Message from the Big12 Commissioner

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Per Footballscoop.com

New Big 12 Commissioner says league will make 'additive' moves, Big 12 is 'Open for business'

https://footballscoop.com/news/big-12-conference-eyes-adding-members-college-football

I get all the optimism from a dude in a new gig but who really good out there could they add right now?  SMUt? 

• Haha 1

• Still a possibility of a Pac10 school
  • Memphis
  • Boise
  • USF

They only way I could see SMU is if they are able to buy their way in. They have the donors who are willing to give but they bring no TV and no fans.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

They have the donors who are willing to give but they bring no TV and no fans.

Bingo and even when the money buys them a good little winning run they still aren’t good TV brand nor have the potential to be.  The June Jones run and Sonny Dykes leaving is evidence of that.  No religious schools in the country are except the flag ship school of their religions BYU & Notre Dame.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Bingo and even when the money buys them a good little winning run they still aren’t good TV brand nor have the potential to be.  The June Jones run and Sonny Dykes leaving is evidence of that.  No religious schools in the country are except the flag ship school of their religions BYU & Notre Dame.  

naked gun lol GIF by IFC

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:
  • Still a possibility of a Pac10 school
  • Memphis
  • Boise
  • UCF

They only way I could see SMU is if they are able to buy their way in. They have the donors who are willing to give but they bring no TV and no fans.

UCF is already moving to the B12.  Perhaps you meant USF.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Little by little, together we can fix the perceived hierarchy of football in the North Texas region.

That is why this SMU vs UNT rivarly is so savory to me.  Realistic SMU fan know their limitations which is why they blatantly abd desperately flirted with the death penalty and got burned.  As soon as UNT started raising it academic profile and undergrad enrollment surged past 25k we've been a legitimate threat to surplant them as the second most prominent FBS program in DFW.  TCU for a number reasons feel more like Fort Worth's team than SMU feels like Dallas' team.  Once SMU got separated from TCU as a conference rival they should have embraced the rivalry with us.  Rivarly excites people and draws in causal alumni fans to be engaged.  I pretty sure there are probably a few thousand local alumni who have degrees or significant course work from both schools.  I met a couple at games and I am not all that social at games.  

The best opportunity for both schools to raise their local profile is for both to be good and have meaningful passionate close games with Apogee and Ford Stadiums sold out.  If TCU is not an option for one of the richer conferences and there is interest in the DFW market take us both makes more since than just one of us.  Let's say the Pac 12 is long term ambitious and willing grow their revenue  slowly now for bigger long term payout.  Taking current and soon to be Big 12 school out of the equation these are the school I would add and split divisions.   

SMU, UNT, Colorado State, Air Force, Fresno State, San Diego State.

East Division: Arizona, Arizona State, , Colorado, Colorado State, UNT, SMU

West: Utah, San Diego State, Fresno State, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, OSU, Washington, WSU

• Haha 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

2 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

I get all the optimism from a dude in a new gig but who really good out there could they add right now?  SMUt? 

I would think USF, Memphis, Colorado St, Colorado.  Here's a question, does adding anymore Texas school bring value? 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1