Former CUSAs and the New AAC

From a UTSA donor perspective.

It just seems like once the pie was large enough for the CUSA schools and the transitioning AAC schools to gain that the P5s still found a way to gobble it up. The AAC is 3rd tier now. Why do I say third tier? It's clear that the SEC and B1G has separated from ACC and Big 12. The ACC and Big 12 are clearly higher than any G5 conference. This results in one thing. The only programs making the playoffs will be SEC/B1G and maybe 1 each from ACC and Big12. Will the AAC still get a CFP payment? What will our TV contract look? We know the PAC will be renegotiated downward while the Top 2 renegotiate upwards. It has to.

What does this mean in TV contract for us(former CUSA schools)? The less than 1 million a year was terrible in CUSA. In UTSA's case, will the AAC contract even cover Coach Traylor's salary? I know it does "right now", but too many variables have changed to guarantee a non-renegotiating. 

The AAC taking Rice was a dumb move. No one cares about Rice, but Rice. I live in Houston and no one cares about them. Academics? That's out the window, but Tulsa had that covered anyway.  

With the NCAA being emasculated, all bets are off.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same" meaning will any of us truly benefit?

Yes, I'm a doom and gloomer at heart. LOL.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

What will TV even look like in 10 years?  Cable TV is going away, everything seems to be moving to an app based viewing platform.  ESPN/ABC does not need 6 different channels and 3 different streaming platforms, when a single streaming app can do it all.   Eventually that is how it will be, all the schools with espn deals will be shown through a single app, same can be said for FOX, CBS, and NBC. 

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

A G5 getting into the play off picture isn’t going to happen. The P2 Will control and a weak P3 conference team may get in. AAC should form an alliance with the MWC, the Mac with the Sunbelt. Have a champion come out of each league then have a playoff to crown a G5 champion. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

A G5 getting into the play off picture isn’t going to happen. The P2 Will control and a weak P3 conference team may get in. AAC should form an alliance with the MWC, the Mac with the Sunbelt. Have a champion come out of each league then have a playoff to crown a G5 champion. 

A team from the AAC was JUST IN the CFP 7 months ago!

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

i kind of disagree with the original post... make no mistake... if the Big 10 and SEC fully split... everyone below them is Tier 3... there will be no Tier 2, sorry Big 12, ACC and Pac 12(10?)

Yes but who will lead the second tier? That could impact is eventually as I would think that league is where we realistically could be.  Like if the Pac10 survives and eats off a couple of Big 12 programs or Mountain West programs will those programs look to Texas for teams?

if the pac (?) does stay together they will draw from the MWC, San Diego State, Fresno State, maybe even the island school.   Utah State and Bosie State.   It will leave the MWC scrambling and what is left can look elsewhere or draw from CUSA, UTEP LA TECH.  If it goes that way I don't see anyone in the AAC going to the MW.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, golfingomez said:

i kind of disagree with the original post... make no mistake... if the Big 10 and SEC fully split... everyone below them is Tier 3... there will be no Tier 2, sorry Big 12, ACC and Pac 12(10?)

It's hard to sell me on the ACC being a Tier 3, but I see what you're saying. I'm not saying the entire conference because we all know WF or Duke are strugglebus most years, but Va Tech, Clemson, UNC, FSU, Miami are not Tier 3. We'd(UNT or UTSA) take being in that conference over being in the new Big 12, if offered. that' show I see it. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

What if the ACC gets raided and comes and decides to add us?  Would we be interested in leaving?  I get that odds of this are low but it sounds like they may get a ton of defections soon.

Really depends on the landscape, but in a scenario where B1G and SEC have each gone to 24, I would assume the B12 would also go to 24 to claim they're on the same level as the other two. At that point, there is no more ACC.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, LitMedallion said:

It's hard to sell me on the ACC being a Tier 3, but I see what you're saying. I'm not saying the entire conference because we all know WF or Duke are strugglebus most years, but Va Tech, Clemson, UNC, FSU, Miami are not Tier 3. We'd(UNT or UTSA) take being in that conference over being in the new Big 12, if offered. that' show I see it. 

If there is going to be a full split, Clemson and UNC would get scooped up for sure... and that's when you start seeing how the other schools values start dropping significantly... 

What will be really interesting is if some of the schools get voted off the Big Ten/SEC island... (looking at you Rutgers, Purdue, Vandy and Mizzou)

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

If there is going to be a full split, Clemson and UNC would get scooped up for sure... and that's when you start seeing how the other schools values start dropping significantly... 

What will be really interesting is if some of the schools get voted off the Big Ten/SEC island... (looking at you Rutgers, Purdue, Vandy and Mizzou)

So, just heard that Clemson, FSU, UNC, and Virginia are reaching out to the SEC. So, yeah, you may be a soothsayer of sorts. LOL

13 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Until changes are made there are still five conferences at each level.  I know that you are glad to leave it but CUSA is still a G5 conference.  

Since there are no requirements to meet P5 and G5 are currently based on the conference that you are in.  Independents are G5 with the exception of Notre Dame.  That will change this fall when BYU begins playing in the Big XII.

In other words there is no true playoff system where teams have equal chances.

• Upvote 3