Big Ten could expand beyond additions of USC, UCLA if it adds 'additional value' to conference

NT80

“Warren noted that the Big Ten soon will have a presence in the country's three largest markets -- New York, Los Angeles and Chicago -- and will "provide content all the way from the morning into the night" with its next media rights agreement. Fox will be the Big Ten's lead media partner for the next agreement, but the league has also spoken with ESPN, CBS, NBC, Amazon and Apple.”

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34297535/big-ten-expand-additions-usc-ucla-says-commissioner-kevin-warren-adds-additional-value-conference

"It may include future expansion, but it will be done for the right reasons, at the right time, with our student-athletes' academic and athletic empowerment at the center of any and all decisions that we will make."

"We will not expand just to expand. It will be strategic; it will add additional value to our conference."

The Big Ten is nearing a new media rights agreement, which reportedly will bring in more than $1 billion annually and that Warren hopes to announce "sooner than later."

Warren noted that the Big Ten soon will have a presence in the country's three largest markets -- New York, Los Angeles and Chicago -- and will "provide content all the way from the morning into the night" with its next media rights agreement."

"It is important for all of us in business to recognize that we're in a time of change," Warren said.

"I still feel strongly that we need to open it up to have multiple media partners," Warren said.

"It's so easy to talk about the money and share money, but what does that really mean?" Warren said.

I don't know...maybe it's me, but I'm not so sure the student-athlete's academic empowerment is really at the center of any and all decisions the B1G will make. 

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, keith said:

"It may include future expansion, but it will be done for the right reasons, at the right time, with our student-athletes' academic and athletic empowerment at the center of any and all decisions that we will make."

"We will not expand just to expand. It will be strategic; it will add additional value to our conference."

The Big Ten is nearing a new media rights agreement, which reportedly will bring in more than $1 billion annually and that Warren hopes to announce "sooner than later."

Warren noted that the Big Ten soon will have a presence in the country's three largest markets -- New York, Los Angeles and Chicago -- and will "provide content all the way from the morning into the night" with its next media rights agreement."

"It is important for all of us in business to recognize that we're in a time of change," Warren said.

"I still feel strongly that we need to open it up to have multiple media partners," Warren said.

"It's so easy to talk about the money and share money, but what does that really mean?" Warren said.

Public institutions are businesses?

Edited by Greenrex
spelling
  • Upvote 4

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

A University in general may not be, but their Athletic Department's definitely are!

I stand corrected: most public universities are non-profit.  But I still have to think they are in the business of pulling in as much money as possible, even if that money goes straight back into resources (salaries/facilities/etc).

20 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Hello, Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, Tucson, Salt Lake City, Denver, and Kansas City...AAU schools in UW, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and Kansas

You're partially wrong. Cal, Stanford, Washington and Oregon are the only Pac 12 schools the Big Ten is targeting.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-evaluating-cal-oregon-stanford-and-washington-from-pac-12-as-further-expansion-considered/

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

I stand corrected: most public universities are non-profit.  But I still have to think they are in the business of pulling in as much money as possible, even if that money goes straight back into resources (salaries/facilities/etc).

So being a non-profit basically means a university has to find a way to spend all of the money they bring in? So endowments are not considered as part of the "profit" formula?

• Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, Cougar King said:

You're partially wrong. Cal, Stanford, Washington and Oregon are the only Pac 12 schools the Big Ten is targeting.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-evaluating-cal-oregon-stanford-and-washington-from-pac-12-as-further-expansion-considered/

With Miami, Florida State, and ND the Big10 looks to be going away from their AAU membership criteria.

On 7/27/2022 at 5:30 PM, meanrob said:

This will get interesting if the big ten extends invites but only if they take less revenue. The schools will take it but you’d have instant bad blood. 

Rutgers and the school that joined the Big Ten with them got considerably less money for several years that other members. Rutgers also borrowed $50 million from the BIG to help upgrade their athletic facilities and their Athletic Department owes the University about $100 million as well. It appears the the BIG won't make a decision to add more schools until mid August when they get the  dollar number from FOX and others which is expected to be about $100 million per university. The PAC 12 should get their final number from ESPN in August also which is expected to only be $25 to $30 million per school. I would not expect any of the 4 schools the BIG 12 has been courting to move until the conference tv negotiations are completed in 2023 so they can compare what they would get against what the are getting. The BIG 12 would probably be in the $30 to $35 million  range. Oregon, Washington , Stanford and Cal are all AAU members and at some point probably will be targeted by the BIG 10. Utah,Colorado,Arizona , and Arizona State are not and are being targeted by the BIG 12 as we speak. In summary its possible/probable that in the next 2 years the PAC 12 folds and both WSU and OSU are left holding hands with the MWC. Fun times.

