D-1 Council Recommends UNLIMITED Transfers?

I wish I were a fly on these walls.

One extra dynamic in all this power play is where people are getting their money from.  I read years ago that most of the money for the NCAA comes from March Madness.  Football money is entirely between the media and the school.

Not sure if that still stands?

• Upvote 2

Let me preface what I’m about to say with:  Coaches who cheat and break the rules should be punished severely.

I don’t really have an issue with unlimited transfers. I think players should have the ability to come and go as they deem best for their own personal life, whether I or anyone else thinks it’s what’s best for them. It’s no different to me than when I hire someone at work, invest time and money into them to help make them a better employee, and they choose to move on. That’s really just kind of how the world works. Even their coaches benefit from that kind of freedom.

It’s interesting that we tend to expect multi-year commitments from athletes yet they only receive annual scholarships.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

19 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Let me preface what I’m about to say with:  Coaches who cheat and break the rules should be punished severely.

I don’t really have an issue with unlimited transfers. I think players should have the ability to come and go as they deem best for their own personal life, whether I or anyone else thinks it’s what’s best for them. It’s no different to me than when I hire someone at work, invest time and money into them to help make them a better employee, and they choose to move on. That’s really just kind of how the world works. Even their coaches benefit from that kind of freedom.

It’s interesting that we tend to expect multi-year commitments from athletes yet they only receive annual scholarships.

This is really what we are coming down to. Players are now paid employees. If they don't produce fire them! The real killer for Mid level schools will be if they lift the scholarship limits.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Do we honestly think Jeff Traylor and Bill Clark and FAU are playing by the rules?  Or SMUt?   I think Rice is honest and always will be but outside of them I don’t see it happening.  Too much money to be made by the coaches and players now with NIL.  There is no enforcement so it’s like the Wild Wild West. Look at KD, he was tampered with after the supposed deadline by many teams!

6 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Do we honestly think Jeff Traylor and Bill Clark and FAU are playing by the rules?  Or SMUt?   I think Rice is honest and always will be but outside of them I don’t see it happening.  Too much money to be made by the coaches and players now with NIL.  There is no enforcement so it’s like the Wild Wild West. Look at KD, he was tampered with after the supposed deadline by many teams!

I have no idea who’s breaking the rules anymore. What I do know is that the players shouldn’t be restricted because the NCAA and their membership schools can’t follow the rules.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

There's a recurring theme buried underneath these discussions, and that's about how we expect student-athletes to behave as responsible adults.

On one side of this spectrum, people want to think that once you hit 18, you are a legal adult and will act/be treated like one.  This is where your sentiment aligns.  Go where you think is best!, and take care of yourself first! are common in these conversations.
On the other side, student athletes are still in college, making stupid college, no-so-adult-like decisions.  Impulsively reaching for the next shiny thing that comes into your life.  I understand why this mindset continues, it makes sense to not give total control to someone that is not equipped to make the wisest decision.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, greenminer said:

it makes sense to not give total control to someone that is not equipped to make the wisest decision.

What gives any of us the right to maintain control from these athletes though? I'm a hard pass on this logic. It's their life to make the decisions they think is best for them, whether I agree with them or not. I'm not out here telling the other students on campus they CAN'T transfer from UNT to Texas Tech because they're not equipped to make "the wisest decision."

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

What gives any of us the right to maintain control from these athletes though?

There is no question that, at some point, one should have total control and responsibility for themselves and their choices.  This is really about what age this should apply.  Maybe one should gain total control at 17? 16? Should it be closer to 23? Maybe it should be in line with the legal expectations when hitting 18.  Maybe it should be when you leave your parent/guardians house, no matter what age.

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

There is no question that, at some point, one should have total control and responsibility for themselves and their choices.  This is really about what age this should apply.  Maybe one should gain total control at 17? 16? Should it be closer to 23? Maybe it should be in line with the legal expectations when hitting 18.  Maybe it should be when you leave your parent/guardians house, no matter what age.

I don't mean to unravel this thread.  Sorry.  I think ultimately this comes back to, what do we want the game of college football to be?

20 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

What gives any of us the right to maintain control from these athletes though? I'm a hard pass on this logic. It's their life to make the decisions they think is best for them, whether I agree with them or not. I'm not out here telling the other students on campus they CAN'T transfer from UNT to Texas Tech because they're not equipped to make "the wisest decision."

Once we decide what we want CFB to be, then it's reasonable to 1) have that expectation in place, and 2) inform student-athletes of those expectations, and expect them to honor their commitment to it

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

May as well drop it down to high school, maybe even middle school.  Why should a kid be stuck at a high school for 4 years if there is another high school that can help them get where they want to go?

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

19 minutes ago, NT93 said:

May as well drop it down to high school, maybe even middle school.  Why should a kid be stuck at a high school for 4 years if there is another high school that can help them get where they want to go?

Parents of those MINORS do have the ability to move, homeschool, send to private school, etc. if they think there's a better option for their children than the one they're currently in.

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

Parents of those MINORS do have the ability to move, homeschool, send to private school, etc. if they think there's a better option for their children than the one they're currently in.

But they can’t just transfer and play at the new school immediately in most cases.  There are transfer rules in place for a reason.

41 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Right, which is why this proposal has transfer windows.

I’m not trying to make the argument that it’s the same difference, I’m just saying, “Where does it stop?”.

But, a transfer window isn’t the same thing.  If a high school kid transfers, he has to sit out a year.  The new NCAA proposal allows multiple transfers with immediate eligibility.  Not the same.

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

Who cares? It's not the responsibility of the college rule to make decisions about what's best for HS or MS students.

You don’t care.  I do.  Not much left to say.

In the words of the great philosopher Cosmo Kramer, “Without rules there’s chaos.”

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1