How important is UTEP game in setting direction for the season?

NT80

UTEP:  Road game, night game, conference game, 

7-6 in 2021, lost in New Mexico Bowl to Fresno 24-31,

30,000 tickets already sold, goal is 40,000+

8/27/2022 * at UTEP El Paso, TX 8:00 P.M.
9/3/2022   SMU Denton, TX 6:30 P.M.
9/10/2022   Texas Southern Denton, TX 6:30 P.M.
9/17/2022   at UNLV Las Vegas, NV 2:00 P.M.
9/24/2022   at Memphis Memphis, TN TBD
10/1/2022 * Florida Atlantic Denton, TX 3:00 P.M.
10/15/2022 * Louisiana Tech Denton, TX 3:00 P.M.
10/22/2022 * at UTSA San Antonio, TX 2:30 P.M.
10/29/2022 * at WKU Bowling Green, KY 2:30 P.M.
11/5/2022 * FIU Denton, TX 3:00 P.M.
11/12/2022 * at UAB Birmingham, AL 2:30 P.M.
11/26/2022 * Rice Denton, TX 1:00 P.M.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

When, if ever, was the last time we beat UTEP at their place? If I were Seth, I would arrange for the team to have a practice week somewhere in the Trans Pecos area, so as to acclimatize to the elevation change. Either that or have them spend time doing aerobic exercise, walking up and down the wing zone, whatever.

• Upvote 5

Really important to start out strong against a team that appears to be at a similar level currently. 
It is not a deal breakage if they lose a hard-fought game on the road. If they get blown out, it’s a very bad sign about how Seth has prepared the team. Equally, we shouldn’t get too high over a win. We should win this type of game. 

• Upvote 4

Very important. The reason he still has a job is because brass think that this year will be different than the past 3. Begin the season with a loss (to what has until recently been the consensus worst program in the country) and the flames should be scalding his seat. I think fans will find that loss unforgiveable. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, eulessismore said:

When, if ever, was the last time we beat UTEP at their place? If I were Seth, I would arrange for the team to have a practice week somewhere in the Trans Pecos area, so as to acclimatize to the elevation change. Either that or have them spend time doing aerobic exercise, walking up and down the wing zone, whatever.

2018 I believe 

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Very important. The reason he still has a job is because brass think that this year will be different than the past 3. Begin the season with a loss (to what has until recently been the consensus worst program in the country) and the flames should be scalding his seat. I think fans will find that loss unforgiveable. 

The reason he still has a job is because of $$$. We either didn't have the funds to buy SL out after last year or we didn't have the cajones to pay his buyout. When you add in the reality of one of your largest donors treating SL like he's a family member, the decision was even easier to make to keep him here.

SL cannot possibly be any luckier to go into a make-it-or-break-it season with this schedule. If he blows it, he knows that being a coordinator at some P5 is waiting for him, while also knowing that if we win 7 games, he gets an extension and gets to make even more money as our head coach for the next 3+ years.

This is peak North Texas luck...as usual.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, eulessismore said:

we've beat UTEP the last 5 times we've played them, Seth lost to them in 2016, his first year here 52-24, in a game that we thought knocked us out of a bowl game.

2020 @ UTEP  45-43, this was the Jaelon Darden game

2018 @ UTEP 27-24, first game after losing to LaTech

• Upvote 1

Playing in El Paso is tough even against bad UTEP teams.  This year obviously it is even more important than usual being the opener and against a team that will probably be ranked higher than NT. 

Losing the first game on the road is not going to break the season, however starting with a conference loss will definitely be hard to overcome.  

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

we've beat UTEP the last 5 times we've played them, Seth lost to them in 2016, his first year here 52-24, in a game that we thought knocked us out of a bowl game.

2020 @ UTEP  45-43, this was the Jaelon Darden game

2018 @ UTEP 27-24, first game after losing to LaTech

My bad, i barely realized that we played them 3 times in a row in Denton... we haven't been in El Paso since 2018.

On 7/18/2022 at 9:50 AM, MrAlien said:

when looking at the rest of the schedule, this is one of the easier games in the front 6, and its a conference game.  Its huge!

Disagree with it being one of the easiest games in the first half of the year. I'd rank our first 7 games in terms of difficulty as below:

1. SMU

2. Memphis

3. UTEP

4. UNLV

5. FAU

6. LA Tech

7. Texas Southern

The UTEP game is MASSIVE. If we can win, it sets us up with a great chance to start 5-2 or 4-3. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

I got UNLV ahead of UTEP, both very winnable, but if those both go wrong then I dont see this team recovering.  This season is a little different, half the season will be done on October 1st... 4 of the first 6 games are against current or future conference opponents, at that point we will know if the program is on the right track.  

• Sad 1