Jump to content
  • North Texas vs. UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

bleed green closing thoughts and looking forward


Recommended Posts

I think this is an incredible outlet to not only bring pride and respect to the school and Mean Green brand, but also keep our MBB alumni engaged and involved after they finish in Denton.

This pursuit is a total win-win for everyone involved and I want to thank the people that made it happen, as well as the players for their efforts on and off the court.

What a breathe of fresh air in what is otherwise a pretty dead part of the year for sports.

Jordan Stevens and BallIsLife Video
 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, flyonthewall said:

So now that its over, and there is time for reflection, a few thoughts.  Our coaches, Andre Shaw and Clay Wilson prepared our team better than any other team in the tourny.  From film sessions, game planning, and practice this was a professionally run organization.  Hats off to them.  

We had a game plan put in to stop Conner Frankamp.  If not for the foul right at the end, he would have had 6 points.  Aftershocks were a good and experienced team, and we took them to the mat.  We got down 10 late and the guys never quit.  We were one dang possession away from advancing to the "elite 8" in this tournament.

Players.  Obviously just putting the team together was the hardest part of this tournament. Up until a certain date you can add up to 10 players on a roster.  After 10 players you have to pay tbt $1000.00 to add a player.  We added 4 players this way.  3 out of the 4 that we added late were very important to any success that we had.  One decided on his own that he did not want to make the trip.  Now that we have a reputation of how we treat players, and that we can put a team together that has a chance to win, we think this will be easier next year.

#1.  We are going to put a team in this tournament next year

#2.  We expect to be a 2 or 3 seed

#3.  No one is going to out prepare us going forward

Lastly,  I have to say that for me personally, dealing with these elite athletes was one of the best sports experiences of my life.  The character and professionalism of the guys that made the trip to Wichita was incredible.  Google Jordan Stevens and look at his "ballislife" videos and you will see just how lucky we were to land him on this team.  This all because the reputation of J.J. Murray and D.J. "drapejuice" Draper, our coaching staff at North Texas, and of course the reason we got in in the first place North Texas Mean Green basketball.

Every player on our roster was an elite athlete.

In closing, I hope you had as much fun watching this as I did being a part of this.

The goal is for us to win this tournament next year, and with this year as our foundation, it is 100% achievable.

For now, its football season, see you in the blue lot just a few weeks!

I enjoyed watching and cheering for the team.  I look forward to watching them next summer.  I noticed that Voertmans created a “Bleed Green” shirt to sale.  There’s a buzz and it’s exciting. Thank you for all of your work behind the scenes. GMG!

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

So now that its over, and there is time for reflection, a few thoughts.  Our coaches, Andre Shaw and Clay Wilson prepared our team better than any other team in the tourny.  From film sessions, game planning, and practice this was a professionally run organization.  Hats off to them.  

We had a game plan put in to stop Conner Frankamp.  If not for the foul right at the end, he would have had 6 points.  Aftershocks were a good and experienced team, and we took them to the mat.  We got down 10 late and the guys never quit.  We were one dang possession away from advancing to the "elite 8" in this tournament.

Players.  Obviously just putting the team together was the hardest part of this tournament. Up until a certain date you can add up to 10 players on a roster.  After 10 players you have to pay tbt $1000.00 to add a player.  We added 4 players this way.  3 out of the 4 that we added late were very important to any success that we had.  One decided on his own that he did not want to make the trip.  Now that we have a reputation of how we treat players, and that we can put a team together that has a chance to win, we think this will be easier next year.

#1.  We are going to put a team in this tournament next year

#2.  We expect to be a 2 or 3 seed

#3.  No one is going to out prepare us going forward

Lastly,  I have to say that for me personally, dealing with these elite athletes was one of the best sports experiences of my life.  The character and professionalism of the guys that made the trip to Wichita was incredible.  Google Jordan Stevens and look at his "ballislife" videos and you will see just how lucky we were to land him on this team.  This all because the reputation of J.J. Murray and D.J. "drapejuice" Draper, our coaching staff at North Texas, and of course the reason we got in in the first place North Texas Mean Green basketball.

Every player on our roster was an elite athlete.

In closing, I hope you had as much fun watching this as I did being a part of this.

The goal is for us to win this tournament next year, and with this year as our foundation, it is 100% achievable.

For now, its football season, see you in the blue lot just a few weeks!

This was a fantastic showcase for UNT and thank you and the coaches for doing such a great job!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, wardly said:

It's a shame that Bleed Green got almost no support from our Athletic Department who wouldn't recognize a marketing opportunity if it bit them on the ass.

I mean they posted on Twitter?? What else did you want them to do 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

So now that its over, and there is time for reflection, a few thoughts.  Our coaches, Andre Shaw and Clay Wilson prepared our team better than any other team in the tourny.  From film sessions, game planning, and practice this was a professionally run organization.  Hats off to them.  

We had a game plan put in to stop Conner Frankamp.  If not for the foul right at the end, he would have had 6 points.  Aftershocks were a good and experienced team, and we took them to the mat.  We got down 10 late and the guys never quit.  We were one dang possession away from advancing to the "elite 8" in this tournament.

