Voertman's at Apogee

Marty

• Marty changed the title to Voertman's at Apogee
18 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Shocking!  I love it and support them but how did they outbid what I assume was B&N operated?

Likely B&N realized that sales from a fraction of the 15k only 6 times a year... with one of those games on a weeknight where it is really only 9k there... they likely didn't re-sign the contract. 

While I like my personal student Voertman memories - the last decade+ that I have stepped foot in there it was like Kmart. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

My issue lately with Voertmans is that they have something that everyone likes and don't order enough.  They quickly sell out and don't order more.

The selection in the store has been good, but limited... and it was limited before Covid.

My issue with B&N was that they wouldn't rotate the selection in the stadium store.  If you went in there week 1, you could see what would be offered the entire season.  Also, the store at the Union closes at 3 on game day when we have a 6:00 game.  That does not make a lot of sense to me.

I am glad we have a stadium store.  I remember the days when we had nothing.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Is Voertmann's still local?

Voertman’s today

Voertman sold the company in 1990 to Nebraska Book Co., and was not heavily involved with the store for nearly the last three decades of his life.

The company was eventually bought by an investment company in 2013. Tanner Clifton, 25, and current general manager for Voertman’s off Hickory Street in Denton, said it was around this time the store began to change its image again.

“Back when Paul owned the store … he did service the students, but he tried to service the community with having that gift store,” Clifton said. “We tried to gear the store really towards UNT.”

Gearing towards the university included stocking clothes that were more affordable for students. Clifton also said they phased out the gift section formerly found in the front of the store and made an art gallery out of it, which has hosted both work from students and local artists.

Clifton also said the store works with the athletic department to help prepare books for athletes.

“We’ve really tried to see what we can do for the school,” Clifton said.

However, some are not a fan of the direction the store has gone in. Chalon said the difference after Voertman sold the store was apparent, calling it “bare bones.”

https://www.ntdaily.com/paul-voertmans-impact-on-denton-and-unt-goes-beyond-a-bookstore/

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Likely B&N realized that sales from a fraction of the 15k only 6 times a year... with one of those games on a weeknight where it is really only 9k there... they likely didn't re-sign the contract. 

Contract was up but it wasn’t B&Ns decision to move out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

note to Voertmans , please stock rain ponchos at the stadium.  When I was a student I thought the name of the play was cash.   I cashed my checks (yes that is how old I am) and the counter ever week to get my 20 bucks the weekend at the Mean Green Inn......lol.  was not a fan of the music but of the chicks that were there.

update sorry I used the work chicks, I guess the term today would be poultry?

Edited by southsideguy
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1