'23 SG Offer: Alex Cotton; Hebron: No Rating

• 3 months later...

Posted this in the other thread with Vito’s article.

Really impressive get. Looks like he averaged 17 a game and made 111 threes in just 35 games, while hitting at a 40% rate. Also 2 steals a game, which we know how imperative it is to play defense if you want minutes here.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/alex-cotton/pI-fv098XkGTk6kkQLbXjA/basketball-21-22/stats.htm

https://www.hudl.com/profile/11966795/Alex-Cotton

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

Not the same build as Chris Davis, but he reminds me of his fluidness.

season 7 episode 23 GIF

Lets not go throwing up comparisons to the best player to come through here this century (Sorry Tony, Sorry Jordan, Sorry Javion).

I hope young Cotton can be that dude for us, but Davis’ bar is up in the Super Pit rafters.  That’s a tall order!

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

season 7 episode 23 GIF

Lets not go throwing up comparisons to the best player to come through here this century (Sorry Tony, Sorry Jordan, Sorry Javion).

I hope young Cotton can be that dude for us, but Davis’ bar is up in the Super Pit rafters.  That’s a tall order!

Exactly! I would say he’s much more James Reese than Chris Davis at the moment.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Appears that he has been injured a majority of the year, but made a successful return recently.

https://starlocalmedia.com/carrolltonleader/a-return-to-full-strength-hebron-pulls-away-in-fourth-quarter-to-solidify-playoff-position/article_587957ee-a5b2-11ed-8305-876cf9ee796f.html

Hebron head boys basketball coach Eric Reil has praised his Hawks for how well they have found ways to win games despite not having senior and North Texas signee Alex Cotton available for the first three months of the season because of a wrist injury.

Although Cotton made his season debut Friday night, the Hawks had already done plenty of winning in his absence, having gone 20-9 without him. But just the sight of seeing the senior forward on the court is an added bonus for a Hebron team that is making a playoff push.

Cotton is continuing to work hard to get in game shape, but it’s hard to ignore the impact when he is in the game. It was definitely noticeable on Saturday. Cotton had 11 points to lead Hebron to a 56-43 victory over Coppell.

• Upvote 5

Have had an opportunity to watch 2 full games on NFHS during the playoffs. Strange as it seems, I think the best offense for him is the one in place under McClasland. Beautiful looking outside shot but inconsistent with it; especially when he goes too fast. Should certainly make the rotation early. A very good 1st signee with at least 3-5 more. 

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know that he doesn't have a composite rating but 247 rated him an 86.  That's near the top of the 3-star rating.  He seems like a good fit for our program.

Another truism uttered by Ross Hodge is that in his five years of coaching junior college he had to recruit every year because they were always losing some of their better players.  It really comes to light in a two-year program.  

I feel certain that Ross kept his finger on the recruiting pulse and is after above average prospects.  Winning the NIT opens more doors with recruits imho.  No better place to start than the top JC programs.  We won't be what we were last year but we should still be strong.  Cautious optimism and find another Kai Huntsberry.

• Upvote 3