Citizenship No Longer a Requirement for Employment in L.A.

37 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

who cares...some people want to work to better themselves, some people want handouts to not have to work, those two types of people are completely different.  give me those that want to work to contribute to society.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2

2 hours ago, THOR said:

who cares...some people want to work to better themselves, some people want handouts to not have to work, those two types of people are completely different.  give me those that want to work to contribute to society.

I agree, but should noncitizens be hired in government positions?  Also, does this eliminate the I9 form that is required of all people hired to work in the U.S. or are they just going to ignore this requirement because they don't like it?

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree, but should noncitizens be hired in government positions?  

This is city government though, LA is an international city that's going to do what they can to remain that way. If they find a guy that's been a great assistant city manager in Guadalajara or Liverpool or Brasilia they're not going to let something like citizenship get in the way of a qualified person they want. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

This is city government though, LA is an international city that's going to do what they can to remain that way. If they find a guy that's been a great assistant city manager in Guadalajara or Liverpool or Brasilia they're not going to let something like citizenship get in the way of a qualified person they want. 

So they will just ignore the citizenship requirements for employment that me and other employers must follow.  Guess they will just continue to make up the rules as they go along similar to their DA deciding what laws he wants to prosecute and which ones he doesn't.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 5

51 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So they will just ignore the citizenship requirements for employment that me and other employers must follow.

Microsoft employs non citzens, as well as Exxon or Baylor Scott & White. What is the city doing that's so different than that? 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

Microsoft employs non citzens, as well as Exxon or Baylor Scott & White. What is the city doing that's so different than that? 

Government positions vs. private positions.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Government positions vs. private positions.  

I understand the difference in the two, what I'm asking for clarification on is your statement

ignore the citizenship requirements for employment that me and other employers must follow.

What's LA planning to do that you and other employers have to follow? Do you work for a city where there's a law that says you can't also hire a non citizen? 

• Eye Roll 1

53 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Must meet the requirements of the I9 document.

The i9 allows for 3 selections that aren’t citizens. They are noncitizen national, lawful permanent resident, and alien authorized to work.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-9-paper-version.pdf

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

The i9 allows for 3 selections that aren’t citizens. They are noncitizen national, lawful permanent resident, and alien authorized to work.

Should those folks be allowed to fill government positions?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

28 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Should those folks be allowed to fill government positions?

Of course. Street sweeper can be a government position. Not all government jobs are vital to our national security. I’ve worked in government desk jobs with noncitizens (permanent resident) and they are the same as everyone else.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

18 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I have no problem with those who are legally here obtaining employment. My question is with this being LA will they verify immigration status?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3