DRC: Bleed Green's TBT run ends in thriller

11 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

If this game was not at Wichita, I think Bleed Green wins by double digits. 

Anyone else speculate about Woolridge's potential impact too? I wonder what he was thinking after practicing with the team, putting his name on the roster, then sitting on his couch in Mansfield.

Not trying to stir things up, as there could have been a very valid reason (family, whatever).  But, man! This team looks like it could have made a legit run at $1 million dollars and given the Mean Green brand some serious media credentials.  Our DFW base NEEDS that.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Yes.   We have GOT TO get out of the "old Denton" mentality of being the little engine that couldn't.   

We are our own worst enemy, and nobody doubts us more than we do.   I think it is about time we start expecting to be great around here.   We need to stop assuming that others (namely SMU) are capable of great things while we are just "lil' ol' UNT".   

Wanna know why every person that knows me doesn't dare take shots at North Texas?   Because that is MY school and I will be damned if I, or my university, take a back seat to anyone.   In my presence you will not tell me that we are lesser in any form or fashion.   And, it's the damndest thing, those same people now keep up with the goings on of North Texas because that's what it takes to relate to me or converse with me about college sports...I simply won't let you leave my school out of the conversation.   

The bottom line is this...if WE don't respect North Texas, we should have no expectation that others will! 

Sorry @wardly, not meaning to single you out specifically, but the purposeful taking a backseat to others in our own minds has got to stop.   

So why does your post apply to me, as I am only stating the obvious. UNT has played championship men's basketball for the past several years with an average attendance of 4,000 in a 10,000 seat seat arena. Besides verbally supporting North Texas what have you personally done to increase attendance? I have been on 4 church boards and the key to growth is to believe in your faith and bring a friend or neighbor to church. This isn't rocket science . Also you can count on only so many fans from the Metroplex to commute to Denton for sporting events. Our Athletic Department should have an idea as to where our fans come from even if they can't spell " MARKETING".[Quite honestly their lack of apparent interest in marketing  is an embarrassment to our School of Business.] In my opinion the key to UNT growing support and increasing attendance is in Denton and if I were 'King For A Day" that's the market I would target. At 79 I gave up my floor seats and don't attend many basketball games because I just can't see well enough at night to drive in fro Frisco. I also surrendered my club seats because I have had the COVID once and try to avoid large crowds, although that statement is something of an oxymoron considering our average attendance. In summary since my freshman year of 1961 I have supported the Eagles to the best of my financial ability, made some really neat road trips [ the one to Army with my 15 year old grandson was special], and continue to make an annual donation to the Athletic Department. However at my age I will leave it to others to " grow the business" and wish them well in doing so. We all can " talk the talk", but to succeed we need to "walk the walk."

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 7/26/2022 at 10:34 AM, greenminer said:

Anyone else speculate about Woolridge's potential impact too? I wonder what he was thinking after practicing with the team, putting his name on the roster, then sitting on his couch in Mansfield.

Not trying to stir things up, as there could have been a very valid reason (family, whatever).  But, man! This team looks like it could have made a legit run at $1 million dollars and given the Mean Green brand some serious media credentials.  Our DFW base NEEDS that.

Don’t really care. He left once and now has proven he either has no interest in coming back or is not reliable. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

AfterShocks fall in the Semifinals 78-75 in Dayton.  

To Americana for Autism.  Americana for Autism is in their second year and is now in the 2022 'ship game.  Gives us hope for next year.

Their first year they faired just as well as Bleed Green,  winning 2 games as a 5 seed before falling in the S16 to the Golden Eagles.

EDIT: Also of interest: Aftershocks have never won a TBT game outside of Koch Arena.  The entirety of their success is in Wichita.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Cooley said:

We missed out on CJ Massingburg out of high school. (South Oak Cliff) I think he was MVP of the TBT (which I didn’t watch) Led Buffalo to a nice run in the NCAA tournament. May have been MVP in their conference. 

He was really good at Buffalo, helped them get to the Round of 32 a few years ago when they upset Arizona.

• Upvote 1