DRC (updated with story): UNT schedules series with Louisiana Tech

Brett Vito

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC (updated with story): UNT schedules series with Louisiana Tech
1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

Why can't any program come to denton first....

(yes I know we have 2 home games in 2023)

This has always bothered me too, but in this case it was the only way it could be scheduled. UNT or LA Tech were either booked up or the open dates didn't align. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

LATech is the only team I'll miss playing on the regular (shout out to SoMiss, maybe we can play them later).   But I think we need to look at scheduling home/home with some of the better, more recognizable MWC teams.   We have UNLV, but I hope we can get teams like COSt, UNM, and SDSU as well.

Boise St. would be a big one too

• Upvote 3

What I don't like about this is throwing La Tech a lifeline. They are drowning in CUSA and we are giving them a hand by playing them in OOC, when you can work to keep them below you. They recruit directly against us. I'd rather play USM, MUTS, or WKU, personally...

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 4

8 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

What I don't like about this is throwing La Tech a lifeline. They are drowning in CUSA and we are giving them a hand by playing them in OOC, when you can work to keep them below you. They recruit directly against us. I'd rather play USM, MUTS, or WKU, personally...

You raise a good point but I am guessing that Wren sees them as a good attendance game for us as they have a lot of fans in DFW.  But I do agree that we are helping them in a big way to continue recruiting against us.  I think if we get a new coach who is a better recruiter this won't be as big an issue though.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

You raise a good point but I am guessing that Wren sees them as a good attendance game for us as they have a lot of fans in DFW.  But I do agree that we are helping them in a big way to continue recruiting against us.  I think if we get a new coach who is a better recruiter this won't be as big an issue though.

Bingo.
Their place in C-USA is not a good long-term spot.    NT is fine, if we can just start winning again.

• Upvote 1

I think folks are reading way too much into this. The move into the AAC created an opening in 2023. Most football scheduling is done 10 years in advance. Not a lot of options in 2023 which probably helped dictate this series. I always liked La Tech and personally like the series but I'm not sure there's much to debate on this one. There can't be more than 2-3 options in the openings created in 23, 24, 25 by SMU and Memphis games becoming conference games.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

I think folks are reading way too much into this. The move into the AAC created an opening in 2023. Most football scheduling is done 10 years in advance. Not a lot of options in 2023 which probably helped dictate this series. I always liked La Tech and personally like the series but I'm not sure there's much to debate on this one. There can't be more than 2-3 options in the openings created in 23, 24, 25 by SMU and Memphis games becoming conference games.

Why do I feel like SMU wont ever be a conference game.... 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

57 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I don't think we are that critical to their DFW recruiting efforts.  They will get to DFW anyways.

Also, very early, but this ("work to keep them below you") reads very familiar to how SMU talks down on us.  Interesting to see if our fanbase might be adopting this attitude, and who we choose to apply it to.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I don't think we are that critical to their DFW recruiting efforts.  They will get to DFW anyways.

Also, very early, but this ("work to keep them below you") reads very familiar to how SMU talks down on us.  Interesting to see if our fanbase might be adopting this attitude, and who we choose to apply it to.

I have come to figure out that everyone has someone they look down. For us, its been UTSA, who usually treats us like their Super Bowl, but we also take joy in beating them when they are better than us (see 2015 and 2021). As far as SMU goes, its basically the same thing on repeat, minus (2014 and 2018). We get fired up for our Super Bowl, put an incredible emphasis on the game as fans, the team absolutely freezes in front of anything that remotely looks like a Mustang, and we get drilled, only to then hear Coach Mumbles tell us we have to play better in all three phases. Smu looks up to TCU, while TCU looks up to Baylor. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1