I only wish Denton would support UNT like this…

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I love it when people say this and then also like to talk about our 200K+ alums in the Dallas area and the millions that live near. Typical UNT "green-glasses" - blast other schools when they try.

P.S. - You might not know it but there are at least another thing or two going on most of the time here, and just like the Denton area, there are a lot of people in this area who do not follow College football.

I should have clarified that utep is the only sports team in town. 

• Upvote 5

48 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I love it when people say this and then also like to talk about our 200K+ alums in the Dallas area and the millions that live near. Typical UNT "green-glasses" - blast other schools when they try.

P.S. - You might not know it but there are at least another thing or two going on most of the time here, and just like the Denton area, there are a lot of people in this area who do not follow College football.

Nope.

The two cities are completely different when talking about options for sports, and how the local communities view them.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

But back to the promo game. They have been pumping this game with laser focus for months. Not a peep about the SMU opener. Weird. If I’m only slightly interested well…

Urgency. Precision. Never take a play or opportunity off. Never settle. Create. Innovate. Congregate. Upset. 

Also, $15 tickets for the Men in Green in the desert is another sweet option. Not having to break the bank after that fuel or flight bill.  Excited to jump into their mad environment. 

Beat UTEP

GMG

• Upvote 2

I hate hearing people say Denton doesn’t support the Mean Green. I think it’s amazing the sponsorship dollars that roll through Athletics at UNT given the lack of eyeballs that see the names. I wish people would put the spotlight on the real issue. It’s not Denton’s lack of supporting athletics.

It’s alumni. MGSF donor base and dollars is pathetic given the number of alums who still live within an hour of campus.

With no real data to support anything, my guess would be that if you pull major gifts from any donations coming into athletics that sponsorship dollars probably exceed donations.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

UTEP is also riding a high of having their first winning record in 8 years and making their first bowl game in that time frame as well. We, on the other hand, are in a type of limbo and divided as a fanbase on whether our coach should still/will have a job after this season. Much like us, EP supports UTEP when they are good. 

• Upvote 5

Here we go again—it’s wave the white flag time among the faithful.  Some thread themes are almost predictable. It’s all been said before. 

Both Denton & UNT alums are equally to blame but, it’s back to the old Al Davis of the Raid’ahs line: “Just win, baby’eeeee’!” 

••• My last 2 years as an NT student & first 2 years as a new alum we had 4 seasons in a row above .500. That was the last time for that.  Just 4! (That be a long time ago, folks). 
We do draw when Mean Green football has momentum & more wins than losses.  I think someone posted that AD Wren Baker has said as much.  
I think we win this season & I also think we give SMU a tough game; who knows maybe a win—NIL or no NIL.  (Lest all forgot, it was a close game until the 4’th quarter last season).  

1E34981B-604D-4CB2-9441-668D8B7BF2AD.jpeg.b37b7922e4b01905d24bcdfd2fec52e6.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm impressed by what UTEP and the El Paso community are doing to hype the season opener. It will make coming home with a W all the sweeter.

Even though DFW has more competition for fan attention, it would be nice to see Denton come together to promote a Mean Green game like this.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Denton is not a suburb.  It is the county seat of a large county also named Denton.  

McKinney is not a suburb. It is the county seat of a large county named Collin. Sounds silly, eh? 

Denton used to be a college town, but it's a suburb now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 10
  • Puking Eagle 1

It appears to me that UTEP and El Paso are doing a great job of hyping the first game of their season.

Denton is Denton, a great place for a college experience.   I don't get an argument over if it is a suburb or not.  

Overall, with some exceptions; The City of Denton administration doesn't do a lot to promote NT.  Undoubtable the biggest business/employer in the area.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Denton will never support UNT Athletics because 95% of them either don't care or actively loathe its existence. Quite honestly, that's why 98% of the UNT Alumni don't give a rip about their alma mater when they graduate. The culture in this town and within the university is not going to just go away. Winning might change it, but we never win enough to really know.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Denton will never support UNT Athletics because 95% of them either don't care or actively loathe its existence. Quite honestly, that's why 98% of the UNT Alumni don't give a rip about their alma mater when they graduate. The culture in this town and within the university is not going to just go away. Winning might change it, but we never win enough to really know.

Denton will support this program when AND ONLY WHEN then win consistently!  We have not EVER done this in the history of the program.  And no this does not mean going 9-5 and losing the conference either!  The only coach who consistently won here in the modern era has been Daryl Dickey and Hayden Fry.   And that's one of the reasons I am so disappointed in Wren because he had an opportunity to change this by making a move last season and he took the easy road and just left Littrell in place.

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1