. This is a very slippery slope we're headed. P5s have been known to throw serious cash at big time prospects such as nice cars and even houses for the parents. What stops a program from offering a big recruit they don't have room for a "walk-on" opportunity with enough NIL to cover tuition and then an extra 50k per year? They'd get a big recruit without spending a scholarship. I guess that could happen regardless but man, they need to get this under control.

But until they get it under control we need to do everything possible to get ahead of our conference mates. Some of y'all are gonna hate hearing this, but it's now more important to donate to Light The Tower than the MGSF. We need to use our vast alumni base to build our funds so we can pay every football and basketball player at least $15K-$20K/year. 

And no player worth a damn is going to take $50K to sit on the bench. Why risk losing a chance at the NFL just to get $15K-$20K more over a couple years?

• Eye Roll 2

4 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

And no player worth a damn is going to take $50K to sit on the bench. Why risk losing a chance at the NFL just to get $15K-$20K more over a couple years?

Not following. Why would the kid be taking 50k to sit on the bench? Can a preferred walk-on making enough in NIL to cover full tuition plus 50k not start immediately if he deserves it? Programs can start accumulating as much talent as their NIL will allow by bypassing scholarship constraints.

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Not following. Why would the kid be taking 50k to sit on the bench? Can a preferred walk-on making enough in NIL to cover full tuition plus 50k not start immediately if he deserves it? Programs can start accumulating as much talent as their NIL will allow by bypassing scholarship constraints.

Apologies, misread your first post.

Programs can start accumulating as much talent as their NIL will allow by bypassing scholarship constraints.

Not really. Schools can use up to 85 scholarships at a given time, but only 80 players are allowed to participate in a game. 

On 8/8/2022 at 4:59 PM, southsideguy said:

This is the end of college football and the rise of NFL Light football.   I think we should kill football and put all resources into basketball.   paying  nine players would be easier.  If SMUT hurts UT and TAM to much I bet the state government gets involved.  

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

• Eye Roll 1

On 8/8/2022 at 12:11 PM, SMU2006 said:

and we've got a handful of billionaires.

What is the average age of these SMU Billionaires? It has to be mid 70's at this point... I say that emphasizing that you better hope they each leave a $100m to each SMU NIL Collective in their estates because the average SMU graduate these days probably considers themselves lucky not to graduate with $200k in student loans and a nice $55k-60k a year job at graduation.

So, for example, an SMU degree may get you an interview at a Big 4 office in Dallas quicker than a UNT degree might, but most of these SMU kids as scrapping their way along the same corporate ladder to middle management in the same way UNT students are.  With the increased cost of everything, donating to the NIL collective so your top Running Back recruit can drive a Range Rover when he's 19 may not resonate with a middle aged family man SMU grad with 2.5 kids, a 2022 $650k "starter home" mortgage at 6%, and two Toyota SUV payments.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/13/2022 at 3:00 PM, Pavlovs Eagle said:

What is the average age of these SMU Billionaires? It has to be mid 70's at this point... I say that emphasizing that you better hope they each leave a $100m to each SMU NIL Collective in their estates because the average SMU graduate these days probably considers themselves lucky not to graduate with $200k in student loans and a nice $55k-60k a year job at graduation.

So, for example, an SMU degree may get you an interview at a Big 4 office in Dallas quicker than a UNT degree might, but most of these SMU kids as scrapping their way along the same corporate ladder to middle management in the same way UNT students are.  With the increased cost of everything, donating to the NIL collective so your top Running Back recruit can drive a Range Rover when he's 19 may not resonate with a middle aged family man SMU grad with 2.5 kids, a 2022 $650k "starter home" mortgage at 6%, and two Toyota SUV payments.

Clark Hunt (owner of the KC Chiefs) - 57

Jim Ersay (owner of the Indianapolis Colts) - 63

Whitney Wolfe Herd (owner of bumble; youngest women billionaire in the country ) - 33

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1