Dave Campbell's Football Magazine 2022

Big Z

41 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

But they were still optimistic during the offseason. 

Gotta say, if you had optimism after a few of those Dodge seasons or going into Mac’s last season I’d have to call you UNTLifer. 🙂

Also, going into last season was no picnic either except for the hope of Ruder. 

This year feels more apathetic than dread. And even then I’m looking forward to some of the opponents. I’ll agree with you if Aune is the starter. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

However in over 35 years of following NTSU/UNT I can never remember seeing a less optimistic offseason.

The offseasons after years 1, 2 and 3 of Todd Dodge were as much fun as an STD. And I should know because I dated a lot of girls from SMU.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Don't get me wrong, I really hope you are right. I hope Seth has a great season and we actually earn our way into a Bowl and then show up and perform. However in over 35 years of following NTSU/UNT I can never remember seeing a less optimistic offseason. I don't think anyone here wants to see Seth fail, or Wren, but they do seem to put the fanbase on a low priority. The problem is not the die-hards who will come on the fan forums, but having the ability to fire up the average fans. 

I hear what you’re saying, but I live in FW. The land of the Frog, and I am amazed at how many people say we are improving and “putting together a good little squad.” It amazes me that the perception from the outside is so much more positive than it is on the inside. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, untlynchka1 said:

I hear what you’re saying, but I live in FW. The land of the Frog, and I am amazed at how many people say we are improving and “putting together a good little squad.” It amazes me that the perception from the outside is so much more positive than it is on the inside. 

Also, I know it’s probably coach speak, but had the opportunity to talk to Coach Patterson while he was a regular at the restaurant I worked at, at the time, and he was a big fan of Littrell. Really super complimentary. 

• Upvote 1

There will still be a great Apogee crowd for the home season opener when another record-breaking UNT Freshman class show up en mass.  
Heck!  The Green Brigade will probably be larger, too. Their parents will be there to see their little Susie & Johnny march at a college football game. 
Most of you will be there. (I’ll be there with ya’)! 

🔵🔴SMU’ers have already started buying tickets in the shaded part of Apogee (according to PonyFans.com) 

E59C257E-8264-43CF-9F2F-A9138039C173.jpeg.5419ee0562f51377b5b504339f98709f.jpeg

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

There will still be a great Apogee crowd for the home season opener when another record-breaking UNT Freshman class show up en mass.  
Heck!  The Green Brigade will probably be larger, too. Their parents will be there to see their little Susie & Johnny march at a college football game. 

🔵🔴SMU’ers have already started buying tickets in the shaded part of Apogee (according to PonyFans.com) 

Yeah, all 12 of them will be in the shade…

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Lose to UTEP and he should be done. In the time he has been our head coach, UTEP would have gone from being a winless/ multiple 1 win seasons team and considered the worst football program in the country to now beating us. If that doesn't scream stagnation and incompetence, I don't know what else will. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

I hear what you’re saying, but I live in FW. The land of the Frog, and I am amazed at how many people say we are improving and putting together a good little squad.” It amazes me that the perception from the outside is so much more positive than it is on the inside. 

I call statements like that "southern and/or southwestern condescension". They're just being polite (like their parents brought them up to be) because they can't imagine TCU and UNT will ever play one another....at least in the next 10 years. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

The Band was getting large (and unwieldy) before "Fessor Cook" took it over. Instead of getting slimmer and less unwieldy (by comparison, OU's band is listed as being 333 members) it continues to get larger. I think that before Fessor Cook took over the main reason for the "enlargement" of the band was to have more butts in the seats, along with the support system for the new members, which creates even more butts in the seats.

For the first time in North Texas History, our Band begins with a NORTH TEXAS FANFARE. It's a great beginning, but  the pregame  gets a bit tedious and perfunctory after that.  The Green Brigade has some great talent, but I don't see the same enthusiasm and FAN ENGAGEMENT like I do with the Bands in this video.

Take The Field - Official Trailer - Bing video

333 OU Band members. Do they seem "unwieldy? Do they generate FAN ENGAGEMENT?

Pride of Oklahoma Pregame - Bing video

How about LSU Band and their FAN ENGAGEMENT?

The Neck in LSU's Death Valley - Bing video

BTW, is OU or LSU nationally or internationally famous for their school of music?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I call statements like that "southern and/or southwestern condescension". They're just being polite (like their parents brought them up to be) because they can't imagine TCU and UNT will ever play one another....at least in the next 10 years. 

