SI Story with Saban and SMU

dodgefan

On 7/15/2022 at 12:27 PM, SMU2006 said:

We had 5,000 at our game against Michigan in Ann Arbor.

You may not want to hear this but for someone in Dallas a trip to Denton to play a team that we have a 34-7 record against historically in early September isn't exactly a great way to spend a Saturday.  

Are you sure?  Your constant attendance on this board seems to contradict your statement. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, rcade said:

Have SMU fans considered the possibility that all of their boosters who envision the school as a big-time football program are either hanging out at Restland or being spoon-fed applesauce by their children as they anticipate a big inheritance?

SMU isn't going to win NIL after 35 years in the wilderness. The mountain is too big to climb. The program's mediocrity is too deeply engrained in the public's perception. A potential recruit today could have a father who isn't even old enough to remember when SMU was a football power.

The NIL initiative I'm involved in is almost exclusively under 40.  So try again.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

18 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

You may not want to hear this but for someone in Dallas a trip to Denton to play a team that we have a 34-7 record against historically in early September isn't exactly a great way to spend a Saturday.  

Telling people your fans don't like to watch the Mustangs play a game in DFW isn't the sick burn you think it is.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, rcade said:

Telling people your fans don't like to watch the Mustangs play a game in DFW isn't the sick burn you think it is.

Objectively not a sick burn.  For most people that live in Dallas a trip up to Denton to play a team that we've historically dominated isn't going to move the needle.  Facts.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

15 hours ago, DentonStang said:

SMU is not going to go out and buy the #1 class in the country and blow out the wallets of ever booster at Alabama, obviously. But we CAN make up for our size and other disadvantages by leveraging a large number of very wealthy alumni. We're sitting on a top 20 transfer class and we haven't even really started using the big money donors for NIL, just the small/midrange donors.  It's a tool that can make us very competitive in the top echelon while we build the brand, infrastructure, fanbase, etc. It's a godsend

So we are back to the days of building the best team money can buy?  No more recruiting on the benefits of the university, its academic programs, its culture, etc., it’s just about money.  18, 19, 20 year olds walking around with a few extra hundred thousand dollars to burn….what could go wrong?

There will be too much money floating around and that will attract the worse and corrupt the best.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Objectively not a sick burn.  For most people that live in Dallas a trip up to Denton to play a team that we've historically dominated isn't going to move the needle.  Facts.

Your Conference Commissioner and School President thinks you need us.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

I’m still wondering when a trip to University Park to watch SMU will move the needle for your “fan base.”  

And your squad has had 7 wins in 5 of the last 10 years (though I mistakenly thought you had better seasons over that time).  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2022 at 12:27 PM, SMU2006 said:

You hang around this game long enough, you (we) learn to accept that the casual fans - the majority of them - don't have these historical records anywhere within their radar.

It's important to keep that in mind for the recruits, too.  Most 16-17 year olds probably don't have more than 2-4 seasons of the college game imprinted on them.  Fandoms are probably anchored in the NFL.  Exceptions may include legacy families, where kids grow up watching their dads build man-caves honoring their schools, and end up seeing a rotation of 10-20 classic CFB games over and over as they grow up. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2022 at 8:10 AM, SMU2006 said:

As an older fan, it is a must for me to sit on the shade side when UNT and SMU play, no matter if it's Denton or Dallas...it's a matter of survival. UNT's student section is so large, that they absorb the lower bowl from end to end. If I was a visiting fan, no chance would I sit in those seats UNT provides for SMU and other visitors. Terrible view and hotter than hades looking into the sun. This summer is hotter than normal, I doubt many SMU fans will risk heat stroke with a terrible view, especially when the game is televised. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, dodgefan said:

As an older fan, it is a must for me to sit on the shade side when UNT and SMU play, no matter if it's Denton or Dallas...it's a matter of survival. UNT's student section is so large, that they absorb the lower bowl from end to end. If I was a visiting fan, no chance would I sit in those seats UNT provides for SMU and other visitors. Terrible view and hotter than hades looking into the sun. This summer is hotter than normal, I doubt many SMU fans will risk heat stroke with a terrible view, especially when the game is televised. 

Terrible view?  It is the same basic seating pattern as the alumni side.  Is the sun brutal? Yes, but don't make shit up to try to hammer your point home.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Terrible view?  It is the same basic seating pattern as the alumni side.  Is the sun brutal? Yes, but don't make shit up to try to hammer your point home.

I have sat in those visitor seats before, not sure if you have. They start at the goal line and go past the back of the end zone. I would  consider that a terrible view. Why so angry?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dodgefan said:

I have sat in those visitor seats before, not sure if you have. They start at the goal line and go past the back of the end zone. I would  consider that a terrible view. Why so angry?

Opening night of Apogee vs. UofH I sat in the lower level of the end zone.  Not my favorite seat, but far from terrible.  As much time as you have spent on this board, why were you sitting in those seats?  I would have guessed you would sit with our fans unless you aren't a fan of North Texas.

• Upvote 1