SMU to PAC12?

He brings up a point of NIL money. SMU will be the dominate force in the AAC on NIL money and most members won't even be close. I'm not sure how that will balance out not having crowds at games. Largest home game crowd was UNT and we were 1/2 the attendance. The PAC sell against the Big 12 is a 1/3 of their members are G5 schools, so now they are recruiting G5 schools? If SMU was attractive they would be in the Big 12!

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, drex said:

If the Pac 12 is interested in scheduling 'exhibition games', SMU is your team.  Crowds in Dallas are exhibition size.

57 minutes ago, drex said:

If the Pac 12 is interested in scheduling 'exhibition games', SMU is your team.  Crowds in Dallas are exhibition size.

Gotta love a school with 40k undergrads that draws flies talking attendance smack to a school with 6,500 students.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

If the PAC wants a foothold in Texas (personally, I don't think they do given the choices, but it's a weird time in college sports), there are better/more attractive candidates than SMU.  That's not intended to be a slight against SMU.  While I don't like SMU, it is a fine institution with a lot to offer.  I just think there are schools in Texas with more to offer the PAC at this point in time than SMU and I suspect any of them would jump at the chance if offered a spot.   SMU's more likely destination is the B12 if/when it expands to 16.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

Gotta love a school with 40k undergrads that draws flies talking attendance smack to a school with 6,500 students.

At least we're not delusional enough to think we belong in a power conference. BTW, you're welcome for the great crowd we give y'all in Dallas every couple years. Maybe one day SMU will have a big enough fanbase to do the same thing in Denton. 

• Upvote 2

Other than just having recruiting ties to Texas, I don't see the PAC12 adding SMU.  They don't really add to the pot.  That's really the problem the Pac12 has in general.. who do you add that could brings in more $ per school than they would have otherwise?  There really isn't anyone.  They are in a tough spot.

7 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Gotta love a school who markets themselves as "Dallas' Team" but when their attendance is low they start saying "we only have 6,500 students". I will give you that you have deep pockets alums who like to give their money in hopes of regaining the "We used-to-be" status. However, cut it out with the we're Dallas' team crap

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

At least we're not delusional enough to think we belong in a power conference. BTW, you're welcome for the great crowd we give y'all in Dallas every couple years. Maybe one day SMU will have a big enough fanbase to do the same thing in Denton. 

Would be nice if the game was competitive in the second half. 

• Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

I’ll say this again, for the benefit of the slower kids. 

North Texas has a much larger enrollment, sitting in a town of 137k or so.  SMU has a smaller enrollment but sits in the center of a city of 1.4M.  That means that “Dallas’ Team” (they even put the Dallas D on the helmets) can’t manage to consistently draw more than about 1% of the city they occupy while going WAY out of their way to claim people give a rat’s ass. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I’ll say this again, for the benefit of the slower kids. 

North Texas has a much larger enrollment, sitting in a town of 137k or so.  SMU has a smaller enrollment but sits in the center of a city of 1.4M.  That means that “Dallas’ Team” (they even put the Dallas D on the helmets) can’t manage to consistently draw more than about 1% of the city they occupy while going WAY out of their way to claim people give a rat’s ass. 

I don't always agree with your line of thinking, but this is spot on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

I'm curious which schools you're referring to?

Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU and Houston would be ahead of SMU IMHO.  I'd probably put Houston ahead of Baylor and TCU.  The PAC would not have to dip into the G5 community if they wanted into Texas, but unlike others, I don't think they need a Texas presence.  I don't think the PAC is at death's door, as some seem to think.  It still has a solid core and will remain the center of gravity for schools in the left half of the country.

• Upvote 1