UNT boosters form NIL collective

Brett Vito

I don't understand how the NIL is a sustainable model. Somebody will always be able to offer more money as Saban and Kiffin are learning. As stated this is not just an influence on a kid , but will also have a major influence on where a coach goes. Facility improvements are going to be a tough sell unless you can show it being a direct money producer. It is my hope that the collective is attractive enough to get more alumni contributing to the program, because that is the biggest untapped advantage we have. Can we get 500 new alumni to contribute a $1,000 a year for special privileges and access? I hope so.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Facility improvements are going to be a tough sell unless you can show it being a direct money producer. It is my hope that the collective is attractive enough to get more alumni contributing to the program, because that is the biggest untapped advantage we have. Can we get 500 new alumni to contribute a $1,000 a year for special privileges and access? I hope so.

My concern is I don't want it to become robbing Peter to pay Paul.  New donors would be great.  Established donors feeling forced to choose between NIL or a facility improvement would not be so great.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

My concern is I don't want it to become robbing Peter to pay Paul.  New donors would be great.  Established donors feeling forced to choose between NIL or a facility improvement would not be so great.

it IS going to be that to some degree at all universities. And honestly that is ok. If coaches pay stops increasing, or even comes down to somewhat more reasonable degreees, that is ok. if facilities have to be ok and not completely out high polish any more, because some of that money is going directly to players that is ok.

That said, NT indeed has some potential here, and maybe some folks will feel willing to go through this form of support but didn't for the official univeristy one, adding to the overall pie.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

13 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

I don't understand how the NIL is a sustainable model. Somebody will always be able to offer more money as Saban and Kiffin are learning. As stated this is not just an influence on a kid , but will also have a major influence on where a coach goes. Facility improvements are going to be a tough sell unless you can show it being a direct money producer. It is my hope that the collective is attractive enough to get more alumni contributing to the program, because that is the biggest untapped advantage we have. Can we get 500 new alumni to contribute a $1,000 a year for special privileges and access? I hope so.

I'm happy to see that UNT has got a coalition formed, but I would love to get inside the minds of the major donors participating.  What drives them to donate in this way?  What's the pitch?  Asking so that hopefully I can hear it and get on-board.

As it stands, I don't have much interest in donating to that cause, and I suspect neither does the vast majority.  I admit that I'm struggling with where the line is at for just switching over to supporting high school and pro football only.  Football has been used to help drive up interest in the school (IE: applications and enrollment) and to help pull in donors who will donate to not just football, but the rest of the school.  If the push for donations becomes, instead, about donating money that we give directly to the athletes, where do you draw the line then for money going to the players and money going to the school?

I'll donate all day long to the school to help provide scholarships for the athletes so they can get an education.  I'll donate for building projects and anything that helps us attract better teachers/faculty.  I'm not going to donate a bunch of money so Joe QB can drive a porche while he's here.  In that instance, why would I do that instead of just going down the street and buying NFL tickets instead?  This is the issue we face with NIL.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

The problem for me, and I suspect others, is that football has been used to help drive up interest in the school (IE: applications and enrollment) and to help pull in donors who will donate to not just football, but the rest of the school.  If the push for donations becomes just about donating money that we give directly to the athletes, where do you draw the line then for money going to the players and money going to the school?

This.  I want our Athletic Program to become better as a whole, which to me means facilities and winning coaches more than anything.   I don't care that Joe QB wants a porche.   Perhaps we need a Coaching NIL fund so we can hire the next Nick Saban?

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I'm happy to see that UNT has got a coalition formed, but I would love to get inside the minds of the major donors participating.  What drives them to donate in this way?  What's the pitch?  Asking so that hopefully I can hear it and get on-board.

As it stands, I don't have much interest in donating to that cause, and I suspect neither does the vast majority.  I admit that I'm struggling with where the line is at for just switching over to supporting high school and pro football only.  The problem for me, and I suspect others, is that football has been used to help drive up interest in the school (IE: applications and enrollment) and to help pull in donors who will donate to not just football, but the rest of the school.  If the push for donations becomes just about donating money that we give directly to the athletes, where do you draw the line then for money going to the players and money going to the school?

