If You Were a Breakfast Taco...

Not necessary. If it had been someone on the other side that had said it there would be lots of complaints about oversensitivity to the comments. I get what she meant and that she intended it as a compliment.

This thread will get shut down and rightly so but as long as we seek to attack rather than listen and understand, the division in this country will only get worse.

Let’s get @Coffee and TV, @Censored by Laurie, and @SteaminWillieBeaminin here for their commentary real quick before this one gets shut down.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

I don’t watch enough Fox News I guess.

I thought this was a legitimate question until @Cr1028 chimed in…

Then I had to change my answer from “chorizo, egg, & cheese w/salsa”…

To…. “Poor lady said something unfortunate.  How many of us have said something stupid, not meaning it the way it came out?  If you’ve never done this, consider yourself lucky, or you’re a damn liar.”

She’s already apologized.  Should be water under the bridge.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

She’s already apologized.  Should be water under the bridge.

Fox News?  Who brought that up?

I agree with the next part of your post.

Last, I have a question.  Would the same latitude be extended to the folks on the other side of the aisle or to our former administration's first lady?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Last, I have a question.  Would the same latitude be extended to the folks on the other side of the aisle or to our former administration's first lady?

Absolutely not and that is the problem. There will always be someone on one side or the other that will find offense in someone else’s words regardless of intent.

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, LongJim said:

I like chorizo and egg.  Even bean and chorizo is good.  Papas con huevos is good too, but needs to have bacon or sausage in there.  Maybe a little cheese.

And lots of hot sauce.

Agree and the papas con huevos does need some meat.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don’t watch enough Fox News I guess.

I didn't know that Fox News owned the Texas Tribune. Who said anything about Fox News?

Jill Biden apologizes to Latino community for “breakfast tacos” comment | The Texas Tribune

The National Association of Hispanic Journalists said in a statement that Biden’s comment demonstrated “a lack of cultural knowledge and sensitivity to the diversity of Latinos in the region.”

“We are not tacos,” the statement said.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

Uh oh, looks like I touched a nerve mentioning (some of) Americas favorite news channel.   Chill y’all.  You know those guys are having a field day about this (I don’t because I don’t watch any of those networks)… whereas the other ones probably barely mentioned it, if at all.

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Fox News?  Who brought that up?

I agree with the next part of your post.

By me?  Of course.  Especially her, she’s not a native speaker.  Who knows what kind of comparisons she’d make if she went off script (man, I hope that was off script by Jill)?

• Upvote 4

This should be a non-story.  She obviously meant what she said as a compliment.  She didn’t say Latinos were breakfast tacos.  She said the community was as unique as a breakfast taco.  What could she have said that would have been ok?  The Latino community is as unique as ________.  I don’t know there is anything you could put in the blank that wouldn’t offend someone.  

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Does it make it right for the other side to make a fuss about it?

The "what about'ism" is exhausting.  It's like dealing with children. No, life is not perfectly fair. No, not everyone gets the same leeway. No, not all histories are the same. Yes, some people get to use words others don't. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

The "what about'ism" is exhausting.  It's like dealing with children. No, life is not perfectly fair. No, not everyone gets the same leeway. No, not all histories are the same. Yes, some people get to use words others don't. 

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying, but it seems as though you are justifying a double standard.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

7 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

The whatabout’ism being exhausting is absolutely true.   Just constant deflections from both sides.  Very exhausting.  No one will own up to their words, or their favorite party’s crooks’ words.

And I’m not sure what would qualify Jill to say something Melania couldn’t, certainly in this instance at least (Jill would definitely have leeway when talking about education though, as her qualifications there are legit).

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying, but it seems as though you are justifying a double standard.

You are misunderstanding - just because one side is wrong, doesn't make it right for the other side to do wrong. 

There are definitely instances where one group gets more leeway based upon shared histories or culture. Like, perhaps if a loved hispanic principal got up and said his students are like breakfast tacos in a school assembly. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The whatabout’ism being exhausting is absolutely true.   Just constant deflections from both sides.  Very exhausting.  No one will own up to their words, or their favorite party’s crooks’ words.

And I’m not sure what would qualify Jill to say something Melania couldn’t, certainly in this instance at least (Jill would definitely have leeway when talking about education though, as her qualifications there are legit).

Good points. The problem is when people say something considered inappropriate instead of accepting their apology too many see it as an opportunity to take a shot at someone who disagrees (I am guilty of this). Then instead of moving on you get another round of analyzing if they "really" meant their apology or "just said it". Seems not that long ago we could have disagreements without thinking theor who disagreed with us were evil.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

You are misunderstanding - just because one side is wrong, doesn't make it right for the other side to do wrong. 

There are definitely instances where one group gets more leeway based upon shared histories or culture. Like, perhaps if a loved hispanic principal got up and said his students are like breakfast tacos in a school assembly. 

It literally is a double standard in this case. Seems everyone here has a short memory of Trump doing pretty much the same thing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

How in the world did this thread turn political when all I asked was "if you were a breakfast taco which one would you be?"

15 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I believe tacos are the greatest pathway to peace in our country. 

Truer words were never spoken.

• Haha 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

On 7/12/2022 at 2:58 PM, cwb said:

When I was in middle school, corporal punishment was allowed (70's). We had 4 or 5 guys who would compete to see who could get the most "licks" in the school year. Don't really remember if there was a trophy or anything.

Anyway, are you folks having a competition to see who can get the most threads locked down? Is a prize awarded? Will there be a fantasy draft for those not competing to choose their favorite? 

I like this website because every time I stop by the guys who whine about being persecuted and censored the most are starting fascinating new threads because their families and friends seemingly don’t want to talk politics with them and apparently only our recruiting guru can figure out twitter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5