DRC: Former UNT great Carlos Ortiz joins suit by LIV golfers against PGA Tour

Brett Vito

Gonna be interesting to see the end result of this. I really could see this go either way. Everyone is gambling high here, both the players who left for LIV and the PGA as an organization. On one hand I doubt the PGA can exclude standing members just because they also joined another golf organization, that would seem to be some sort of unfair competition to me. On the other hand I doubt the players can argue monopoly, given that LIVs existence exactly renders the PGA a non-monopoly. Problem is that I am obviously no legal expert and naive to a lot of the details, so i really don't know how this will end.

• Upvote 3

I hope it gets thrown out of court. Then again, if they win, make we will start seeing NFL players playing in the Canadian League or the Spring leagues at the same time they are playing in the NFL (just joking)

Seriously - I think they thought more of the top talent would go and it hasn't. people see it for what it is - leaving a tour where you have to stay at the top of your game to compete to wanting to be paid for showing up; no matter how poor you play. 

Great for Carlos because he is making a lot of money playing against guys who "used to be" something special. These guys, as the saying goes, want to have their cakes and eat them to.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I hope it gets thrown out of court. Then again, if they win, make we will start seeing NFL players playing in the Canadian League or the Spring leagues at the same time they are playing in the NFL (just joking)

Seriously - I think they thought more of the top talent would go and it hasn't. people see it for what it is - leaving a tour where you have to stay at the top of your game to compete to wanting to be paid for showing up; no matter how poor you play. 

Great for Carlos because he is making a lot of money playing against guys who "used to be" something special. These guys, as the saying goes, want to have their cakes and eat them to.

Why do you care what league it is?  To me it is better for us the fans to have more tournaments to watch.  Who cares if the PGA loses some money they are rich as is.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Why do you care what league it is?  To me it is better for us the fans to have more tournaments to watch.  Who cares if the PGA loses some money they are rich as is.

Crazy me, I thought an opinion forum, was well for opinions. Why do you think the PGA is losing money? Have any sponsors pulled out? Why do I care - I like the fact that Golf has been the one sport where week after week you have to stay on top of your game to me at the top and earn money. But then again you might prefer participation trophies and every team in a HS football district making the playoffs.

PS - While your talking about the evil PGA for their money, take a moment and check which professional sports league routinely give the most to charities. This is another reason I support the PGA 

• Oh Boy! 1