Penn St. laying ground work for a player's Union?, seen as employees of their school? want a cut of media rights revenue...

NT80

Stahl spoke to Warren earlier this week about a trio of initial topics the CFBPA wants to negotiate with the Big Ten:

• A representative on each campus who can advocate for players during medical situations or other disputes. The representative would be hired by the CFBPA and serve an on-site role similar to the player representatives in professional sports unions.
• Funds from the conference to purchase medical insurance policies for former players that would cover the treatment of injuries from their college football careers.
• A to-be-determined percentage of media rights revenue for players.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34262479/penn-state-qb-sean-clifford-big-ten-commissioner-kevin-warren-discuss-improving-benefits

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yeah I’m getting to the point where I am not crushed with a full collapse of the current system. There will be a reset. There will be college football. There will be tailgates and road games. There will be regional rivalries. The trying to keep up and daily changes are getting boring. 

beat utep

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Not expecting a lot of this to last. Conferences will eventually have their own rules. Either separately or together. 

Several of the p5s are already talking about changing the rule to go up to at least 95 scholarships. If you take this across the P5 and even 40 of the schools decide they can do that you're talking another 400 players taken off the board. For everyone that keeps thinking that G5 is in the same division as P5 at some point the reality has to step in.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

It doesn’t matter if reality steps in. If the G5 presidents continue to stay attached to the P5 model, they’ll only get scraps. The problem is there are numerous G5 programs who hope to make the jump and would never distance themselves from P5. 

I don’t know how this plays out but there’s zero scenario that it ends up with some version of a level playing field. The G5s are basically the titanic and knowing the iceberg is out there. Instead of having faith in their product and fan bases, it’s full steam ahead toward the iceberg. I get it, getting everyone on board would be tough, but not doing anything seems dumb. 

• Upvote 4

Haha, this is awesome. They're eating each other and there's no end in sight. Eventually, there will be 15-25 schools that can actually afford to keep up. I hope this thing snowballs in oblivion. Then, and only then, the rest of us can pick up the slack and step over them and continue playing COLLEGE football. 

The system is being forced to pay basically kids for OTJ training given they all think they're going pro and their college stop is just training for the big show. It's fantastic. As passion for the spirt of collegiate athletics starts to fade, which it will, I'm not sure what avenue some programs take to keep up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The system is being forced to pay basically kids for OTJ training given they all think they're going pro and their college stop is just training for the big show. It's fantastic.

That is an absolute inaccuracy.  The system is trying to operate FOR PROFIT and pay everyone associated with the product as if it is a for profit business.  Nobody pays to watch Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Seth Littrel or etc coach or these conference commissioners, bowl organizers & ADs do their jobs.  Yet most of those people make high six figures or millions while the professors educating the players make 80k and way below.   If these programs operated like true 501 community servicing charities no way they are getting high six figure salaries from public funds.  Coaches & AD's should NEVER be the highest paid university staff.  No coach in the country should draw a salary from the University higher than the school president & school deans.  The excess money should always been put back into the school or athletic supporting resources like academic aid staff (tutors), medical care and/or facilities for student athletes.  Saban and others near his level should probably be making around 500k max from university/athletic department funds.  If the local business want to pay Saban NIL funds on top of that with contracts not dependent on them coaching a particular school fine.  Otherwise these coaches are eating off the brand name of the school just like fans are taking issue with the players wanting a piece would be.   If anyone here think that Seth or any other coach not getting a team to a New Year's 6 Bowl or Playoff brings over $1.8 million in value to UNT I would like to know how.  Hell with right people vouching for me in recruiting I could guide Michigan to 0.500 record and a Potato Salad bowl.  The truth is we watch these games for the brands/communities they represent and the performances of the student athletes.  It has NEVER mattered who coached them, lead the atheltic departments, or conference adminstration only showing up and playing well game day.   And have a compelling product.  If Texas and OU could get all that SEC money by playing less than schools inside the borders of our state they would add deliver blowout unwatchable games 95% of the time.  When you really understand that you understand why none of their decision have anything to do with what players can actually control.  So I don't fault them at ALL.  It's the greedy cut throat older adults that got us to the space. Players see the hypocrisy, lack of focus on education and cut throatness they have adjusted accordingly.  The only thing to do now that wouldn't be totally hypocritical is the NFL paying a fee to schools for alumni drafted from their programs.  And weight the fee by draft position, cost of their education, and athletic support.   So a 7th round pick from Alabama has a fee higher than a 4th round pick from UTSA or UNT.  Let's see how much in fee these teams are willing to pay for Saban's OJT.   Because is high salary would be factored into that draft fee.  These leaders inside FBS are taking more value out of them system than they are actually generating just like most CEOs.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

It's all about value ($$).   The President of Alabama doesn't make as much salary as Saban because he is more easily replaceable.  He doesn't provide as much value (wins and media = image = school applications = $$) to the school as Nick Saban.  

