SMU is about to shock the nation on NIL

mustangfan

4 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

The NIL is going to be  the top reason to sign with a team. SMU has never had the fan support but maybe they can buy into another conference with this kind of news. I hope they get into another conference, because I don't see us or other G5's and many P5's being able to compete with the NIL money.

Reaction Gif GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

The NIL is going to be  the top reason to sign with a team. SMU has never had the fan support but maybe they can buy into another conference with this kind of news. I hope they get into another conference, because I don't see us or other G5's and many P5's being able to compete with the NIL money.

If you cannot bring TV viewers or fans - Why would another conference want you in based on the fact you can pay for players and perhaps keep them from getting those players - Makes absolutely no business sense for another conference to let them in. If they have this much money and want to buy players - let them go Independent.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Here is what you need to be concerned with and @Cougar Kingand other UH fans can testify to this.

Just because you get a top 10 NIL does not mean you get an invite.

What I mean by that is if you look at the existing Big 12 makeup, how many teams do you seriously think would vote to have you in?  One of the reasons it took Houston so long is that they could not get a vote from Tech, TCU, Baylor, K-State, KU, OSU and the lessors.  Why exactly would that change now?  They already have a lot of mouths to feed.

Secondly, you can claim everything is being run above board but when there is a lot of money changing hands there will always be the thread of bending the rules to win.  SMU administration needs to be very careful or they will be made an example of again like they were with the death penalty.

SMU always has and always will have an inferiority complex amongst the P5. UH, Cincy, UCF, TCU, Utah and BYU didn't do all of this chirping and got invited to the club.

SMU keeps talking about money and Dallas because they know they cannot compete where it really counts. So that's why you see all of this overcompensation.

People on here sharing and investing in EVERYTHING SMU says just makes them more relevant.

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

All that money and they couldn't even keep their last HFC at Smut. Hmmmm.....I venture to say there are cracks the the dam.

Their dam is that they don't play in a P5 conference and play against teams people care about, which Sonny's new team does get to do, in a much better city.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

This is the end of college football and the rise of NFL Light football.   I think we should kill football and put all resources into basketball.   paying  nine players would be easier.  If SMUT hurts UT and TAM to much I bet the state government gets involved.  

They've done it before...hell, Texas runs every sports desk in the state, anyway. I've seen them bust SMU, UH, A&M (multiple times), and Baylor from their news outlets uncovering cheating while beating them on the field.

• Upvote 2

They have just out recruited TT and other mid to low level P5's with out making a visit! Could this backfire on SMU? TT and others can at least present a better conference with more TV exposure , if SMU was in the big 12 it could be a bigger problem. ($3.6m a year)

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1

If SMU wants to dominate NIL spending they should focus on lacrosse or polo.

They have no hope of outspending the big P5s in the long run or even short run. Headlines they get from NIL spending are like Dave Parker becoming the first athlete to make $1 million a year. That was a shocking milestone for around 10 minutes.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I wonder how these NIL agreements are going to be enforced.  There are now lawyers and agents involved, but what happens if the player does not perform, goes to another school, demands more, etc.  How about if the paying collective runs out of money or just reneges on the agreement. 

This whole thing is so slimy and open for corruption, it really could end any remaining semblance of fair competition.  

I can see a student revolt particularly at most schools that rely on student funds.   Other teams other than football and basketball will sue for their share and what if cheerleaders and band demand their cut?

Will even wealthy involved fans grow tire of throwing money at kids for playing a sport.   There are a great number of better charities.  

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, keith said:

What are they doing for women's sports?

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Destroying it, one swim meet at a time.

Rick

I suppose I should have phrased my question as, “How much are they paying their women athletes?”

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Maybe they should do away with any classroom requirements for paid athletes.  The rich schools can have a draft each year and everyone else gets the leftovers.   I am really at the crossroads of not watching college sports anymore.  The rich will continue to pay until they cant afford it any longer. Maybe there will be a salary cap for college teams or luxury tax.  The level playing field is a relic of the past.  

I think there will some push back from students.  

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Between the two groups SMU is now inside the top ten among all of college football NIL collectives.

You're right its not 1982 anymore.  Now its legal and we've got a handful of billionaires.  Fun times ahead.

Unless you're going to PAY 50,000 fans to attend games, all this is meaningless.   Even with a ranked team last year you still had NO fans and your coach couldn't stand you either, so he left!!

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, NT80 said:

You can't "buy" into a conference membership.  It's all about media and how many want to watch your program.  Nobody wants to watch $mut play.  That's the reason the Big12 keeps bypassing them and Rice; and both have plenty of $$.

It is really that simple.  It is how much money TV executives believe SMU games on TV can generate.  They will have to buy their way into 3-4 consecutive 10 win seasons, and cap those seasons off beating a big brand name schools to change their game broadcast revenue projections.  They have to have a Boise State like run to even start speculating.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1