NCAA Conference Realignment Got You Down? Blame Texas.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:38 PM, DentonLurker said:

This article is ridiculous. So his premise is that UT single-handedly caused all of this? Sure, man...

Yes it is a stretch.  There are a lot of move 30 plus years old that laid the groundwork for this.  Unfortunately since the dissolution of CFA making every school a free agent when it comes to media revenue this was bound to happen.  Leagues just don't function well without revenue sharing.  The big dogs can't be so greedy they kill the competition income wise and have compelling on the field competition each week.  Long story short it is now ESPN and Fox are dictating these changes.  They could easily play hardball with conferences and say we are going to pay your "elite" conference well but not at the expense of giving another conference a reasonable contract that still allows them to compete.  Y'all can always go pay per view.  But we guarantee that income won't be as stable.  Also the Vandy's, Purdues, Northwestern's, Washington States and etc will be servely hurt by the financial hit sparsing those rights out.  Texas could have slowed all this down big time.  And they definitely could have gotten Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and A&M to stay with more equitable revenue sharing structure in the Big 12.   Maybe you lose one of them at worse but they could have replaced any of them.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Wonder how long before UT decides going to the SEC was not such a good idea.  They couldn't win in the Big 12, SEC will not be easier.

Yes, when these elite programs all join together in conferences... several will lose more games than their fanbase is used to.   And the fans will complain, donors will complain, ADs and Coaches will be fired.  It will be great!  

• Upvote 4

Well, how far off is the writer? Is the writer off because of angle or because of how UT has influenced any conference they've been in? Hear me out. There's a reason Arkansas left the SWC. There's a reason Colorado, Nebraska, aTm, and Missouri left the Big 12. 

What is the recurring statement? "because UT" 

Premier programs aren't joining UT's conference, they are leaving it. Yes, the Big 8 and SWC merged, but that is different than other programs saying, "hey, I want to join the SWC" 

Texas and OU leaving the Big 12 was just a logical step in all of this "Super NIL" conferences being formed nonsense. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LitMedallion said:

Well, how far off is the writer? Is the writer off because of angle or because of how UT has influenced any conference they've been in? Hear me out. There's a reason Arkansas left the SWC. There's a reason Colorado, Nebraska, aTm, and Missouri left the Big 12. 

What is the recurring statement? "because UT" 

Premier programs aren't joining UT's conference, they are leaving it. Yes, the Big 8 and SWC merged, but that is different than other programs saying, "hey, I want to join the SWC" 

Texas and OU leaving the Big 12 was just a logical step in all of this "Super NIL" conferences being formed nonsense. 

It wasn't Texas, per se, that caused other big schools to leave.  It was more revenue available joining other conferences, plus the Longhorn Network, that did it.  Like the writer mentions, Texas prevented a Big12 Network from happening, so no wealth sharing.  The fat cat was despised, but still liked enough by the smaller programs because a game filled away stadiums.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, NT80 said:

It wasn't Texas, per se, that caused other big schools to leave.  It was more revenue available joining other conferences, plus the Longhorn Network, that did it.  Like the writer mentions, Texas prevented a Big12 Network from happening, so no wealth sharing.  The fat cat was despised, but still liked enough by the smaller programs because a game filled away stadiums.

It's amazing and really an odd flex to be in a conference and pull this stunt. I understand not saying no because that's a lot of scratch, but SEC and B1G have their networks and it works perfectly for them. Of course, it didn't help the PAC, but I remember a lot of PAC football games not being shown. I do remember all the other non-revenue sports being shown though. 

• Upvote 1