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Rutgers and the school that joined the Big Ten with them got considerably less money for several years that other members. Rutgers also borrowed $50 million from the BIG to help upgrade their athletic facilities and their Athletic Department owes the University about $100 million as well. It appears the the BIG won't make a decision to add more schools until mid August when they get the  dollar number from FOX and others which is expected to be about $100 million per university. The PAC 12 should get their final number from ESPN in August also which is expected to only be $25 to $30 million per school. I would not expect any of the 4 schools the BIG 12 has been courting to move until the conference tv negotiations are completed in 2023 so they can compare what they would get against what the are getting. The BIG 12 would probably be in the $30 to $35 million  range. Oregon, Washington , Stanford and Cal are all AAU members and at some point probably will be targeted by the BIG 10. Utah,Colorado,Arizona , and Arizona State are not and are being targeted by the BIG 12 as we speak. In summary its possible/probable that in the next 2 years the PAC 12 folds and both WSU and OSU are left holding hands with the MWC. Fun times.

Is there any kind of commitment from the schools themselves under these contracts? Also could the conferences increase their buy outs for teams leaving?

22 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Is there any kind of commitment from the schools themselves under these contracts? Also could the conferences increase their buy outs for teams leaving?

Here is a good article on the ACC's grant of rights and exit fees...

https://www.deseret.com/2022/7/8/23200963/the-accs-grant-of-rights-keeps-being-brought-up-in-conference-realignment-discussions-heres-why

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Well you have 8 of 12 PAC 12 schools either talking to the BIG 10 or PAC 12 about leaving the conference so I doubt its members are going to increase their buyouts. MY guess is that the BIG 10 will determine in it's current negotiations with FOX and Others the present value of adding Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal to its stable. For the sake of argument lets assume these 4 schools are collectively worth $200 million , or $50 million each. While that is half of what the current BIG 10 members anticipate they will receive under their new FOX and others contract, it could be close to double what they will receive in an unstable PAC 12 so I color them gone. With the PAC 12 now cut in half the 4 Western PAC 12 universities could stay with OSU and WSU and merge with the MWC or move to the BIG 12 for stability and more revenue. At present only Arizona is ready to make the move, Utah appears to be on the fence while ASU and Colorado profess commitment to the PAC 12. Notre Dame is locked into the the ACC for another 15 years and received a full share of $35 million. They have an exclusive contract with NBC which is presently being negotiated and the Irish are asking $75million per year. If they get close to that number while getting a full ACC share they will be at or near $100 million per year and have no reason to move to the BIG 10. All of the above is what I read and lumped together is still a "guess and by golly".

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

would not mind having UA and ASU in conference but I am sure they are holding out hope for a big conference.

They have nowhere to go. Neither UA or ASU are AAU members and they have no BIG 10 value. From what I read Arizona would jump today but Arizona State is adamant about staying. Colorado has no interest in returning to the BIG 12 and the Utah president today pledged fealty to the PAC 12. Arizona won't move alone and with the Phoenix t.v. market is stuck for now. My crystal ball [ which has been continually wrong about realignment ] says that unless the BIG 10 swoops in and scoops up Oregon, Washing, Stanford and Cal the members PAC 12 waits until the BIG 12 tv contract is renewed next year to compare what they have with what they could have and respond accordingly. If the PAC 12 is short an annual difference of $10 million per school then the BIG 12 is " open for business."

1 hour ago, wardly said:

They have nowhere to go. Neither UA or ASU are AAU members and they have no BIG 10 value. From what I read Arizona would jump today but Arizona State is adamant about staying. Colorado has no interest in returning to the BIG 12 and the Utah president today pledged fealty to the PAC 12. Arizona won't move alone and with the Phoenix t.v. market is stuck for now. My crystal ball [ which has been continually wrong about realignment ] says that unless the BIG 10 swoops in and scoops up Oregon, Washing, Stanford and Cal the members PAC 12 waits until the BIG 12 tv contract is renewed next year to compare what they have with what they could have and respond accordingly. If the PAC 12 is short an annual difference of $10 million per school then the BIG 12 is " open for business."

Arizona and Utah are both AAU schools

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Arizona and Utah are both AAU schools

OPPS. My bad. Regardless, they are not on BIG 10's list which apparently is Oregon,Washington, Stanford, and Cal. Also I read a burp today saying that for agreeing not to leave the PAC 12 for a specified number of years both Oregon and Washington want a bigger piece of the pie. Fun stuff.