Where does this PAC 12 deal leave us?

Jonnyeagle

Obviously our basketball program has become respectable. Our football is a huge disappointment but our other sports seem to be doing well. Yet schools like UTSA are drawing more eyeballs with a tiny budget and shitty facilities due to winning due to good coaching hires and excellent scheduling that has helped them increase their attendance.  Say what you will about Traylor but the guy got them into the top 25 before we beat them and Littrell has never come close to sniffing that.  I want to think we belong in the Big 12 but wonder if we have what it takes to make the next cut and what it will take to get there.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

22 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Obviously our basketball program has become respectable. Our football is a huge disappointment but our other sports seem to be doing well. Yet schools like UTSA are drawing more eyeballs with a tiny budget and shitty facilities due to winning due to good coaching hires and excellent scheduling that has helped them increase their attendance.  Say what you will about Traylor but the guy got them into the top 25 before we beat them and Littrell has never come close to sniffing that.  I want to think we belong in the Big 12 but wonder if we have what it takes to make the next cut and what it will take to get there.

We can't compete in CUSA on the field and you're thinking about ready to move up?

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Ya I know sounds crazy but just trying to figure out what our goals should be.

You ask a legitimate question and I hope a base of new Mean Green fans push those very buttons.  UNT can be exciting in football as well as basketball and the old adage “that’s just the way it is “ shouldn’t be accepted. Stir the pot . Ask the questions and expect answers.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 minutes ago, cogido said:

You ask a legitimate question and I hope a base of new Mean Green fans push those very buttons.  UNT can be exciting in football as well as basketball and the old adage “that’s just the way it is “ shouldn’t be accepted. Stir the pot . Ask the questions and expect answers.

NIL is going to be a top factor in the football competition race. This will be a huge advantage for SMU!

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

Surprisingly I think this may all turn out to be a good thing for NT. If the Big12 takes in the Arizonas plus 2-4 it probably means that none of the other AAC western teams get in, stabilizing that part of the conference. And if the ACC has to backfill because programs found a way to leave for the SEC (or chance the legal uncertainties), then it will probably regionalise the conference in a way that is advantageous for NT. hat seems the most likely scenario to me, and In a stable conference with an actual identity NT may well thrive.

If however the Big12 can't get anyone from the Pac10 to move over, then NTs shiny new conference may be toast before NT ever joins.

Edited by outoftown

I think everyone, especially so called "analysts," need to pump the brakes on UTSA.  It's obviously a what have you done for me lately world, but they had one good year last year and that was a result of a relatively weak schedule and winning 4 of those games by 3 points or less.  Yes they have only been playing for a short time, but have only amassed an overall record of 60-62 (.492).  Take away last season and they are 48-60 (.444).  They have been to 3 bowl games (you know, those crappy, participation bowls) losing all of them.  They came into Apogee with an opportunity for an undefeated season and we clobber stomped them.  Right now, they are just a shiny new object, not some juggernaut ready to run with the big boys (at least not yet).  They, like anyone at our level, need to demonstrate some staying power over a few seasons before they join the G5 elite.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I'll give UTSA some credit, they have an actual fan base in the San Antonio south Texas region.  when you visit the area you will see UTSA stickers on cars and people wearing the schools merch all over the place.  UNT has yet to develop a legit fan base in the greater DFW area. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

47 minutes ago, keith said:

I think everyone, especially so called "analysts," need to pump the brakes on UTSA.  It's obviously a what have you done for me lately world, but they had one good year last year and that was a result of a relatively weak schedule and winning 4 of those games by 3 points or less.  Yes they have only been playing for a short time, but have only amassed an overall record of 60-62 (.492).  Take away last season and they are 48-60 (.444).  They have been to 3 bowl games (you know, those crappy, participation bowls) losing all of them.  They came into Apogee with an opportunity for an undefeated season and we clobber stomped them.  Right now, they are just a shiny new object, not some juggernaut ready to run with the big boys (at least not yet).  They, like anyone at our level, need to demonstrate some staying power over a few seasons before they join the G5 elite.

This is so spot on regarding UTSA.   And they still have crappy facilities (see basketball) and lower revenue than we do.     We don't deserve to run with the big boys now, but UTSA is no better.    One top 25 FB season and they are suddenly the second coming.    People really show their ignorance when building up UTSA right now.    

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I don’t mean this with any irony: I am pretty pleased with the fact that a six-win season and a bowl game equals a “huge disappointment” for many here. 
You’ve come a long way, baby. Now if only those expectations were matched by donations!

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

I'll give UTSA some credit, they have an actual fan base in the San Antonio south Texas region.  when you visit the area you will see UTSA stickers on cars and people wearing the schools merch all over the place.  UNT has yet to develop a legit fan base in the greater DFW area. 

They have no one to compete with during FB season. Only the Spurs to share the spotlight with.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

i thought we got some votes a few years back before we lost to La Tech?

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

They have no one to compete with during FB season. Only the Spurs to share the spotlight with.

Less local competition, but they do get their brand out there... I have seen UTSA tshirts for sale at Walmart in Austin, I doubt you could find a UNT tshirt in Dallas.   My point is, "Old Denton" does not seem eager to promote a fan base among the greater DFW area. 

• Confused 1
  • Pissed 1

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I don’t mean this with any irony: I am pretty pleased with the fact that a six-win season and a bowl game equals a “huge disappointment” for many here. 
You’ve come a long way, baby. Now if only those expectations were matched by donations!

My donations are my still unpaid student loans, if that counts for anything 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

The truth is, I don't think anyone is moving up at this time.

There's going to be:

Tier 1- Big 10 and SEC

Tier 2- Some combo of the Big 12/Pac 12 and ACC

Tier 3- Everyone else

I don't really see anyone moving up to Tier 1 or Tier 2 at this time. Any upward mobility will have to be the long game.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Where does this PAC 12 deal leave us?

Where these things always leave us -- waiting for the phone to ring as middle school prom night gets closer and closer, fooling ourselves into thinking that Cyndi Tartar is going to call. But she doesn't, even though our mom insists that we're a catch.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1