Jump to content
  • North Texas vs. UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

So, UNT Wants to play with the Big Boys?


Recommended Posts

Neither SMU nor UNT is going to end up with the "Big Boys" when all is said and done.

Nobody gives a rat's ass about either school, and neither have the ability to carry the market they are in. When the dust settles, we'll be together in the 2nd tier. Just spend this time dreaming of the wonderful schadenfreude when we'll be joined in due time by the likes of TCU, Tech, Baylor, and the rest that are getting kicked to the curb to make way for the super league.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Same problem every year, UNT does not even try to promote a fan base in DFW... Money is great, but UNT has the larger alumni population int DFW, there is no reason that UNT should not kill SMU in local TV ratings every week.  There is no reason for UNT games not to be on at every major sports bar in DFW (especially the ones that are popular with college football).  All it takes is hustle!

 

17 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

What does that make UNT?

The team that we be in your conference bringing the most fans to your stadium.  SMU isn’t embraceable to the common fan in the DFW market.  SMU and TCU has benefited from a series of self inflicted wound UNT Athletics has visited upon itself.  Since the 1980s we’ve never put together 4 year run of averaging 8-10 wins a year.  That is pathetic and doesn’t build dedication fanbase among the hundreds of thousands of local alumni and community with connections to UNT.   People need to have faith in a program and that faith be rewarded from time to time to donate.  Those rewards are winning big games.  That is a huge part of the reason I was done with Seth before last season.  You can’t lose watershed moment big home games like the loss to La Tech 2018.  And he has consistently lost big games ever since except the “save my job games” that his mediocre record created for himself.  We aren’t on par with or surpassing SMU because we make bad decisions like giving him extensions and unwarranted raises. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

On the eve of my 51’st year following all this, but have these SMU-UNT “discussions” come to this as seen in the video below? 🫣

(I did slip over to PonyFans.com & saw ‘Stangers are already talking about bringing a larger than usual group to Apogee Stadium for the UNT season home opener).  
 

GMG!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

On the eve of my 51’st year following all this, but have these SMU-UNT “discussions” come to this as seen in the video below? 🫣

(I did slip over to PonyFans.com & saw ‘Stangers are already talking about bringing a larger than usual group to Apogee Stadium for the UNT season home opener).  
 

GMG!

Interesting how people call the ticket office when they want tickets. 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

 

The team that we be in your conference bringing the most fans to your stadium.  SMU isn’t embraceable to the common fan in the DFW market.  SMU and TCU has benefited from a series of self inflicted wound UNT Athletics has visited upon itself.  Since the 1980s we’ve never put together 4 year run of averaging 8-10 wins a year.  That is pathetic and doesn’t build dedication fanbase among the hundreds of thousands of local alumni and community with connections to UNT.   People need to have faith in a program and that faith be rewarded from time to time to donate.  Those rewards are winning big games.  That is a huge part of the reason I was done with Seth before last season.  You can’t lose watershed moment big home games like the loss to La Tech 2018.  And he has consistently lost big games ever since except the “save my job games” that his mediocre record created for himself.  We aren’t on par with or surpassing SMU because we make bad decisions like giving him extensions and unwarranted raises. 

Right now if you stack SMU, TCU, and UNT up against each other as to which school is most embraceable, its probably SMU.  SMU's games are always highlighted on all the local news broadcasts, more mentions on local radio, and every sports bar in DFW has SMU on their TV list.  TCU does better in TV because of who they are playing. 

UNT with the population we have in the DFW area should dominate a school like SMU in the TV market, but its hard to do that when UNT can't even make the TV list at most sports bars in the area! 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Concerning SMU

Not sure many of you quite understand the magnitude, the height and depth of the pride as well as the financial resources some of SMU loyalists have.  
 

It’s the kind that makes smoke come out of God’s nostrils. 

Never, and I repeat, never ever count SMU out of anything especially in the world we now live in. You might make yourself look foolish one day. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Never, and I repeat, never ever count SMU out of anything especially in the world we now live in. You might make yourself look foolish one day. 

Agree they cannot be underestimated and NIL seems to play into their strengths.

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Concerning SMU

Not sure many of you quite understand the magnitude, the height and depth of the pride as well as the financial resources some of SMU loyalists have.  
 

It’s the kind that makes smoke come out of God’s nostrils. 

Never, and I repeat, never ever count SMU out of anything especially in the world we now live in. You might make yourself look foolish one day. 

NIL doesn’t equate to buying a championship.  If they even get close the powers that be will make an adjustment.  If was just about money we would NEVER been nipping at their heals almost joining same conference with them in 2013 or joining them barring another huge shake up in 2023.  They are elitist Highland Park old money team not Dallas’ team or DFWs.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.