DRC: Littrell details where QB race stands early in camp

Brett Vito

49 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm going to guess it's just procedural. Make Gunnell "earn" it. We've got a 6'6" QB with the most passing yards in Texas high school history and 195 career TD passes in HS who started 8 games in the pac 12 as a freshman. I think he'll be the starter at some point early this season. Otherwise, yeah, we're in trouble.

Agree. 👍

• Upvote 7

The more and more I read about Gunnell, the more cautious optimism grows within me.

This guy had Fine's career and stats in high school, with all the tangibles that Fine lacked.  42 offers out of high school, including every major national title contender out there.  From his Wiki:

Grant was a USA Today All American, second team his senior year. He was a MaxPreps Junior All American, MaxPreps Sophomore All American, MaxPreps Sophomore Co-Player of the Year, and was a MaxPreps Freshman All American. Additionally, Grant played in the US Army All American Bowl and was a finalist for Player of the Year. Within the state of Texas, he was a first-team all-state selection as a Sophomore, Junior, and Senior.

I'm still trying to understand why Memphis didn't work out for him.  Even with the injury.  Maybe he was there and saw enough to believe that was not where he needed to be.

Anyways, I will have major questions if Gunnell doesn't see the field this year.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

The more and more I read about Gunnell, the more cautious optimism grows within me.

This guy had Fine's career and stats in high school, with all the tangibles that Fine lacked.  42 offers out of high school, including every major national title contender out there.  From his Wiki:

Grant was a USA Today All American, second team his senior year. He was a MaxPreps Junior All American, MaxPreps Sophomore All American, MaxPreps Sophomore Co-Player of the Year, and was a MaxPreps Freshman All American. Additionally, Grant played in the US Army All American Bowl and was a finalist for Player of the Year. Within the state of Texas, he was a first-team all-state selection as a Sophomore, Junior, and Senior.

I'm still trying to understand why Memphis didn't work out for him.  Even with the injury.  Maybe he was there and saw enough to believe that was not where he needed to be.

Anyways, I will have major questions if Gunnell doesn't see the field this year.

Sometimes the high school stars just don’t work out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tate_Martell

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Sometimes the high school stars just don’t work out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tate_Martell

Just a side note here: Both of them accumulated the majority of their HS stats in 3 years, and Gunnell's passing stats are more than double what Tate pulled off.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Just a side note here: Both of them accumulated the majority of their HS stats in 3 years, and Gunnell's passing stats are more than double what Tate pulled off.

Ok then look at the Texas top 10 and tell me who outside of Graham Harrell has done anything noteworthy at the collegiate level.

• Upvote 2

On 8/1/2022 at 3:43 PM, cwb said:

Littrell has said that he'll never pass on the chance to add a talented quarterback. They're just too hard to fine.

Freud is smiling. 

All kidding aside, Seth or his staff have never searched out and recruited a sought after QB. Mason dropping in our laps was a blessing.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

All kidding aside, Seth or his staff have never searched out and recruited a sought after QB. Mason dropping in our laps was a blessing.

Also, he embarrassingly thinks that hiding the real quarterback depth chart actually gives us an advantage. News flash, it never has and this year won’t be any different so if Gunnell is supposed to be the guy, say so and let the team and fanbase rally behind him. Otherwise, just roll with QB1 from spring and have the team rally behind him.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

22 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Also, he embarrassingly thinks that hiding the real quarterback depth chart actually gives us an advantage. News flash, it never has and this year won’t be any different so if Gunnell is supposed to be the guy, say so and let the team and fanbase rally behind him. Otherwise, just roll with QB1 from spring and have the team rally behind him.

Right. GG has moved up to 2nd on the depth chart after 4 practices….that’s crazy, right?  Has he already shown that he’s that much better than Ruder and Stone OR is this history repeating itself?  I hope he’s just that good. We’ll see. GMG!

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Not some subjective list full of hindsight (which doesn’t include Gunnell anyhow), but an actual statistical top ten.

https://www.texasfootball.com/records/

It’s a list dominated by guys at lower classifications, so although your point is factually accurate, it’s also misleading. The rushing and scoring records are similar. Most of those guys never even got offers most likely. 
Of you control for those who competed at higher levels (4A+) then most of the guys on those lists got D1 scholarships and did well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

Right. GG has moved up to 2nd on the depth chart after 4 practices….that’s crazy, right?  Has he already shown that he’s that much better than Ruder and Stone OR is this history repeating itself?  I hope he’s just that good. We’ll see. GMG!

I just hope we don't do the alternating QB thing again.  And it's not like handing the keys to Fine and crossing fingers when he was just a freshman; Gunnell already has a lot of college game experience.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1