Apogee Expansion Blueprint

eternalmtg

I know we are a little early since we aren't filling it up yet but I came across UNC Charlotte's stadium expansion Masterplan and wanted to see if UNT already has a blueprint somewhere on how Apogee might look when we do the same. I know I heard it was expandable to 55k when it was built but never saw it.

Screenshot_20220729-113310_WPS Office.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

👍 Good video find, Jeff.

End zone projects with extra square footage under or adjacent to them seem to be the thing now.  Did I read on GMG where TTech was fixin’ to put $200 million into one?  (Even some P5 schools are trying to keep themselves relevant). 

Seems SMU smelled re-alignment talk before the most recent “major P5 conference” shake-up happened. So months before the USC/UCLA bombshell they announced their own end zone project.  **FWIW, it also seems SMU figured out there were no G5 schools with 30,000(+/-) seat stadiums being talked up for a future as a P5 candidate.  
I’ve heard AD WBaker needs $100 million+ to get what we need at UNT, but to my knowledge there is no rendering of one yet.

Best part of all this is that our favorite school will still be participants in the NCAA Athletic Facility Arms Race.  
I suppose we had no choice? 

SMU End Zone Project    
**I like where they put their scoreboard—much larger than the one they presently have. 

8A38D081-FCD4-44BA-9973-B1DB77E7D660.jpeg.18ff0e4e450138b8647da99362786d7f.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

North Texas University.  He actually said that twice.

The lady TV commentator who did the color for our WKU/UNT CUSA championship game at the Lovelace Softball Complex called us “North Texas State” twice.

No biggie but we have been UNT since Gov. Bill Clements signed the bill that changed our name back in 1988(?)

More than enough time for it to have gained traction with those who do sports for a living. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

The lady TV commentator who did the color for our WKU/UNT CUSA championship game at the Lovelace Softball Complex called us “North Texas State” twice.

No biggie but we have been UNT since Gov. Bill Clements signed the bill that changed our name back in 1988(?)

More than enough time for it to have gained traction with those who do sports for a living. 

GMG!

We were called NTSU for 27-ish years.

It has been 34 years since the name change.

Think about that: we are furthered removed from it than the lifespan of the NTSU name.  It is wild to think how it still perpetuates among major media mouths.

One of things I pay attention to is the age of the person in error: are they even old enough to remember it? If not, where di they get that information? If they are old enough to have known about it, why didn't they do some basic research?

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And neither are our team today, nor have they been for 30-ish years. They are lazy commentators. 

Oh, I agree with that main point, which is why I gave the post an upvote.  But no need to diminish from our long history as North Texas State to make that point.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3

On 7/30/2022 at 10:16 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

Looking at the SMU rendering 2 comments above this one, but it appears to me their new Video Screen/Scoreboard is at least 4 X’s larger than our present one at fabulous Apogee Stadium. It’s location is perfect. 

❇️GMG!❇️

I’ve got a flat screen TV in my study that’s larger than those little things at Apogee Stadium.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2022 at 12:21 PM, eternalmtg said:

I know we are a little early since we aren't filling it up yet but I came across UNC Charlotte's stadium expansion Masterplan and wanted to see if UNT already has a blueprint somewhere on how Apogee might look when we do the same. I know I heard it was expandable to 55k when it was built but never saw it.

Screenshot_20220729-113310_WPS Office.jpg

Lol, they won't be needing these expansion blue prints for a long time

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Lol, they won't be needing these expansion blue prints for a long time

To ever compete in the AAC we will.  Otherwise the larger stadium AAC members will dominate.  For certain SMU & now (bite lips) UTSA shows signs of heading in that direction already.  
KTCK’s Norm Hitzges has already mentioned SMU & UTSA as future P5 expansion targets.  
I’m sure Wren Baker knows what UNT has to do & it’s not wave the white flag in the NCAA Venues Arms race.  

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

On 7/31/2022 at 12:58 AM, UNTLifer said:

And neither are our team today, nor have they been for 30-ish years. They are lazy commentators. 

I think it's because we were North Texas State University and simply tried to shorten it to North Texas and the State part just flowed naturally as a consequence.  If we had gone strong with UNT from the beginning, then we would have been past this a long time ago.  Stick "University of" in front of it or simply go with the initials and it would have been unnatural to say University of North Texas State or UNT State.   

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, keith said:

I think it's because we were North Texas State University and simply tried to shorten it to North Texas and the State part just flowed naturally as a consequence.  If we had gone strong with UNT from the beginning, then we would have been past this a long time ago.  Stick "University of" in front of it or simply go with the initials and it would have been unnatural to say University of North Texas State or UNT State.   

No.  Never liked the UNT initials thing.  Leaves too many people guessing who that is.  North Texas is clean and clear.  Plus it represents over 100 years of all eras of NT.  I did not graduate from UNT, but I did graduate from NT!

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1