Any chance Littrell will name a QB early?

Tom McKrackin

One of my biggest problems with Littrell is he refuses to ever name a starting quarterback until the day before the actual game.  That limits the reps for the eventual starter significantly.  I sawr on ESPN that UT Coach Sark is naming his starter early this season for that exact reason.  Would like to see Littrell follow suit.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

I wouldn’t. Why make anything public? He can very easily shift reps however he wants to in practice or even tell the QBs who he’s going to start. I don’t see the value add of publicly naming a starter. I love the idea of making UTEP plan for multiple options. Of all the gripes with SL, this one is pretty weak.

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

I wouldn’t. Why make anything public? He can very easily shift reps however he wants to in practice or even tell the QBs who he’s going to start. I don’t see the value add of publicly naming a starter. I love the idea of making UTEP plan for multiple options. Of all the gripes with SL, this one is pretty weak.

Yea, that really fooled Northwestern State last season. They never saw Ruder coming with that OR placed on the official depth chart. They didn’t stand a chance since they had to gameplan for both Ruder and Aune.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Yea, that really fooled Northwestern State last season. They never saw Ruder coming with that OR placed on the official depth chart. They didn’t stand a chance since they had to gameplan for both Ruder and Aune.

I know this will sound revisionist, but I won't forget sitting there watching NT run the ball down the Demons' throats at that game thinking, "Man, we can't throw the ball against these guys very effectively.  We'd better fix that before SMU, because Torrey isn't going for 200+yds against them..." 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I know this will sound revisionist, but I won't forget sitting there watching NT run the ball down the Demons' throats at that game thinking, "Man, we can't throw the ball against these guys very effectively.  We'd better fix that before SMU, because Torrey isn't going for 200+yds against them..." 

I don’t think that is revisionist at all, you said as much last year @MeanGreenTexan.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Luckily our lifelong OL coach is gonna do wonders for the QB room. I just know it

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Luckily our lifelong OL coach is gonna do wonders for the QB room. I just know it

Honestly,
I don't think he's "coaching" QBs in the sense we would expect a QBs coach to.  I really don't.   

I think he may be in the room with them and do film study, making sure they understand the offense he wants to install/run, but as far as mechanics and nuances of playing the QB position, I really think they're leaving that up to this guy
For instance, Bloesch will install a play, or series of plays calling for a bootleg from the QB.  He'll explain the blocking schemes in front of the QB and which WRs should be open based on the defensive alignment, but he's not going to coach the intricacies of how a QB would throw on a rollout (feet/hip/shoulder placement, throwing motion, leading the WR, etc...).  That will be Shanbour's job.

And I think Shanbour is going to make a great coach, don't get me wrong... but I don't know about him being a "QBs Coach" (more-or-less) at the FBS level right after graduation.   I will say this though... I trust Shanbour coaching those mechanics more than Bloesch.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Honestly,
I don't think he's "coaching" QBs in the sense we would expect a QBs coach to.  I really don't.   

I think he may be in the room with them and do film study, making sure they understand the offense he wants to install/run, but as far as mechanics and nuances of playing the QB position, I really think they're leaving that up to this guy
For instance, Bloesch will install a play, or series of plays calling for a bootleg from the QB.  He'll explain the blocking schemes in front of the QB and which WRs should be open based on the defensive alignment, but he's not going to coach the intricacies of how a QB would throw on a rollout (feet/hip/shoulder placement, throwing motion, leading the WR, etc...).  That will be Shanbour's job.

And I think Shanbour is going to make a great coach, don't get me wrong... but I don't know about him being a "QBs Coach" (more-or-less) at the FBS level right after graduation.   I will say this though... I trust Shanbour coaching those mechanics more than Bloesch.

Do we know if Cole Johnson is still helping out too?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Littrell wanted to keep it a secret and not let SMUt get anything on tape regarding his QBs.    /sarc

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1