North Texas Fall Camp 2022 Updates

• cousin oliver changed the title to North Texas Fall Camp 2022 Updates
36 minutes ago, Pellom said:

From the few videos, Aune is running with the 1’s, which I suppose is not surprising given we are so early into fall practice. 

Exactly, Littrell has said time and again that Aune is the guy until someone takes the job from him. Somebody took it from him in fall camp in both ‘20 and ‘21. We’ll see how ‘22 unfolds.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Hopefully this means Aune has been following an upward trajectory in the offseason and not that others are falling below expectations. 

Even better would be, Aune has been on an upward trajectory and the others are just behind him, offering solid backup options.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

As good or better than last year

I'm skeptical of this claim for sure.    Just trying to replace Novil, Murphy, & Murphy is nearly impossible... let alone Colvin, TDavis, & Sanders.   
I know we're all jilted by the Murphys, and we want to pump up their terrible discipline problems as reasons why they "weren't that good" (or if you're really lying to yourself: "liabilities on defense"), but those dudes were the type of pass rushers we haven't seen around here since Bellazin.   Opposing QBs with even average RT/LT play are going to have a ton of time to throw the ball against us without those two terrorizing them.
And Novil controlled the LOS so well.   Thankfully, Brown & Jackson should be able to work together to fill his shoes, but the depth behind those 2 leaves much to be desired.  They cant play the entire game.

32 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Aune was 5-4 as a starter last season including the bowl game while missing our 3 top receivers and our top running back plus missing our top all-purpose back for the bowl game.

7 wins is the floor with Aune this season. I expect us to have 8 or better.

Agreed here.   
There were a lot of Thompson haters back in 2012-2013, with these same comments like, "We've already seen what he can do.", and then he turned in his best performance his Sr. year.   Who's to say Aune hasn't been improving?   
I can't say this enough, but a transfer from Arizona (by way of getting beat out at Memphis by lil' Henigan) doesn't equate to superstar status here.   Again, there's only 1 guy I've ever seen live up to that kind of billing:  Marcus Trice.  That's it.   All others were either serviceable, or downright flamed-out.   So for those of you expecting/hoping Gunnell is going to save the season, I wouldn't hold your breath.   ...and you need to get ready for Aune.

• Upvote 8
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

My friend son is a GA and has been following things pretty closely.  He is telling me Aune is the guy and no one else is even close.

Can you elaborate? I'm having a really hard time believing Aune improved that much from a career 50% completion rating and his 3rd season in which he threw as many TD's as he did INT's (9)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm skeptical of this claim for sure.    Just trying to replace Novil, Murphy, & Murphy is nearly impossible... let alone Colvin, TDavis, & Sanders.   
I know we're all jilted by the Murphys, and we want to pump up their terrible discipline problems as reasons why they "weren't that good" (or if you're really lying to yourself: "liabilities on defense"), but those dudes were the type of pass rushers we haven't seen around here since Bellazin.   Opposing QBs with even average RT/LT play are going to have a ton of time to throw the ball against us without those two terrorizing them.
And Novil controlled the LOS so well.   Thankfully, Brown & Jackson should be able to work together to fill his shoes, but the depth behind those 2 leaves much to be desired.  They cant play the entire game.

While I agree Novil will be very hard to replace as I believe Tyreke will be, we were pretty far down the depth chart on corners last year for awhile. A second year under Bennett and his guys plus his new handpicked replacements for the guys we lost, I have hope. Could always be the green tint on my glasses though. I start every season this way.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agreed here.   
There were a lot of Thompson haters back in 2012-2013, with these same comments like, "We've already seen what he can do.", and then he turned in his best performance his Sr. year.   Who's to say Aune hasn't been improving?   
I can't say this enough, but a transfer from Arizona (by way of getting beat out at Memphis by lil' Henigan) doesn't equate to superstar status here.   Again, there's only 1 guy I've ever seen live up to that kind of billing:  Marcus Trice.  That's it.   All others were either serviceable, or downright flamed-out.   So for those of you expecting/hoping Gunnell is going to save the season, I wouldn't hold your breath.   ...and you need to get ready for Aune.

Thompson improved, but it wasn't a giant leap.  ~7% better completion percentage with 18 more attempts.  A small chunk of yards more (a few hundred).  His TD-INT ratio went from 14-14 to 16-13.

The offense went from being stagnant to solid.  I think the 2013 staff figured out how to better utilize the playmakers around DT to create more yards and points.  That, coupled with a fantastic defense (with especially fantastic defensive leadership) flipped the record from 4-8 to a 9 win, bowl championship season.

One of my favorite life lessons is what I think as a 5% rule: If you can do 5% percent more work, you will get 95% better results.  If you can put in 5% more work than everybody else, you will get 95% more reward than them.

That 2013 team was 5% better than the previous year, on both sides of the ball, and it equate to 50-100 swing in yards (in our favor) on each side of the ball and, thus, tons more success.  Obviously, the math isn't an exact 5%, but I think the point still stands.

In theory, if Aune can be marginally better, we become smarter about our offensive system, and couple that with an improved D under PB year 2, we could have enough to actually get to 8+ wins.

In actuality, we have SL.  And significant losses on the defensive side.  So....who knows.

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Aune was 5-4 as a starter last season including the bowl game while missing our 3 top receivers and our top running back plus missing our top all-purpose back for the bowl game.

7 wins is the floor with Aune this season. I expect us to have 8 or better.

Don't overdose on that green koolaid.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1