UNT boosters form NIL collective

Brett Vito

• Harry changed the title to UNT boosters form NIL collective
2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I have a totally new respect for Rick Villarreal.  All the flack he caught from many on this board, including me, probably should be thankful that Rick stuck with UNT and continues to support UNT.

Thank you RV.

Let me get this straight. The boosters got together and started the collective and went to the athletic department and they recommended RV to head the collective. He’s not pitching in any money. 

Same RV that everyone wanted gone. Same RV that oversaw one of the below average athletic departments in FBS during his tenure. He’s supposed to excite people to give to the collective when he couldn’t get people to join the Mean Green Club. 

This is the very definition of insanity. We’re happy because he’s not mad at UNT for letting him stick around doing a mediocre job until he literally had to go? 

I’m really excited. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 2
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Ha!  I knew SMU and TCU had them (Thanks, @Brett Vito article), I just didn’t know if the UAB’s, UTSA’s, and LaTech’s of the world also had collectives.  Excited to give our student athletes a chance to earn some greens while helping us win!  GMG!

I know UTSA does , not sure about the other two 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, meanrob said:

Let me get this straight. The boosters got together and started the collective and went to the athletic department and they recommended RV to head the collective. He’s not pitching in any money. 

Same RV that everyone wanted gone. Same RV that oversaw one of the below average athletic departments in FBS during his tenure. He’s supposed to excite people to give to the collective when he couldn’t get people to join the Mean Green Club. 

This is the very definition of insanity. We’re happy because he’s not mad at UNT for letting him stick around doing a mediocre job until he literally had to go? 

"He’s not pitching in any money."  Do we know this to be a fact?

"Same RV that oversaw one of the below average athletic departments in FBS."  We've always had a below average Athletic Dept up until the last 4-5 years.  Think of the school President we had during his tenure, up until Smastrek took over.  

meanrob, I understand what you're saying, and you are correct.  I'm for giving RV a second chance, just not at running our Athletic Department.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Rick with his knowledge and experience is the perfect fit for the job. A bunch of the NIL groups have past AD employees leading their organization. This will give a chance to the average fan to make a donation and KNOW we’re it is going. Also having access to private functions will be a huge plus! GMG 

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, meanrob said:

I’m really excited. 

I hope because you find it so important, that you are pitching in money? If not we should ignore your uneducated opinion on the topic? Leadership in this area is going to be very important.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

And, as par for the course with NT, some are less than thrilled.

Aside from the issue that this whole NIL collective crap should not be involved in college sports, in ANY way, we should be happy that the university is making a commitment such as this.  If there has to be something like the NIL, until it can be struck down, the best thing we can do is participate.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

14 hours ago, meanrob said:

I’m really excited. 

Also...does that mean the NIL Collective consists of 11 people?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, meanrob said:

I’m really excited. 

I don’t see anybody else starting up a Mean Green collective. Are you starting one? If not, why not be grateful that someone is?

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • RV 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 hours ago, Rudy said:

And, as par for the course with NT, some are less than thrilled.

Aside from the issue that this whole NIL collective crap should not be involved in college sports, in ANY way, we should be happy that the university is making a commitment such as this.  If there has to be something like the NIL, until it can be struck down, the best thing we can do is participate.

89F0D748-030B-418C-8AA6-C58535EECD66.jpeg.4afab4867053047d89f077aa1beb8dd6.jpeg

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I don’t see anybody else starting up a Mean Green collective. Are you starting one? If not, why not be grateful that someone is?

Agreed! Rick is the perfect person for this position and will do a great job. UNT athletics may have walked away from him but he didn't walk away from UNT. Also, count the number of UNT Presidents he worked under his tenure, one of which hired coach Mac, another hired the female women's basketball coach who was also fired. He wasn't perfect, but with the exception of our new indoor practice facility all the "bricks and sticks" happened on his watch. Before Rick's arrival the only new construction  dedicated exclusively to athletics was a 3000+ sq. ft. Athletic Department Building for Hayden Fry in the 70's that is still standing in the parking lot adjacent to the Super Pit.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 2

44 minutes ago, wardly said:

Agreed! Rick is the perfect person for this position and will do a great job. UNT athletics may have walked away from him but he didn't walk away from UNT. Also, count the number of UNT Presidents he worked under his tenure, one of which hired coach Mac, another hired the female women's basketball coach who was also fired. He wasn't perfect, but with the exception of our new indoor practice facility all the "bricks and sticks" happened on his watch. Before Rick's arrival the only new construction  dedicated exclusively to athletics was a 3000+ sq. ft. Athletic Department Building for Hayden Fry in the 70's that is still standing in the parking lot adjacent to the Super Pit.

👍👍 Wardly hits one out of the park.

I once told RV he had the toughest AD job in the entire NCAA.  Why?  Among several  reasons is—-just  look at us?  We can hardly be pleased about anything.
 I mean think about it?  This forum over the year has members (me included) who will argue over just about anything.  Start with: •••don’t like our shade of green•••disjointed “NT” logos or do we we emphasize “UNT”•••don’t need to replace Fouts Field because we never fill it•••which “Eagle” logo do we use on our helmets•••marching band doesn’t inspire a college football fan base•••& I know I’ve left out a dozen more BUT———-I still observe when the Green Brigade strikes up “Glory to the Green” we’re all standing & some of us are actually singing our alma mater.  Gives me goose bumps thinking about all our friends we’ve known thru the decades who are no longer with us.  Let’s enjoy our time.

GMG!

”Glory to the Green”  (2 versions)

Version 2

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

On 7/29/2022 at 11:51 PM, meanrob said:

I’m really excited. 

Hmmm, interesting points. 

The first thing I thought of when I saw this story, (because this NIL has my school's name on it) was, who's minding the books?

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1

As much as I have been critical of RV’s tenure as AD, this involvement is good news.  He was always working harder behind the scenes than what the on field success showed.  The culture he inherited was terrible.  Growing up around Denton I never knew the Mean Green ever played the big boys, actually it would have be more believable to me that they played community colleges than they played Ole Miss, SMU, TCU, or Houston. He and a few key donors and UNT leadership changed that culture.  At least people now know we play the big programs in the country albeit infrequently.

I don’t like NIL but it isn’t rolling back until the salaries of everyone earning a living from college football has their salaries rolled back.  
NIL came too late for some of the best players post 2000 to have a real tangible impact on revenue at UNT.  My hope is that maybe some of those guys get a little something from this collective also.  Would this even be possible today without Mason Fine, Jalen Guyton,  Jeff Wilson, Brandon Kennedy, Lance Dunbar, Cody Spencer, Patrick Cobbs, Scott Hall, Derick Thompson and a few others that were the leaders of a few our winning teams over the past 25 years?  I am not sure it would.  I think we need to do a better job collectively embracing those guys after they leave UNT (especially the graduates). I will be proud of  whatever small way I can be apart of that effort.  And I look forward to the opportunity to donate a some money to collective as meager as I can afford after my MGSF donations.  Thank you RV & Company.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • RV 1

4 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I think we need to do a better job collectively embracing those guys after they leave UNT (especially the graduates). I will be proud of  whatever small way I can be apart of that effort.  And I look forward to the opportunity to donate a some money to collective as meager as I can afford after my MGSF donations.  Thank you RV & Company.

Yes, retention of former players is always a good thing.  I don't think many realize they still have fans.

As for NIL, I hate it.  It's become just a bounty for P5 programs to raid G5 programs.   I fear all our star players when juniors or seniors will be "offered" by bigger programs regardless of what they are earning at NT.  

• Upvote 5