I'll donate all day long to the school to help provide scholarships for the athletes so they can get an education.  I'll donate for building projects and anything that helps us attract better teachers/faculty.  I'm not going to donate a bunch of money so Joe QB can drive a porche while he's here.  In that instance, why would I do that instead of just going down the street and buying NFL tickets instead?  This is the issue we face with NIL.

The problem with your theory is that coaches administrators all make huge money to do their jobs and players - who actually risk their health and welfare - barely can make ends meet.  Yes they get a scholarship and meal cards which is great but many of them can barely pay their bills and need assistance.  We aren't talking about buying a Porsche although I guess the top .00001 percent may fall into that category.  I can see value in giving money or some type of compensation to these players for they actually produce the product that generates all of this money and take all of the risk. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

I wished I could honestly say I’ll enjoy watching SMU and schools like them burn their athletic departments to hell as they slush fund their way through making a complete mockery of division 1 college athletics.  But then I’m reminded what will become of North Texas as it attempts to keep up.  

https://sportsnaut.com/texas-running-back-bijan-robinson-lamborghini-nil/

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211214006082/en/SMU-Donors-and-Businesses-Commit-to-Multi-Million-Dollar-NIL-Program-for-Football

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/stroud-drives-off-in-200k-mercedes-as-part-of-nil-deal.392444/page-2

https://sportshandle.com/jackson-state-barstool-college-footballs-nil/

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

No one is forcing them to play football.  This is not a slave labor camp. It's actually an honor to get a scholarship (a FREE education) or to just make the team as a walk-on.  

Also, I don't hear other athletes in other sports wanting a salary.  Don't basketball, golf, volleyball, track, etc athletes all have the same sport demands and lifestyle on campus?  

If you do a little research, youll see volleyball, track, water polo, and athletes who play these non revenue sports are getting some incredible NIL deals. 

These players bring a lot of revenue to the schools, and honestly, it's nice to see them getting paid for their labor. And yes, some of you will say "isn't a scholarship enough"? But if you bring a school $1 million ,or in Johnny Football's case, help A&M fundraise something like $800 million, is the cost of attendance enough? 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

If you do a little research, youll see volleyball, track, water polo, and athletes who play these non revenue sports are getting some incredible NIL deals. 

These players bring a lot of revenue to the schools, and honestly, it's nice to see them getting paid for their labor. And yes, some of you will say "isn't a scholarship enough"? But if you bring a school $1 million ,or in Johnny Football's case, help A&M fundraise something like $800 million, is the cost of attendance enough? 

"paid for their labor", seriously?   They are playing a sport.

No water polo at NT.  And no athlete bringing $1mil to NT.  Doubting any of this will ever happen at NT, especially in non-rev sports, but if it does, great!   

Now, about those facility improvements and that new head football coach we need to pay for.....

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 6

Having RV attached to this is another UNT EPIC fail! 

RV could not raise money when he was an AD and his AD department was a financial disaster. So he hangs around because no other school in the nation will hire him so we do. 

What a con artist he is.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • RV 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I wished I could honestly say I’ll enjoy watching SMU and schools like them burn their athletic departments to hell as they slush fund their way through making a complete mockery of division 1 college athletics.  But then I’m reminded what will become of North Texas as it attempts to keep up.  

https://sportsnaut.com/texas-running-back-bijan-robinson-lamborghini-nil/

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211214006082/en/SMU-Donors-and-Businesses-Commit-to-Multi-Million-Dollar-NIL-Program-for-Football

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/stroud-drives-off-in-200k-mercedes-as-part-of-nil-deal.392444/page-2

https://sportshandle.com/jackson-state-barstool-college-footballs-nil/

Rick

I get what you are saying but what would you suggest we do, put our head in the ground like an ostrich?  That’s what this administration did for too long already that got us into this mess!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NT80 said:

I don't care that Joe QB wants a porche.   Perhaps we need a Coaching NIL fund so we can hire the next Nick Saban?

