Dave Campbell's Football Magazine 2022

Big Z

10 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

No, these projected results will not keep SL around for 2023, and he knows it.

Here's hoping he hits a win total so high that everyone is glad he's back for '23.

Believe me I hope you're right but after listening to Wren's interview I have my doubts

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

37 minutes ago, Bryan316 said:

That's a milquetoast prediction. We'll be perfectly balanced, losing to the six good teams and beating the six bad teams. At least it pins to a bulletin board well.

6-6 will get us to a bowl however and in my mind that probably keep Seth around for another year.  I do not think he will get an extension but just get to coach out his last contract year as it expires after 2023.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

6-6 just means we see what happens in the bowl game against whatever MAC or SBC team we play…a loss means he’s done and we waste a few weeks that could have been used to hire someone else and a new staff. A win means Papa Lovelace gets to enjoy the holidays with his “son” SL and they celebrate his extension for the next 3-4 years ahead.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

14 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Believe me I hope you're right but after listening to Wren's interview I have my doubts

The same interview you gather that Wren does not prioritize winning is the same interview he said, I quote "No one hates losing more than me."

I think the pessimist in you can have some Mean Green koolaid.  Wren knows winning matters.

I personally think, in this exact scenario, SL gets canned.  Any win total within that 5-6 range is going to need factor in what kind of momentum we end the season on.  Losing 3 out of last 5 games is not good enough.  This scenario probably means no one in our QB room established themselves.  ANd, if we are honest, this exact 6-win scenario probably plays out into a bowl game and we all know how SL handles bowl games with average QB play.  So that's a big blowout loss to close out a miserable 6 game stretch.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, wardly said:

Amazing that our benchmark is 6&6 with bowl invitation. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. About 2/3's of D1A football teams get a bowl invitation and SL has yet to win one.

Agree! I said it a bit back, I no longer feel a bowl appearance means we are heading in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

I don’t feel good about any of the projected wins against FBS Teams except Rice & La Tech.   I don’t think we beat both FIU and FAU.  I think we split the games against the Florida schools at best.  UNLV will be still early season optimistic probably and play hard at home.  Teams will also game plan to make sure the running game doesn’t kill them.   They are going to try to force the Mean Green to prove they pass efficiently.  If they are successful stopping the run and the QB play doesn’t progress we are looking at less than 6 wins.

• Upvote 3

Predicting CUSA football is always problematic, but with the portal; I don't see how anyone can accurately project results next season.

DCTF has basically punted with a 6-6 prediction.

The conference schedule is not favorable with NT playing most of the projected better teams on the road.

I am going to save my prediction till closer to the opener, but I do believe that NT will be significantly better than last year.  QB play almost has to improve and I think the defense will continue to get better under the current defensive coaching staff. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/25/2022 at 9:28 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

You keep referring to the interview and saying WB said he didn't care about winning. That is not what he said. I went back and listened. i'm attempting to paraphrase what he said but basically he said in conversations/evaluations with coaches, fans might be surprised how little of the conversation is focused on wins/losses. There's conversations around recruitment/retention, development, academic success, etc. etc. and then he said all of those things that contribute to success athletically and academically. That is not the same as saying winning isn't important. It is basically saying what most coaches/admins always say and this focusing on process is what's more important. 

I'm mixed about HCSL but I have never gotten the sense that Smatresk nor Baker believe winning isn't important.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

You keep referring to the interview and saying WB said he didn't care about winning. That is not what he said. I went back and listened. i'm attempting to paraphrase what he said but basically he said in conversations/evaluations with coaches, fans might be surprised how little of the conversation is focused on wins/losses. There's conversations around recruitment/retention, development, academic success, etc. etc. and then he said all of those things that contribute to success athletically and academically. That is not the same as saying winning isn't important. It is basically saying what most coaches/admins always say and this focusing on process is what's more important. 

I'm mixed about HCSL but I have never gotten the sense that Smatresk nor Baker believe winning isn't important.

I would tend to agree more if we did not pay a coach almost 2 mil a year to be under 500 for the past three years in a conference that has not been very good. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

Don't get me wrong, I really hope you are right. I hope Seth has a great season and we actually earn our way into a Bowl and then show up and perform. However in over 35 years of following NTSU/UNT I can never remember seeing a less optimistic offseason. I don't think anyone here wants to see Seth fail, or Wren, but they do seem to put the fanbase on a low priority. The problem is not the die-hards who will come on the fan forums, but having the ability to fire up the average fans. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

I sure this have been brought up, but of the 12 D1 BCS Schools in Texas,  North Texas is the only school with the Same Head Coach Since 2017.  As a PROUD Cowboy's follower. I'm getting Jason Garrett vibes with Coach. This will be an interesting season none the less. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Don't get me wrong, I really hope you are right. I hope Seth has a great season and we actually earn our way into a Bowl and then show up and perform. However in over 35 years of following NTSU/UNT I can never remember seeing a less optimistic offseason. I don't think anyone here wants to see Seth fail, or Wren, but they do seem to put the fanbase on a low priority. The problem is not the die-hards who will come on the fan forums, but having the ability to fire up the average fans. 

Have you forgotten the Dodge years or the 90s? Our fanbase would have killed for a 6-7 season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1