I have heard that before.  And I have always that was BS.  Alabama was a football power under other coaches.  And most likely if you plug in a guy like Seth you aren't winning multiple conference titles or national titles but you are still winning a lot of games on TV in full stadiums.   Also his success doesn't drive the value of the media rights contract of the conference.  Also his value is chiefly from being able to bring the best talent to play for him.  But that isn't the mission of University of Alabama.  Whether Saban's coaching or not if a over 0.500 Crimson Tide team is on the field in Tuscaloosa the stadium will be sold out.  And you could say the same for most big brand schools.  And some the biggest and best academic schools in the nation don't play FBS football.  These guys aren't bigger than the university and they shouldn't be paid like they are. The whole system reeks of massive hypocrisy because the players putting their bodies on the line are expected to play for "love of school/game" and remain loyal or be critized massively if they don't.  And a the while these players are not getting paid and the best of them are critized in the media and forums like this.  

When they put a cap on coach pay (referencing university president & dean pay) that made sense then I might rail against NIL.

Also the conference value doesn't make sense when there are a ton irrelevant FBS teams Big 10 and SEC.  Those dead weight programs get equal share.  We all know the hottest experienced head coaches in football aren't going to Purdue, Missouri, Kentucky, Miss State, Indiana, Kansas, Illinois, Vandy and etc.  At best they get failed retreads or hot assistants.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

That is an absolute inaccuracy.  The system is trying to operate FOR PROFIT and pay everyone associated with the product as if it is a for profit business.  Nobody pays to watch Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Seth Littrel or etc coach or these conference commissioners, bowl organizers & ADs do their jobs.  Yet most of those people make high six figures or millions while the professors educating the players make 80k and way below.   If these programs operated like true 501 community servicing charities no way they are getting high six figure salaries from public funds.  Coaches & AD's should NEVER be the highest paid university staff.  No coach in the country should draw a salary from the University higher than the school president & school deans.  The excess money should always been put back into the school or athletic supporting resources like academic aid staff (tutors), medical care and/or facilities for student athletes.  Saban and others near his level should probably be making around 500k max from university/athletic department funds.  If the local business want to pay Saban NIL funds on top of that with contracts not dependent on them coaching a particular school fine.  Otherwise these coaches are eating off the brand name of the school just like fans are taking issue with the players wanting a piece would be.   If anyone here think that Seth or any other coach not getting a team to a New Year's 6 Bowl or Playoff brings over $1.8 million in value to UNT I would like to know how.  Hell with right people vouching for me in recruiting I could guide Michigan to 0.500 record and a Potato Salad bowl.  The truth is we watch these games for the brands/communities they represent and the performances of the student athletes.  It has NEVER mattered who coached them, lead the atheltic departments, or conference adminstration only showing up and playing well game day.   And have a compelling product.  If Texas and OU could get all that SEC money by playing less than schools inside the borders of our state they would add deliver blowout unwatchable games 95% of the time.  When you really understand that you understand why none of their decision have anything to do with what players can actually control.  So I don't fault them at ALL.  It's the greedy cut throat older adults that got us to the space. Players see the hypocrisy, lack of focus on education and cut throatness they have adjusted accordingly.  The only thing to do now that wouldn't be totally hypocritical is the NFL paying a fee to schools for alumni drafted from their programs.  And weight the fee by draft position, cost of their education, and athletic support.   So a 7th round pick from Alabama has a fee higher than a 4th round pick from UTSA or UNT.  Let's see how much in fee these teams are willing to pay for Saban's OJT.   Because is high salary would be factored into that draft fee.  These leaders inside FBS are taking more value out of them system than they are actually generating just like most CEOs.

I understand. Point still stands. 

Keeping up, especially if a players union is formed, will be impossible for most. 

• Puking Eagle 1