Scholarships left?

Shark84

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

We still have one left. Looking like we’ll go into the season with 12 of our potential 13 scholarship spots filled.

Correct me if I'm wrong: in this situation, it is NOT a use-it-or-lose-it spot.  We would be able to use that extra offer in the next cycle.

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Correct me if I'm wrong: in this situation, it is NOT a use-it-or-lose-it spot.  We would be able to use that extra offer in the next cycle.

Technically you could use it in both cycles if the player you used it on leaves after this season. You get the lesser of 13 spots or however many spots you have available each class. Not like football where there is a class limit that could prevent you from reaching the overall team limit.

On 7/6/2022 at 7:35 AM, BillySee58 said:

We still have one left. Looking like we’ll go into the season with 12 of our potential 13 scholarship spots filled.

So why not find another player to use it on?   I guess I don't understand the reasoning for not using it and developing more depth and another potential future starter.

19 minutes ago, NT80 said:

So why not find another player to use it on?   I guess I don't understand the reasoning for not using it and developing more depth and another potential future starter.

Given how late we are in the process, the danger in just using it on someone you think you can develop is that if they aren’t good they just can end up eating up that scholarship spot for years. For example, last year our late addition was Bryce Zephir. He still technically has 3 years of eligibility left.

When he played last year he looked like a guy who had a long way to go to become rotation player caliber. Maybe he improves a lot, maybe he doesn’t. 

Looks like we sent out a late offer for Yaxel Lendeborg. Definitely possible we fill that spot.

• Thanks 1