Arizona State to stay with PAC 12

9 minutes ago, TCC Mean Green said:

According to Sports Illustrated.  What does this Mean (if anything) for the Green? #GMG

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/arizonastate/.amp/football/arizona-state-pac-12-big-12-conference

I think this is very good news from what I can gather.  Now the Pac 12 will likely go after the best Mountain West teams to backfill for losing UCLA and USC.  This puts the AAC is a better position.

• Upvote 2

For the remaining Pac12, I don’t think they view the B12 as materially better than staying together and perhaps picking off a couple MWC schools.  BYU would jump from the Big12 in a heartbeat like TCU did.  

If the Big12 can’t woo any Pac12 schools, then they need to decide if it’s better to stand pat or try to go big.  They may find themselves in a bidding war with the Pac12 for the same MWC schools if they choose to go big. 

If the MWC is going to get picked apart, then The American should extend invites to Air Force, Colorado State and Army ASAP.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

they are committed until they are not.

Exactly.  This is only put out as trying to calm all the emails he is getting, lol.  

If the offer from the Big?12 is comparable to the new Pac12 future media deal they are working on, then ASU will change their minds....  or as soon as AZ, Colo, and Utah say they are leaving, then ASU is also on that bus...

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, keith said:

For the remaining Pac12, I don’t think they view the B12 as materially better than staying together and perhaps picking off a couple MWC schools.  BYU would jump from the Big12 in a heartbeat like TCU did.  

If the Big12 can’t woo any Pac12 schools, then they need to decide if it’s better to stand pat or try to go big.  They may find themselves in a bidding war with the Pac12 for the same MWC schools if they choose to go big. 

If the MWC is going to get picked apart, then The American should extend invites to Air Force, Colorado State and Army ASAP.  

Just curious why you think BYU would jump?

22 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Exactly.  This is only put out as trying to calm all the emails he is getting, lol.  

If the offer from the Big?12 is comparable to the new Pac12 future media deal they are working on, then ASU will change their minds....  or as soon as AZ, Colo, and Utah say they are leaving, then ASU is also on that bus...

I guess it comes down to believing Oregon, Washington, and Stanford will stay.  They all want out. What happens when the new TV deal is 50% or less? Fox wanted the Pac12 for the LA market - Their home.

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

What happens when the new TV deal is 50% or less? Fox wanted the Pac12 for the LA market - Their home.

“Fox has chosen to steer away from the Pac-12 as a part of its future. It’s ESPN or bust for the Pac-12. Maybe this includes the Big 12. Maybe it doesn’t. Fox, though, is out of the picture.”

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/04/why-espn-not-fox-is-the-network-which-can-save-the-pac-12/

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

PAC and MWC biggest problem is the time zone. Both leagues need access to the CTZ. Would not be surprised if both conferences made an attempt. This is why the AAC should form a partnership with the MWC and the PAC should do the same with the Big 12.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 3

On 7/8/2022 at 3:34 PM, DeepGreen said:

With everything going on, I've lost track of where UTEP is headed?  Remain in CUSA?  Hope they end up in the Mountain West.

UTEP remains in CUSA.  However, CUSA now has New Mexico State as a conference mate.  Maybe the two of them might be choices for the MWC should the Mountain West lose two or more members.

• Upvote 2

On 7/8/2022 at 2:35 PM, TCC Mean Green said:

According to Sports Illustrated.  What does this Mean (if anything) for the Green? #GMG

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/arizonastate/.amp/football/arizona-state-pac-12-big-12-conference

This is not an A.D. decision, but one made by a schools Board and President. " Southsideguy" hit the nail on the head. They are in until they are not. Last year the Big 12 asked the PAC 12 after losing Texas and OU if they could merge with them. Their new commissioner said thanks but no thanks. Now the Big 12 has reloaded, the PAC has lost their "big 2", and have nowhere to go. Just a guess and by golly but I see the PAC remainders circling the wagons and adding two programs. SDSU and SMU  names pop up as does Houston and Boise as contenders. Rumor has it that the Big 12 wants to get to 16 programs. If they can't pry anyone lose from the PAC, then Boise, Colorado State,Memphis, and South Florida come to mind but would need ESPN to sign off . The main problem is that when the PAC and Big 12 start looking at programs that don't include their respective conferences none bring enough eyeballs to warrant enough tv money for inclusion as existing members of both conferences don't want to equally share a smaller pie. I don't see how any of these realignment effect North Texas unless SMU ends up in the PAC which eliminates a neighborhood conference rival.

• Downvote 1

On 7/9/2022 at 7:36 AM, Wag Tag said:

PAC and MWC biggest problem is the time zone. Both leagues need access to the CTZ....

This is why the AAC should form a partnership with the MWC 

I think a partnership with the MWC would be very beneficial, especially scheduling OOC games, in all sports.  Much better than scheduling FCS or Dll schools like we do.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I think a partnership with the MWC would be very beneficial, especially scheduling OOC games, in all sports.  Much better than scheduling FCS or Dll schools like we do.

Seen no indications that the G5's are willing (code for smart enough) to work together but this would seem to be a move that keeps the two conferences at the top of the G5 level

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Agree, there would be no reason to schedule OOC games with the MWC and they do the reverse with the AAC. We could also play a championship game in Vegas!