I saw it as a bit condescending, too.  TCU at Fouts was my first UNT game back in 2001. It was a good game, if I remember correctly. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Lose to UTEP and he should be done. In the time he has been our head coach, UTEP would have gone from being a winless/ multiple 1 win seasons team and considered the worst football program in the country to now beating us. If that doesn't scream stagnation and incompetence, I don't know what else will. 

I wouldn't put it all on one game.  It's at UTEP, they're expecting a big, fired up crowd, and UTEP isn't a bad team.  And most C-USA teams can beat most other C-USA teams every once in a while.

Someone else posted that if he hits the 6-loss mark, that's when he should be relieved of his duties.  I think that's fair.  If he's lost multiple blowouts, maybe sooner.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

One of my biggest regrets looking back at my time at North Texas was not trying out for the Green Brigade. I enjoyed it in high school and probably would have had a blast. Ah well. 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

Also, I know it’s probably coach speak, but had the opportunity to talk to Coach Patterson while he was a regular at the restaurant I worked at, at the time, and he was a big fan of Littrell. Really super complimentary. 

Outsiders (probably correctly) think what Littrell has done in Denton is borderline miracle work. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Pellom said:

Outsiders (probably correctly) think what Littrell has done in Denton is borderline miracle work. 

Those outsiders are probably still not interested in coming to see a game, and UNT attendance - call them insiders - are losing interest.

I don't consider that miracle work, even by Denton standards.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

This is my thought as well. If you have lived in this state for any amount of time, whenever UNT Football comes up while talking to other SWC alums and fans, they all say the same stuff.

"Yall are having a nice team up there" "Yall have a nice little stadium finally" "I see yall made a bowl--good for you"

These people have no idea or interest in our program. Nor do they want to be associated with us, except Rice. The only time that we got their interest was when we whipped Arkansas, whom they all hate with a passion. Otherwise, they think of us as UTEP, UTSA, Texas State, SFA, SHSU, etc...

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, greenminer said:

Those outsiders are probably still not interested in coming to see a game, and UNT attendance - call them insiders - are losing interest.

I don't consider that miracle work, even by Denton standards.

I don’t doubt the disinterest or apathy, but I think it’s because Littrell raised the floor tremendously with two straight 9 win seasons. 

I understand we all wanted to take the next step to bowl wins and conference titles and that hasn’t happened - but making 5 bowl games in 6 years is literally unprecedented here. 

I’m not arguing Littrell is a savior. I’m not arguing that he can’t be fired even if we have a losing season. I think it’s very possible he would be. I am just saying it is very odd to me to see all the disinterest when things have been much worse for this program for the majority of the lifetime of every single person reading this post. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Pellom said:

I don’t doubt the disinterest or apathy, but I think it’s because Littrell raised the floor tremendously with two straight 9 win seasons. 

I understand we all wanted to take the next step to bowl wins and conference titles and that hasn’t happened - but making 5 bowl games in 6 years is literally unprecedented here. 

What SL has accomplished is not unprecedented or miraculous.  What IS unprecedented is the amount of resources we are providing our coaches.

We have a history - in my lifetime and before it (not sure what age you are) - of spats of TREMENDOUS success....and then basically not doing anything with it.  That's exactly what SL has experienced.  IMO, not unprecedented.

I can go back further to a generation of Mean Green fans that saw much more consist success, but that is pre-1970s and I don't think that applies to the majority of fans in Apogee today.  They have seen 3 successes - Dickey's bowl run, McCarney's bowl win, and the era of Fine.

Appreciate the response. #GoMeanGreen

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

43 minutes ago, Pellom said:

I’m not arguing Littrell is a savior. I’m not arguing that he can’t be fired even if we have a losing season. I think it’s very possible he would be. I am just saying it is very odd to me to see all the disinterest when things have been much worse for this program for the majority of the lifetime of every single person reading this post. 

Only 2 of the 5 bowls were earned with winning records. Hardly impressive. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pellom said:

This is sadly true. If we go 6-6 and fire Littrell there will be people who say UNT is making a mistake and thinking too highly of themselves. I think it's complete BS. Any coach who goes 4 straight seasons without a winning record should be fired. But make no mistake, that line of thinking will be out there. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727