Jump to content
  • North Texas vs. UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

Texas Tech NIL Collective


Recommended Posts

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/sports/college/red-raiders/2022/07/18/matador-club-offers-25k-contracts-to-100-tech-football-players/65375501007/

The Matador Club, a non-profit collective organized by Texas Tech donors, plans this week to sign 100 Red Raiders football players each to one-year, $25,000 contracts.

Cody Campbell, a founding member of the Matador Club board of directors, said all 85 scholarship players and 15 of the top walk-ons will be covered under the agreements. In return, they'll be expected to do community service and charitable work around Lubbock and, in the future, possibly other West Texas cities.

  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

$25,000 is enough to influence kids to join Texas Tech. They are also the first ones to give some money to walk-ons that contribute. These kids get nothing from playing, not even meal money. It will be interesting as the Group of 5 programs start pulling together money to insure they are in the mix for quality players. The private schools will have a leg up for sure!

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Okiefan said:

$25,000 is enough to influence kids to join Texas Tech. They are also the first ones to give some money to walk-ons that contribute. These kids get nothing from playing, not even meal money. It will be interesting as the Group of 5 programs start pulling together money to insure they are in the mix for quality players. The private schools will have a leg up for sure!

Agree.  I think for someone like KD, he would get more money at a Texas A&M but could he have the same stats and results that he gets here at UNT?  The key thing I see is can a player still have a valid shot at the NFL if they are at a G5?  That is a much better prize for these young men.

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Okiefan said:

$25,000 is enough to influence kids to join Texas Tech. They are also the first ones to give some money to walk-ons that contribute. These kids get nothing from playing, not even meal money. It will be interesting as the Group of 5 programs start pulling together money to insure they are in the mix for quality players. The private schools will have a leg up for sure!

That donated money will dry up real fast if they don't produce as a team.  One year of 6-6 in that conference and boosters will stop giving and start calling for a new HC.  Sarkisian at Texas is already said to be on the hot seat after one year of 5-7. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

That donated money will dry up real fast if they don't produce as a team.  One year of 6-6 in that conference and boosters will stop giving and start calling for a new HC.  Sarkisian at Texas is already said to be on the hot seat after one year of 5-7. 

Wrong. Cody Campbell and Jeff Sellers are both former players at Tech and sold their oil company (Double Eagle) for 6.4 billion. I'm pretty sure they won't be leaving after a .500 season. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

Wrong. Cody Campbell and Jeff Sellers are both former players at Tech and sold their oil company (Double Eagle) for 6.4 billion. I'm pretty sure they won't be leaving after a .500 season. 

Both are good dudes and committed for the long run...also it was the 3rd successful PE backed exit they've had, so pockets are deep.

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is brilliant. It ensures every player on the team gets a solid chunk of change, while also letting players get their own deals on top of this. Strong move from Cody Campbell and Co. That oil money in West Texas is deep, y’all. This isn’t going away anytime soon.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.