The next Nick Saban would only go to a school where he could count on a well-funded NIL collective paying top players.

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2022 at 9:59 PM, GrandGreen said:

As much as I hate NIL and think it is one of the worst things to happen in college athletics, it is now a very necessary evil if a team is even going to have a chance in winning.  

Thanks to the team that formed NT's nil collective,  

I felt the same way and have gotten discouraged after losing a few key players and then being used by the bigger schools as their minor team like in baseball. But after reading what is being done, I feel more optimistic. Forget the old thinking that a college degree and commitment to a university would bring you later life success. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, rcade said:

The next Nick Saban would only go to a school where he could count on a well-funded NIL collective paying top players.

Doubt that our NIL program is of any consideration to coaches when they apply (maybe in the interview, lol). 

Moving to the AAC we will be a Top 75 college football program in the country by association.   

Our facilities, location, and size alone "should" draw top former FBS HCs and quality coordinators.   (Sidenote to Wren:  go the HC route this time!!)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Having RV attached to this is another UNT EPIC fail! 

RV could not raise money when he was an AD and his AD department was a financial disaster. So he hangs around because no other school in the nation will hire him so we do. 

What a con artist he is.

Man, I just can't get that far.

It's one thing to say he failed at his job, it's quite another to suggest RV has been in Denton from day 1 to rob/spite North Texas as if we are his next-in-line victims.

Maybe you're right? I've never met him outside of a handshake and free Gatorade the first few weeks into his hire.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4

Agents involved in the NIL! Will the NIL be more important than the coach, than the facilities maybe more important than playing time? Can we attract a  2nd string lineman from Texas making $50,000 a year with the opportunity to be a starter? Coaches salaries are going to be reduced, as are facilities improvements. These are supplemented by donors. The NIL is now at the top of the food chain! Also Rick could of always said NO!

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

45 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Man, I just can't get that far.

It's one thing to say he failed at his job, it's quite another to suggest RV has been in Denton from day 1 to rob/spite North Texas as if we are his next-in-line victims.

Maybe you're right? I've never met him outside of a handshake and free Gatorade the first few weeks into his hire.

I did not say that, but I do remember the independent report on the AD after RV was fired. I don't think he had any opportunities since. I will say he is not good for North Texas. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

41 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Agents involved in the NIL! Will the NIL be more important than the coach, than the facilities maybe more important than playing time? Can we attract a  2nd string lineman from Texas making $50,000 a year with the opportunity to be a starter? Coaches salaries are going to be reduced, as are facilities improvements. These are supplemented by donors. The NIL is now at the top of the food chain! Also Rick could of always said NO!

No, not here.  I doubt 90% of players in FBS ever see $1 from NIL.  This get rich scheme will fade.  Sam, the reserve kicker at Wyoming, just wants to see the field sometime this season.  We can always find players that want a FREE education and to just play the game.   We don't need a $50K backup lineman from Texas; we would still finish 6-6 ... rah!

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Most programs and probably all in the so called G5 lose a ton of money on athletics.  I get so tired of reading and hearing this falsehood.  

It is like you are running a business and continue to lose money but keep giving everyone big raises.  Soon it will be over and nobody will get anything. 

What happens when the student body who actually pay for most of the cost of athletics at most of the schools decide that they have no interest in paying some freshman QB a thousand a month.  

To answer your question a scholarship is enough if you want to maintain any level of competitiveness in college athletics.  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, RBP79 said:

NIL will eventually implode. Anytime money becomes involved, especially at this level in what's suppose to be amateur sports, the worst personal traits become dominate in the mad rush to get more money.

Just my opinion

Correct, this will not have a happy ending. At least for many many schools. 

• Upvote 1