It is time,

Wag Tag

With the proposed unlimited transfer options, the increase in P5 schollys to 95 and the NIL money it is time for the G's TO PULL OUT OF THE NCAA! 

They need to form their own league with 4-5 conferences, set their own rules, and have a play off system with a national championship.

There has not been 1 thing approved that has benefitted a G5 except maybe SMU with the NIL money.

I could see a number of schools dropping football and focusing on BB! The next movement we will see is an increase scholarships for BB. 

P5's are doing all in their power to make sure they never get upset by a G5 program.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

44 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

With the proposed unlimited transfer options, the increase in P5 schollys to 95 and the NIL money it is time for the G's TO PULL OUT OF THE NCAA! 

They need to form their own league with 4-5 conferences, set their own rules, and have a play off system with a national championship.

There has not been 1 thing approved that has benefitted a G5 except maybe SMU with the NIL money.

I could see a number of schools dropping football and focusing on BB! The next movement we will see is an increase scholarships for BB. 

P5's are doing all in their power to make sure they never get upset by a G5 program.

So in other words, you want UNT to drop down to FCS. Have fun being one of a few hundred people in the stands watching that garbage. 

Maybe there are those in the UNT administration who feel the same as you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

46 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

How would that stop your players from transferring schools? They are still college students after all.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

FBS conferences now are being formed by Football value of a school.  But those school's all have other sports, and they get dragged along into the new conference also. 

You are proposing breaking away from playing a Baylor-type program in football, but what about in basketball, softball, or soccer, etc? 

Some of the biggest games fans and players look forward to is against the best programs = P5.  FCS schools love to play FBS programs.   Likewise, while we hate the rules benefiting the top end, G5's love to play and beat the P5's.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, NT80 said:

FBS conferences now are being formed by Football value of a school.  But those school's all have other sports, and they get dragged along into the new conference also. 

You are proposing breaking away from playing a Baylor-type program in football, but what about in basketball, softball, or soccer, etc? 

Some of the biggest games fans and players look forward to is against the best programs = P5.  FCS schools love to play FBS programs.   Likewise, while we hate the rules benefiting the top end, G5's love to play and beat the P5's.

You would still have OOC of your choice. The NCAA does nothing for us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I truly don't care if we ever play another P5 program again in any sport.  They only use those games now to get a look at our best players and see how they match up or fit in their programs.  Playing them only helps them pick the best players off our roster.

I won't be upset the day the P5 do what they want and actually break away from the NCAA and become a minor league system for the NFL and NBA.  I won't surprise me either when the requirement to attend class is lifted and getting a degree while playing becomes optional at the P5 level.  

It is coming.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

No they are monopolizing revenue.  This problem has been growing since the end of CFA.  When league members aren’t sharing media money equally the product suffers.  I think the biggest gripe is that in addition to not sharing revenue is that P5 generally don’t go to G5 yards to play.  For instance let say the PAC 12 had required maintain 2 for 1 or home and  home series with a G5 opponents in the CST or eastern time zones.  A decade of games of PAC 12 teams playing in DFW, Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans, Tulsa, and Miami would have grown the PAC 12 brand and grew programs like SMU, Houston, Rice, UTSA, Tulane, and ours.  Then the blow of losing UCLA and USC could have been softened a little.  Then maybe Houston tells the Big 12 no in favor of going to the PAC 12. If they wanted to improve Pac 12 network subscription numbers they need a reason for Major market fans in the CST time zone to watch, and you can’t schedule UT, Nebraska & OU every year.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

You would still have OOC of your choice. The NCAA does nothing for us. 

I do think the NCAA is going away, as far as football at least.  I have seen references to P5's setting up their own Administration to oversee their leagues.  It will probably morph into the 1-A and 1-AA thing again.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I do think the NCAA is going away, as far as football at least.  I have seen references to P5's setting up their own Administration to oversee their leagues.  It will probably morph into the 1-A and 1-AA thing again.

I agree and they will lose a ton of fans not heavily invested in the blue blood programs.   And it will be even worse if after the pair down P5 and they go to a 8 team or more playoff.  If all the big brand schools are virtually guaranteed a playoff slot by a preseason ranking in the top ten, it diminishes the importance of the regular season.  They are following the path of MLB baseball before their luxury tax/cap system.  And MLB still hasn't recovered from that short sighted "you teams financial success comes at the expense of my team's financial success" mindset.  This is also similar to the rise alternative world boxing sanactioning organizations watering down what it means to be champion and limiting matches between top fighters.  In boxing it is understand because it is an individual sport with brands that are the fighters themselves.  The greed is making them make horrible decisions for the long term appeal of CFB that is dependent on its diversity of schools competing.  Except in the most rural states in the nation every citizen has a FBS level program to root for that is in reasonable one day event driving distance.  I think very few people in major markets are watching mediocre blue blood teams religiously.   Especially when they get to the point where a conference title or playoff birth are not attainable.    That is when I hear Saban I want to vomit and curse the radio and TV.  If all the blue bloods played one game a year in a G5's stadium the financials wouldn't be so dire for many G5 programs.  All 130 FBS schools would make more money long term.  And millions of alumni never exposed to college football today might have from a blue blood visiting their school while they were students.

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Cougar King said:

So in other words, you want UNT to drop down to FCS. Have fun being one of a few hundred people in the stands watching that garbage. 

Maybe there are those in the UNT administration who feel the same as you. 

This is always one of the comebacks and it is stupid! Yea just stay where you are and hope it gets better? It is not! You would still be G5. Money is in the playoffs and championship games. High school has figured this out!

8 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

How 'bout instead we kick the upper-level P5s OUT of the NCAA. 
Let them form a semi-pro league independent of collegiate athletics.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

This is always one of the comebacks and it is stupid! Yea just stay where you are and hope it gets better? It is not! You would still be G5. Money is in the playoffs and championship games. High school has figured this out!

Honestly, we can all be more constructive when talking about this.

Historically, we can look at our previous drop and have good reason to be skeptical.
We can also acknowledge that every problem in that era was reinforced by an administration that did not want us to have football.
...so, what might happen if we drop again but continue with this new administration and accompanying investment?

You're going to hate me for this, but I don't think it would work out.  Part of the reason we are investing so much money now is because we have sold our brand/program/product to people under the assumption that we want to compete at the highest level.  We are shooting for new dollar figures now for the sole reason that we have invested ourselves into the AAC.

Guess what an FCS drop suggests? While you may think that it puts us in the best position to win/have fun again, it also might sever our relationships with people who want us to pursue G5/AAC.  What kind of money are we potentially losing? 

After that, what happens is kind of a mystery IMO.  Maybe playoff success gets us a new generation of fans and support that can work.  But what if it doesn't?

....just throwing that out there.  Not as simple as any of us want to believe.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2