Jump to content
  • North Texas vs. UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

DRC: Littrell details where QB race stands early in camp


Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

It’s a list dominated by guys at lower classifications, so although your point is factually accurate, it’s also misleading. The rushing and scoring records are similar. Most of those guys never even got offers most likely. 
Of you control for those who competed at higher levels (4A+) then most of the guys on those lists got D1 scholarships and did well. 

Is St Pius X 4A+?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

All kidding aside, Seth or his staff have never searched out and recruited a sought after QB. Mason dropping in our laps was a blessing.

Oh, they've searched out and recruited.  They just haven't closed the deal.

  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Is St Pius X 4A+?

St. Pius is Division 1 Private Schools.  It is the highest classification for private schools not playing in the UIL.  The equivalent in the area are Dallas Bishop Lynch and Parish Episcopal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2022 at 9:23 AM, GrayEagle said:

St. Pius is Division 1 Private Schools.  It is the highest classification for private schools not playing in the UIL.  The equivalent in the area are Dallas Bishop Lynch and Parish Episcopal.

Has a Texas private school not named Jesuit competed against a public Texas school in recent history? My memory says no and also that Jesuit went UIL because they kept pounding on the other private schools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Has a Texas private school not named Jesuit competed against a public Texas school in recent history? My memory says no and also that Jesuit went UIL because they kept pounding on the other private schools.

Prestonwood Christian last season played Garland and Coppell and opens this year against Little Elm.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2022 at 10:49 PM, NT80 said:

I just hope we don't do the alternating QB thing again.  And it's not like handing the keys to Fine and crossing fingers when he was just a freshman; Gunnell already has a lot of college game experience.

Then why didn’t Memphis, a team that finished 6-6 (3-5 in AAC… where we’ll be next year), “hand him the keys”?

Just be ready for Gunnell to flop, like 99% of the others.  If he lights it up, then we’ll be in for a pleasant surprise!

  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Then why didn’t Memphis, a team that finished 6-6 (3-5 in AAC… where we’ll be next year), “hand him the keys”?

Just be ready for Gunnell to flop, like 99% of the others.  If he lights it up, then we’ll be in for a pleasant surprise!

Gunnell underwent surgery on right leg in Memphis.  Not sure if of the timeline here, nor the impact on his ability to contribute.

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Then why didn’t Memphis, a team that finished 6-6 (3-5 in AAC… where we’ll be next year), “hand him the keys”?

Just be ready for Gunnell to flop, like 99% of the others.  If he lights it up, then we’ll be in for a pleasant surprise!

 

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Gunnell underwent surgery on right leg in Memphis.  Not sure if of the timeline here, nor the impact on his ability to contribute.

I’m sure we only recruited Gunnell so he could give Bennett intel on Memphis’ offense 😉

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Then why didn’t Memphis, a team that finished 6-6 (3-5 in AAC… where we’ll be next year), “hand him the keys”?

Just be ready for Gunnell to flop, like 99% of the others.  If he lights it up, then we’ll be in for a pleasant surprise!

As mentioned, injured last fall, plus another veteran QB on the roster.  They were 1A and 1B in spring practice, plus hot-shot freshman getting a lot of push there too.  Perhaps his dad saw more opportunity to be "the guy" at NT for multiple years??  

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

As mentioned, injured last fall, plus another veteran QB on the roster.  They were 1A and 1B in spring practice, plus hot-shot freshman getting a lot of push there too.  Perhaps his dad saw more opportunity to be "the guy" at NT for multiple years??  

Right, and Ruder was only available because he was behind a Heisman QB at UNC.   The excuses are a mile long.   We've heard them all before.

Also, Henigan is a true Sophomore this season.    So Gunnell wasn't beaten by a "veteran" QB in the Spring.  He was beat by a Freshman.  Henigan is good, no doubt.   
Just be careful not to fall into the tired old mindset of UNT being so bad, or just plain inferior, that any P5 castoff/transferer is going to upgrade whatever we have already, when that has proven to be untrue time & again.

  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right, and Ruder was only available because he was behind a Heisman QB at UNC.   The excuses are a mile long.   We've heard them all before.

Also, Henigan is a true Sophomore this season.    So Gunnell wasn't beaten by a "veteran" QB in the Spring.  He was beat by a Freshman.  Henigan is good, no doubt.   
Just be careful not to fall into the tired old mindset of UNT being so bad, or just plain inferior, that any P5 castoff/transferer is going to upgrade whatever we have already, when that has proven to be untrue time & again.

Amen

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right, and Ruder was only available because he was behind a Heisman QB at UNC.   The excuses are a mile long.   We've heard them all before.

Also, Henigan is a true Sophomore this season.    So Gunnell wasn't beaten by a "veteran" QB in the Spring.  He was beat by a Freshman.  Henigan is good, no doubt.   
Just be careful not to fall into the tired old mindset of UNT being so bad, or just plain inferior, that any P5 castoff/transferer is going to upgrade whatever we have already, when that has proven to be untrue time & again.

True. But our QB room was (is?) pretty bad so it was a safe assumption that Ruder was better. And we aren’t sure that the room was upgraded with all the changes, so when they bring in a late high-profile qb I don’t think it’s a stretch to assume he should be a better option. To me this doesn’t seem like a “little old NT” way of thinking but rather a fair assessment of our existing QB talent.

I think a better example of that thinking is the freshman WR transfer from Nebraska, with many here talking about him challenging for the two-deep. I think our existing talent is equal or better, with more experience. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember a true freshman beating out a veteran transfer from Alabama of all places.  Just put the best players at every position on the field regardless of classification or where they came from.  

