I am worried

greengal

10 minutes ago, greengal said:

I am worried that we are not going to find a landing spot in all this mess!

I feel your pain, we all do and while I am certain we will find a spot it may be less than perfect. No one even knows how or where the pieces will fall at this point and certainly a bunch of unknowns will factor in all of which is way out of our control. Let's just circle the wagons and hunker down, get through the winter. Stay warm and stay together.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

There are a zillion chips to fall yet.  We are in good position and have made a ton of strides in recent years.  We need to add winning into that mix so our fan base can reengage, but we really are in a hell of a lot better spot these days than we were a few years back.  It’s a journey.  Hoping Seth can get it done this year but if he doesn’t I trust Wren to make a good hire going into next year.  Things are tough for nearly every school except a select few right now, but it’ll work out.  We have a good combo of quality leadership and fans who are tired of not winning to hold said leadership accountable.  That’s a healthy mix so I’m optimistic. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I heard/read all of this about a year ago.  Many thought we were getting left behind in CUSA, our leadership was dragging their feet and not ready for a move up and then we were announced to be moving to the AAC and everyone was happy.  I have learned that our leadership does things quietly and doesn't announce anything until it is a sure thing.  As stated above, we are in a good position and just need to right the ship in football to reingage the fanbase.

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1

14 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Don't we have a landing spot?   Did I miss something?

If you did, so did I.  We have a landing spot in a better conference, with a great commissioner.  And, unlike the old days, we have a president and athletic director that are much more active in moving us forward.  The rest is up to us.

• Upvote 5

I would be much more worried if I was UTEP. On an island, very little recent success in most sports, already passed up for conference realignment. We are in a good spot and have made major investments in our athletics that have been noticed. The American will be good for us

• Upvote 6

37 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I would be much more worried if I was UTEP. On an island, very little recent success in most sports, already passed up for conference realignment. We are in a good spot and have made major investments in our athletics that have been noticed. The American will be good for us

UTEP is almost in a no-win situation.  Their only chance for improvement as I see it is for what will be left of the Mountain West if the remaining Pac12 teams take two from the current Mountain West.  UTEP has recently improved its football program to the point where they would not be dead weight.  Their basketball program is decent (remember they beat us in our last game of the season).  They used to have premier track and field teams so that might be another plus if they can return to glory.

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, greengal said:

I am worried that we are not going to find a landing spot in all this mess!

Not sure this is going to calm your nerves but here goes-

The big shakedown and NIL situation were going to happen and needed to happen so college football can get to a point where teams/conferences can see where they are in the landscape and act accordingly. Is it going to be a uncertain shitshow for a few years? Yes. 

We may not end up in a situation where we are in the same conversation with the UTs and Bamas of the college football world but there is a possibility that we end up better for it. I want to play more meaningful games at the end of the season and even if we go 10-2 right now, we still up in a half ass bowl. If NT ends up playing other G5 or lower P5 teams for some kind of championship at the end of the season, I’m here for it. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/7/2022 at 3:45 PM, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

If I was UTEP I would be having hope again right now. Because it is not that unlikely that they can end in a slightly watered down MWC. Even watered down, that would be better for UTEP than this new C-USA where they and NMSU are just a bad geographical outlier.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1