Mean Green land Matt Wagner

Matt is a 6'5 tight end that excels at both blocking and receiving. He is a former QB and knows the field well, showing great instincts on film. He showcases his blocking a lot on film, and does a great job holding his own. Matt has good hands, and uses his body positioning well to secure the catch in traffic. Matt is a big athletic target that is set for a huge senior season.

My name is Matt Wagner and I am currently a Junior at Rock Hill High School in the Prosper Texas ISD. In addition to being a 4.0 student I am also a 2 year starter at TE. My goal is to assist my team in going to the playoffs, and beyond, as well as playing D1 football. In addition to football I am very active in my community and work as a mentor with younger kids in our school district.

read more:  https://qbhitlist.com/profile/matt-wagner-tx/

• Upvote 4

• 5 months later...

A question for @TheReal_jayDor @aztecskin:

Do you have a feel for how much Morris utilizes his TEs? I feel like we have been very effective lately using the TE but Seth was a long time in getting there. We have (had?) a pretty deep TE group and were recruiting more despite them all being pretty young. 
Is Alberding leaving and this de-commitment a possible sign Morris doesn’t plan to carry a bunch of TEs like Seth did the last two years? Or a perhaps that he prefers the Gumms type super athletic type TE? 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Do you have a feel for how much Morris utilizes his TEs? I feel like we have been very effective lately using the TE but Seth was a long time in getting there. We have (had?) a pretty deep TE group and were recruiting more despite them all being pretty young. 
Is Alberding leaving and this de-commitment a possible sign Morris doesn’t plan to carry a bunch of TEs like Seth did the last two years? Or a perhaps that he prefers the Gumms type super athletic type TE? 

Just watching his past games and teams it doesn't seem like he uses tight ends as much.  That said, I didnt think Seth used them enough either.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

A fun fact about the Air Raid was that it was based on the BYU offense of the 80s. Lavell Edwards used the TE a ton. That “Y” position was the TE. 

Mike Leach and Hal Mumme used the TE a ton (along with split back sets) and it was Leach that eventually split out the TE spot to have another WR. 

This will be a good test of Morris’ ability. I believe you put players in the best positions to succeed. There are plenty of examples of putting TEs in the pass game and having success. If this staff can’t find a way to use Gumms and Roberts? Well they aren’t doing their job right. 

Beyond that TTU didn’t have a big TE tradition, and UIW didn’t have more than an H-back role. Wazzu had been an Air Raid then a Run N Shoot squad so Morris wouldn’t have had to do much TE stuff. Not the way we are thinking of it. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Just watching his past games and teams it doesn't seem like he uses tight ends as much.  That said, I didnt think Seth used them enough either.

I agree, at least up until the last couple years. This year they did a good job of utilizing the talent we have at TE, as evidenced by two all-conference TEs. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, aztecskin said:

A fun fact about the Air Raid was that it was based on the BYU offense of the 80s. Lavell Edwards used the TE a ton. That “Y” position was the TE. 

Mike Leach and Hal Mumme used the TE a ton (along with split back sets) and it was Leach that eventually split out the TE spot to have another WR. 

This will be a good test of Morris’ ability. I believe you put players in the best positions to succeed. There are plenty of examples of putting TEs in the pass game and having success. If this staff can’t find a way to use Gumms and Roberts? Well they aren’t doing their job right. 

Beyond that TTU didn’t have a big TE tradition, and UIW didn’t have more than an H-back role. Wazzu had been an Air Raid then a Run N Shoot squad so Morris wouldn’t have had to do much TE stuff. Not the way we are thinking of it. 

Jace Amaro was an All-American TE in 2013 at Texas Tech, Morris' first year coaching there. Amaro had over 1300 receiving yards and 7 TDs. I don't know Morris' direct involvement there but if that's any indication, I think our TEs will have incredible years. Wonder if that was part of his pitch to Gumms to stay.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Jace Amaro was an All-American TE in 2013 at Texas Tech, Morris' first year coaching there. Amaro had over 1300 receiving yards and 7 TDs. I don't know Morris' direct involvement there but if that's any indication, I think our TEs will have incredible years. Wonder if that was part of his pitch to Gumms to stay.

Possibly. May be the reason we saw our two traditional TE's, Roberts and Alberding, enter the portal, and Gumms and Lee, fingers crossed, stay.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, aztecskin said:

Love CFB history talk.  Mumme...what a treat.

Maybe one day I can share a bottle of whiskey with another fan of the game and we can talk about why Leach was a success and Mumme faded into the shadows.

You wanna see a QB sling it around 70+ times/game? Watch some Mumme film.  I saw it when he was at NMSU

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...