Players.  Obviously just putting the team together was the hardest part of this tournament. Up until a certain date you can add up to 10 players on a roster.  After 10 players you have to pay tbt $1000.00 to add a player.  We added 4 players this way.  3 out of the 4 that we added late were very important to any success that we had.  One decided on his own that he did not want to make the trip.  Now that we have a reputation of how we treat players, and that we can put a team together that has a chance to win, we think this will be easier next year.

#1.  We are going to put a team in this tournament next year

#2.  We expect to be a 2 or 3 seed

#3.  No one is going to out prepare us going forward

Lastly,  I have to say that for me personally, dealing with these elite athletes was one of the best sports experiences of my life.  The character and professionalism of the guys that made the trip to Wichita was incredible.  Google Jordan Stevens and look at his "ballislife" videos and you will see just how lucky we were to land him on this team.  This all because the reputation of J.J. Murray and D.J. "drapejuice" Draper, our coaching staff at North Texas, and of course the reason we got in in the first place North Texas Mean Green basketball.

Every player on our roster was an elite athlete.

In closing, I hope you had as much fun watching this as I did being a part of this.

The goal is for us to win this tournament next year, and with this year as our foundation, it is 100% achievable.

For now, its football season, see you in the blue lot just a few weeks!

 

Thank you for all of the information throughout the tournament. Barring any changes to people's schedules or injuries, do you expect it to be close to the same team as this year? I would hate for another team to scoop up somebody like Jordan Stevens. Dude was insanely clutch this tournament. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wardly said:

It's a shame that Bleed Green got almost no support from our Athletic Department who wouldn't recognize a marketing opportunity if it bit them on the ass.

All things considered, I thought their engagement was reasonable.  I'm sure they're open to any ideas you might be having.

They were actively involved on Twitter, constantly engaging/retweeting posts from the Bleed Green account as well as highlights from the Tournament's official account.

You can also find write-ups about Bleed Green's progress on MGS.com.  Here is one they put up about the win that put us in the S16.
 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bet next year is 10x better.  How many of us had even heard of this tournament until we fielded a team....a team put together, what, less than 2 weeks before Game 1?

Give them some time to wrap their minds around what this could be.  We may have an AD that's timid to pull the trigger on firing coaches, but I think he and his team are really good about the off-field stuff.

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I’ll say this.

They showed more support after 2 wins than the long process to create and team, budget, and land in the tournament. 

Ah. Thanks for clarifying. Yeah that's BS. 

I also wish they would promote the alumni playing abroad by RTing, etc as well 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

I mean they posted on Twitter?? What else did you want them to do 

Well, we do have a Department of Marketing. Why not ask them as a project to put together a marketing plan for UNT athletics ? It would engage the classes, involve the students, and create a " bottom up" vs. " top down " approach". Our Advertising Department  could be included as well.  My point is that we have on campus resources that require no budget and would bring a fresh approach to selling  " Mean Green " athletics. I also would ask them for a specific plan to target Denton, which I feel is the key to getting butts in the seats. Just an old man's opinion.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wardly said:

Well, we do have a Department of Marketing. Why not ask them as a project to put together a marketing plan for UNT athletics ? It would engage the classes, involve the students, and create a " bottom up" vs. " top down " approach". Our Advertising Department  could be included as well.  My point is that we have on campus resources that require no budget and would bring a fresh approach to selling  " Mean Green " athletics. I also would ask them for a specific plan to target Denton, which I feel is the key to getting butts in the seats. Just an old man's opinion.

Yes, I read somewhere that we have sold several tickets to our home opener. Wait, that was about UTEP, my fault.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2022 at 1:47 PM, greenminer said:

All things considered, I thought their engagement was reasonable.  I'm sure they're open to any ideas you might be having.

They were actively involved on Twitter, constantly engaging/retweeting posts from the Bleed Green account as well as highlights from the Tournament's official account.

You can also find write-ups about Bleed Green's progress on MGS.com.  Here is one they put up about the win that put us in the S16.
 

Am I the only geezer who doesn't tweet?

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I thought UNT did a good job standing behind the team. Outside of social media engagement and game write ups, what exactly do you expect them to do? As a previous post said, it’s more of an alumni thing than an university thing. 

To me its a "marketing thing " for the university when you have an opportunity to be on ESPN . It's not like we are on the DUCE frequently .Why don't you ask a marketing professional that you know what more could of been done. If they say "nothing of consequence " then I will drop the matter. In fact, I will drop the matter now as my "give a shit" meter just went off.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 1

      Laws That Have Unintended Consequences #4029: Why Are Pickups Getting Bigger?

    2. 97

      If Littrell beat UTEP will you forgive his past sins?

    3. 1

      Realignments likely to cut football paydays for smaller schools

    4. 18

      2022 UNT Football Watching Parties - UPGRADE

  • @UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds
  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      14,992
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    Reed C. Smith
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.