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

 To me this doesn’t seem like a “little old NT” way of thinking but rather a fair assessment of our existing QB talent.

Yes.  Ruder and Gunnell and every QB that has transferred to NT see it as an under-performing part of our program.  They feel it's an opportunity for them to win that position here, better than their situation at their old school.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, keith said:

I remember a true freshman beating out a veteran transfer from Alabama of all places.  Just put the best players at every position on the field regardless of classification or where they came from.  

Y'all are comparing apples to oranges with all these other transfers. Alec Morris threw one pass at Alabama in 4 years. Ruder threw one TD pass at UNC. Gunnell got meaningful playing time as a true freshman at Arizona. He threw 2 TDs against USC playing on a terrible Arizona team. Even in our win against Arkansas, Fine didn't throw 2 TDs.

He may not doing anything for us but let's not compare him to previous transfers considering his actual playing experience. 

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

True. But our QB room was (is?) pretty bad so it was a safe assumption that Ruder was better. And we aren’t sure that the room was upgraded with all the changes, so when they bring in a late high-profile qb I don’t think it’s a stretch to assume he should be a better option. To me this doesn’t seem like a “little old NT” way of thinking but rather a fair assessment of our existing QB talent.

I think a better example of that thinking is the freshman WR transfer from Nebraska, with many here talking about him challenging for the two-deep. I think our existing talent is equal or better, with more experience. 

I dunno that I would call the backup QB from Memphis a "high-profile" QB though.

And yeah, I agree it's an assessment of the existing QB talent, which has left much to be desired.  But it's also an overinflation of the incoming talent simply based on what he did in H.S. & at Arizona.   Recall, we also got a transfer from Louisiana Tech who actually beat NT head-to-head last year and has a higher comp%, TD/INT, & QBR than Aune... but since he's coming from a G5 rival, "meh".  Right?  I mean, Head isn't even mentioned around here.

I honestly have about the same expectations of Aune blowing up as I do Gunnell coming in and making the impact many here hope he's going to make.  And that's really all it is... hope.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I honestly have about the same expectations of Aune blowing up as I do Gunnell coming in and making the impact many here hope he's going to make.  And that's really all it is... hope.

All we have this time of year before football starts is hope....hope there is better QB play, coaching, and the team in general this season.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I dunno that I would call the backup QB from Memphis a "high-profile" QB though.

And yeah, I agree it's an assessment of the existing QB talent, which has left much to be desired.  But it's also an overinflation of the incoming talent simply based on what he did in H.S. & at Arizona.   Recall, we also got a transfer from Louisiana Tech who actually beat NT head-to-head last year and has a higher comp%, TD/INT, & QBR than Aune... but since he's coming from a G5 rival, "meh".  Right?  I mean, Head isn't even mentioned around here.

I honestly have about the same expectations of Aune blowing up as I do Gunnell coming in and making the impact many here hope he's going to make.  And that's really all it is... hope.

I don't care who the starter is, I'm just hopeful looking at Gunnell's pedigree. Personally, I think we'll be improved if it's Gunnell or Head. I'm probably not being fair but running Aune out there would be akin to repeatedly sending out McNulty a few years back. Aune is much more talented but that's just what it feels like to me considering what the offense looked like early last year.

I'm sure you've all seen Gunnell's game logs at Arizona but the fact he had meaningful playing time with a 15/3 TD/INT ratio is exciting to me.

 

Screenshot_20220805-171926_Chrome.jpg

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right, and Ruder was only available because he was behind a Heisman QB at UNC.   The excuses are a mile long.   We've heard them all before.

Also, Henigan is a true Sophomore this season.    So Gunnell wasn't beaten by a "veteran" QB in the Spring.  He was beat by a Freshman.  Henigan is good, no doubt.   
Just be careful not to fall into the tired old mindset of UNT being so bad, or just plain inferior, that any P5 castoff/transferer is going to upgrade whatever we have already, when that has proven to be untrue time & again.

Sure, as long as you don’t fall into the tired mindset of North Texas being so inferior that we accept career backup level quarterbacks being our starter for consecutive years.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm probably not being fair but running Aune out there would be akin to repeatedly sending out McNulty a few years back. Aune is much more talented but that's just what it feels like to me considering what the offense looked like early next year.

Definitely not being fair. Littrell has done his best to put any starter out there but Aune yet it always falls back to him after the others struggle. McNulty was bona fide in your face nepotism cut and dry. The kid is a trivia answer as the first person to score at Apogee for no other reason than his dad and the head coach are like brothers.

As to the second bolded part, can you let me know what it looked like early next year? I’ve got retirement aspirations and Vegas can help.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Definitely not being fair.

The casual fan is not gonna care about nepotism.  The casual fan sees a guy who was average at best, being put out there repeatedly hoping for better results.  It was deflating when we saw it with McNulty.  It's deflating when I see it with Aune.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The casual fan is not gonna care about nepotism.  The casual fan sees a guy who was average at best, being put out there repeatedly hoping for better results.  It was deflating when we saw it with McNulty.  It's deflating when I see it with Aune.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/andrew-mcnulty-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/austin-aune-1.html

If Aune is considered average at best, McNulty should be considered awful at best.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/andrew-mcnulty-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/austin-aune-1.html

If Aune is considered average at best, McNulty should be considered awful at best.

Again, casual fan doesn't care.  They see the face of teams that couldn't win more than they lost.

Aune, whether he likes it or not, regardless of the carousel at his position, is the face of the last 2 years.

You seem like a good dude, but the last year I feel like you're in every thread, nitpicking every discussion and trying to water down all details.  Not sure what's going on.  Maybe GM needs another break from the board.

  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.