Scrimmage thoughts?

KeithLee

2 hours ago, Marty said:

I thought Aune looked okay today. None of the other QBs did anything to unseat him. Gunnell did throw a nice pass to Neville for a TD. Tom Treib is gonna be a treat to watch this season. He showed some good awareness & speed after picking off an Aune pass and taking it 30 yards to the house. RBs are deep, each one showed flashes even the true freshman Farrar. 

Treib had a pick six?? Wow!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If Aune looked "okay" entering his 3rd year in the system, he shouldn't be the starter.

So change for change sake even if change is worse? Because multiple folks said none of the other quarterbacks did anything to unseat him today.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

1) Aune looked good, but no better than in years past.  Gunnell just looks like his ceiling is higher…but whether he reaches it is another thing. 

2) Unless it gets cleaned up, we will stop our own drives again this year on penalties.  i watched for 20 minutes and I swear I saw 6-7 false starts.  

3) In typical North Texas fashion, they invite fans to show up at 11am to watch the team…and finish practice at 11:20

4) Oscar Adaway looks good. 

5) It appears we will be a run first offense again.  I think we should change the motto to “hand it off low, and watch them go”

6) I think we will really miss Novil and Colvin in the middle

Thank you for sharing your observations Emmitt. It is greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

I thought Adaway and Ayo both looked pretty good. If Adaway has a healthy year, he could be special. 

Aune looked better. Gunnel had some nice throws. Ruder had a nice deep pass to #82. 

We got there around 10:30. My little one played around, grabbed a snack, then we watched a few mins of the scrimmage. 

The event was pretty nice. Got some swag and some drinks.  I overheard another patron say, “This is our third year coming, but it’s never been this crowded.”  It was my first time attending and we’ll be back next year.

Thank you for sharing your observations. It is appreciated.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Graddean said:

Good grief.  It is early.  They are getting use to different quarterbacks with different cadences.  Give them more repetitions before you write them off.

Not really early,  we play a conference game in 3 weeks.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So change for change sake even if change is worse? Because multiple folks said none of the other quarterbacks did anything to unseat him today.

Yup. Exactly that. You know what Aune will get you and that's 6-6 at best. You don't roll out the same QB expecting better when it's been 2 years of him already. Some guys perform better in games. You'll never know if you have one of those guys if you don't try them. Or go 6-6 with Aune again, whatever.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

Yup. Exactly that. You know what Aune will get you and that's 6-6 at best. You don't roll out the same QB expecting better when it's been 2 years of him already. Some guys perform better in games. You'll never know if you have one of those guys if you don't try them. Or go 6-6 with Aune again, whatever.

Aune was better than 6-6 last season while missing his top 3 receivers.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Aune was better than 6-6 last season while missing his top 3 receivers.

Was he really though? Because I'm starting the W-L record at UAB since that's when he started getting the majority of passing attempts and I'm seeing 5-6 including the bowl game. He actually took over the 3rd drive of the UAB game in the 1st quarter. People keep saying 5-3 as a starter but the "starter" label is just a technicality. The only games he isn’t responsible for are Northwestern and SMU.

We talk about how successful programs make changes when their performance is mediocre but we apparently like to do the same even when the results aren't there. Ok.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Pellom said:

Interesting to see a couple of folks report Aune looked OK - judging by Twitter and a couple of reporters that were there, Aune turned the ball over on three consecutive drives. 

I only saw him on his last drive. On that drive he made some nice passes (a would be TD was dropped) that resulted in a FG. I can’t speak to what happened before that drive. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Pellom said:

Interesting to see a couple of folks report Aune looked OK - judging by Twitter and a couple of reporters that were there, Aune turned the ball over on three consecutive drives. 

Aune had the 1 interception by Treib then a botched handoff to Addaway (which could have been just as much Addaways fault as well). The other turnover was an interception thrown by JD Head.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

1) Aune looked good, but no better than in years past.  Gunnell just looks like his ceiling is higher…but whether he reaches it is another thing. 

2) Unless it gets cleaned up, we will stop our own drives again this year on penalties.  i watched for 20 minutes and I swear I saw 6-7 false starts.  

I don't recall that many, but I was stand by the father of one of the starters (I believe #65 on your program) and boy was he giving it to them.

3) In typical North Texas fashion, they invite fans to show up at 11am to watch the team…and finish practice at 11:20

4) Oscar Adaway looks good.

Oscar did indeed look good. I've always regarded him as a slasher/power-type runner. But one of his runs looked very Torrey-like. 

5) It appears we will be a run first offense again.  I think we should change the motto to “hand it off low, and watch them go”

6) I think we will really miss Novil and Colvin in the middle

Too early to make that assessment. I think that as long as K. Brown stays healthy, we have the loss of Novil covered. It'll be interesting to see if any of the new guys step forward. I believe someone will.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I only saw part of one Gunnell drive but he looked good except for one pass that was almost picked over the middle by a spying LB or safety.  They mostly ran the ball and Addaway looked great.

46F07D4A-2BDD-495E-A26D-3D194B23FF36.jpeg

Yes I feel like Gunnell’s play was encouraging even if only for solid depth behind Aune.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2